Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 12:06 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default New/Old Paladin re-re-returning after 10 years

Hey everyone! I'm back after a 10-year absence. I downloaded and installed EQ and p99 with Duxa's UI and logged back into blue after 9 years and 10 months of doing other things. I arrived at the character select screen and suddenly remembered I had logged out on the 2nd floor of Unrest when I was soloing in there. So I came back into the game after 10 years and was immediately under attack... Dammit, I still love Unrest. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My plan had been to immediately run down the stairs and train to the zone line if the zone was relatively unpopulated, because I assumed I would have a half dozen mobs on me when I logged in. Instead, I had one mob, and I could see that several other groups were in the zone exp'ing (this was about 10 PM EST).
I could see that several other groups were in the zone because THERE WERE ALMOST NO TEXTURES VISIBLE. The only thing I could see were monsters, other players, and one tree. So I couldn't see any of the house, and therefore I couldn't see where to run to. I killed my one skelly and sat my butt back down and logged out, not daring to move and not knowing what else to do.
Has anyone had this issue? (I'm going to re-post this in the Technical Issues forum.)
Old 03-25-2021, 01:03 PM
Sarnak

Are you trying to play on Green? I don't think Green allows custom UIs
Old 03-25-2021, 04:22 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

No, I'm on Blue. I guess I'll stay there since I already have a 33 paladin and 19 chanter on Blue.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:46 PM
Fire Giant

If you have gear I'd stick on blue. People might say there is not enough groups but I have a feeling that there are groups but not to that maximum level of a full group. I'm from red though so I'm used to that.

I like only having a troll warrior with regen, a rogue and a ranger to try to figure out how to get into MM.

Also its hard to start a new character. I couldn't switch to rogue on my paladin forever because I was afraid of starting over. Now I am an alt-aholic.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:32 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default New/Old Paladin re-re-returning after 10 years

Yeah, Deezle seems to be pretty well geared. His AC is high and he seemed to be smashing his way through blue cons without much problem last night. And apparently, I got him jboots at one point so he was able to outrun a train in Unrest while making his way to the zone line.
It's been a LOOOONG time since I've played. Getting used to hitting /loc while running from a train was a bit of a shock, but it also made me grin ear to ear. For a minute there I was back in the early days of EQ and loving the ride. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So pardon my amnesia, but I have a few "returning noob" questions:
1. I know I had a little compass on my screen back in the day. Is that not a thing on blue? Is my UI out of date? Or do I just need to type in a secret command to get it back? (Is it /compass? I'm at work right now so I can't check it until tonight.)
2. Wasn't there an in-game map? I know there wasn't one in the first couple of years of EQ but I remember that it was added at some point.
3. Is there a way to re-map the movement keys from WASD to 4,8,6, and 2? I'm a lefty so the right-hand number pad works much better for me. I couldn't find any info about that online last night.
4. I went into my inventory and was pleasantly surprised to discover that I had gotten some good armor for Deezle Junior. Several pieces of Deepwater armor and some jewelry made by my chanter alt gives him some nice stats. But when I mouse over or right click, I only see "Deepwater Bracer" or something similar; no stats. Wasn't there a way to see the stats of the item?
Man, it's been so long. Forgive me for the dumb questions, I've forgotten so much. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-26-2021, 12:55 PM
Large Bat

It might be out of date go to options (Alt + O) and you click Load UI and choose the default and see if that helps.

There is no in game map enabled on p99, youre best bet is to go by the maps on the wiki. Having a 2nd monitor makes this much better.

In the options you should see a Key Bind tab, you can sort what keys you want mapped from there.

Only kunark class BP and Legs had stats, all the other pieces just had clicky spells on them. To bring the stat box up of the item though you long right click the item, I might be thinking it wrong though but pretty sure its a long right click and it should pop up.

Above all else welcome back!
Old 03-26-2021, 03:11 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks so much! I'm thrilled to be back! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-03-2021, 10:38 AM
Kobold

Welcome back! Paladins has a well cemented use here on p99, unlike dirty Shadowknights who are simple taunt sluts all the way up to level 55 where warrior discipline ruins any use they had... Paladins have Lay hands and paladin buffs which makes them useful!
t. useless shadownknight