Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 04-22-2022, 05:05 PM
Banned

Default As a long time player...

I have played EQ on and off for most of 23 years and I find that EQ as a whole is a dying game. Genre. Could we make Everquest Great Again?

For me. A focus entirely on psuedobalanced (rock paper scissors) pvp and a repurposing of all the content and art assets for a better progression (focused more on pvp instead of PvE). And a continuation of original quests and storylines that remain unfinished. Flavor text and conversations and faction intrigue that was cut in order to spend more time on NToV and ST. And a deeper more robust crafting and gathering system.

What would it take to get you to come back to the game?
Old 04-22-2022, 05:12 PM
Banned

"player"

go eat dirt or something
Old 04-22-2022, 05:26 PM
Planar Protector

OP reading their threads first reply

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-22-2022, 06:31 PM
Banned

I wouldn't hit Tunabros. Plus even in my weekend state I probably tower over them. I still believe one day Tunabros will turn a corner instead of belittling a poster will contribute to a thread in a meaningful way. I'll never rule that out so long as Tunabros is alive.

Really, just if Tunabros found Jesus Christ. I believe their whole world would change for the better without having to change anything. Just because they would feel better about what they have and who they have to share it with. Even if tge Chinese invaded Hong Kong. I believe Tunabros could still find peace and happiness in the loving embrace of Christ and his ideals.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:37 PM
Planar Protector

Tunabros scouring the forums for a starkind post, eagerly posts mean responses. We know you need love tunabros, we're here for you.

Starkind basically its as you say, there should be a natural progression to the game with gear attainable through quests that involve significant travel and walking portions, and items that poof when teleported to disable the easy mode of porting around for completing these quests.

Those quests should gear you to enter the planes and begin fighting there for further gear and stuff.

There should also be hyper rare items that are dropped from top dungeon bosses on a very rare basis for a limited amount of time.

So manastone, but also maybe custom stuff. This would be high value super rare items and the drop point for them would be announced in a role play manner, meaning you need to talk to your city gossipman rather than a stupid server announcement in login. If your faction with your gossip person isn't good enough you don't get good intel (though everyone will know the real intel right away)

The drop point will be a hot PVP death battleground, with no rules whatsoever including training and corpse camping. It's a full hell attack break the game as much as possible.

Any sort of tool assisted cheats will result in all of your characters being deleted and publicly shamed permanently, with all your character money being given away to one of the people your exploits recently impacted.

This will be performed by a GM in the guise of the "Priest of Discord" who enforces proper discord.

The rules allowing training are based on making the pvp encounters black and white enforceable. If no cheating was detected, everything is OK.

Training greatly favors feign death classes so I'm not 100% sure I feel good about this idea but it does make the PVP more focused, basically you gotta have someone at zone entrance stomping on enemies at all times if you really wanna lock down a zone.

PVP meta is getting in to the Hot Spawn hot zone and assassinating the mob quickly and looting the mob to hope you get the good item, while people are fighting for zone / mob control. Everyone is trying to keep track of mob timer to time their incursions.

These mobs will not just drop "legacy" trash like manastone but will also have best in slot gear for classes, so its in the interest of raid guilds to participate in these and learn to control actual PVP player encounters rather than GM assisted safety raids on dragons only. the mobs aren't the main enemy in these encounters, other players are.

At 100% of all times there should be a high value mob spawning that is killable by basically any 2 level 50 characters with moderate skill. any time you log on you can go and participate in the madness.

Item loot enabled. Good no drop gear available.

There may be Lore item sets, for example.

FT1 robe for casters, Rubicite Tunic for melee

Both of these items are overlapping lore, so basically if you get killed by someone that owns one of these items, your BIS chest piece is safe.

If you go out of your way to avoid wearing certain Lore items to have better stuff to steal from your opponents you will be that much weaker.

So basically item loot at level 50 is managed through a collection of LORE stuff, a collection of No Drop stuff, and then a smattering of normal droppable non lore stuff.

LORE helps keep items moving through the community rather than stock piling in banks, the goal is for the PP price of droppable items to be low, like they were on Rallos Zek.

Best in slot will never be a set of full no-drop to keep it fun and risky for all ages and levels of uberness.

Pick pocketing of NPC's is fully allowed and encouraged since its a mother fucking rogue doing the actual job of the class. Everyone should be killing rogues with impertinence and having one on your team means you're teaming up with someone that may or may not be trusty.

Rogue pick pocket can loot any item from a living NPC, at max skill level it still has an announcement of "Skuzzbucket attempts to pick GOBLIN KING's pocket!"

which will tell your group that you've been trying to rob them and then you will have the chance to pretend it was an accident.

I will stop right there.

Ranger and all bow and arrow has significant reduction in hit rate against PVP opponents with a shield equiped, facing the archer. Archery in the back for a ranger works similar to backstab, but with much less drastic increase in damage.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:39 PM
Planar Protector

It was supposed to be at max skill level pickpocket still has a CHANCE of an announcement of the pick pocketer using that ability. So it's a rogueish temptation.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:42 PM
Planar Protector

Sadly nobody is going to develop a "new Everquest", because there doesn't seem to be a large interest for non-instanced MMO's.

Without that critical component, a redesign is basically going to feel like any modern MMO, but with Everquest assets. The non-instanced nature of Everquest drives a lot of the game design decisions that P99 players would appreciate.

And P99 itself cannot do too much in terms of custom content. It is limited by the client, which the P99 developers didn't create. Most attempts at custom content would probably feel meh at best, because they would need to squeeze things into the game under constraint, rather than actually develop new things.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:43 PM
Planar Protector

Randomly totally unannounced a super profitable game of DEFEND THE PERSON will happen in world event. Players online are randomly assigned a team red or team blue, blue team defending red team attacking. defending team has 65% of online population attacking team has 45 percent.

Attacking team's goal is to kill 1 identified player who is assigned the important task

The player with the important task has to travel to the destination stated in the note that the GM gives them. If they opt out of the quest it goes to someone else.

The teams get an opt in summoning message to bring them to the team assembly point and then they have to organize their teams defense or assault
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:49 PM
Fire Giant

make the 40's easier to level so you can group with the rest of the higher level characters once you hit 50. I left P99 to go back to live because the 40's are so damn boring. The only place I have been able to reliably find a group has been COM and that is boring as hell.

Bring AA's into the fold but use a diablo2 esq style skill tree with it and a limited number of aa's to gain. That would make PVP a little more interesting.

Not a min maxer, don't care about it
Old 04-22-2022, 07:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rethalis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
make the 40's easier to level so you can group with the rest of the higher level characters once you hit 50. I left P99 to go back to live because the 40's are so damn boring. The only place I have been able to reliably find a group has been COM and that is boring as hell.

Bring AA's into the fold but use a diablo2 esq style skill tree with it and a limited number of aa's to gain. That would make PVP a little more interesting.
so you can group in the higher level zones faster*

Not a min maxer, don't care about it