Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 05-03-2023, 04:39 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Smile

Gday all,

Well, I am having super fun starting as a solo main newbie druid (actually did a few levels years ago, but life intervened.)

What I am experiencing now is even better than last millenium EQ, because the server is full of experienced EQ veterans who are knowledgable, rich and helpful to newbies.

I got buffs at EC tunnel, good prices for gear, generous help when selling. Level 5-14 in a few days with all spells and some nice newbie gear. Occasional random help out in the wilds.

Huge fun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-03-2023, 09:10 PM
Sarnak

It's definitely a different era. I played on blue a bit...but fresh on green with no hand outs or power leveling and up to level 18 in 2 weeks. In 99, level 18 took centuries and lots of questioning the meaning of life.
Old 05-04-2023, 04:50 PM
Fire Giant

Game mastery is a big thing. The game isn't necessarily easier (though it may be, hard to tell) but we're older and more experienced with it. It would be crazy if we all sucked after playing for 20 years.

A hard mode server could be fun. Just up NPC hp and damage by 10% or something
Old 05-04-2023, 06:14 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coridan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Game mastery is a big thing. The game isn't necessarily easier
The "game knowledge" or similar theory is often floated but it's simply not true. P99 is fun for awhile until you start to question things once the initial excitement wears off.

The actual EQ channeling formula was reverse engineered form the client and is used on TAKP. This formula is also supported by several statements from a GM lead dev on the official Sony forums. Yet the P99 staff refuses to implement classic channeling rates. Channeling at level 1 has ~70% success rate compared to 30% in classic EQ. Not only that but P99 seems to use the base EQemu code that only does one roll for channeling for all attacks. In classic every time you get hit it's a separate channeling roll. Got hit 20 times while casting a spell? You have to roll for channeling success 20 times and not have a single failure to succeed. On P99 you get hit 20 times while casting, it does a single channeling roll and just modifies the success chance based on up to 5 hits (if I remember right).

For years I overlooked how I was able to oddly successfully gate quite often with 10 mobs hitting me or so easily cast with mobs hitting me. At level 20 you're already channeling at like 80-90% success rate when classic EQ would have you around 40-50%. Couldn't overlook this anymore. This central mechanic to all of EQ is trivial to fix, extremely well supported by decompiled classic client and official Sony forum dev posts but for whatever reason the P99 staff refuses to fix it.

I put all of this together in a bug report including all the code necessary to fix it and Nilbog confirmed he would investigate it when it has time. That was 12-04-2021. Then I also made a bug report on how incredibly broken the bug forums are, how shitty it is to try to contribute to P99 when the staff runs such a shitty bug/contribution process, and got silence in response. That was the last time I played P99.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s....php?p=3396699

Started looking into this after getting sick of P99 turning into nothing but Enchanters power level groups, soloing item drops, carrying raids, and so on. While there are several problems with Enchanter I focused in on this channeling issue as it's obviously much more impactful and central to the experience and "classic." The silence of the devs on this issue tells me everything I need to know. You can give them a C++ patch file, all the evidence, everything in a near perfect bug report and they'll sit on it for years while they add muffins to vendors or whatever. All that tells me is the idea of classic EQ on P99 is dead and the staff is just fine running a custom easy mode server focused solely on poop sock raiding.

I just come here occasionally to point this out because I'd certainly want to know that P99 isn't trying to recreate classic anymore before I put in time here. It's easy to overlook things thinking they just need the right evidence, code assistance, etc but less easy when you give them all those things and they selectively ignore it. Fully disillusioned. Also easy to say "they're volunteers, it's the best we have, etc" but really P99 as a "project" is extremely mismanaged and is doing a disservice to classic EQ at this point. That wasn't true 10 years ago when I started here and Nilbog was saying he'd make changes to be classic no matter how many people cried about it.
Old 05-04-2023, 06:17 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I have been having a blast......granted, I am only just starting to date, so my feelings may evolve as my experiences accumulate. But I am thrilled to see people actually in the game doing things, whereas on live it's a ghost town
Old 05-04-2023, 07:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The "game knowledge" or similar theory is often floated but it's simply not true. P99 is fun for awhile until you start to question things once the initial excitement wears off.

The actual EQ channeling formula was reverse engineered form the client and is used on TAKP. This formula is also supported by several statements from a GM lead dev on the official Sony forums. Yet the P99 staff refuses to implement classic channeling rates. Channeling at level 1 has ~70% success rate compared to 30% in classic EQ. Not only that but P99 seems to use the base EQemu code that only does one roll for channeling for all attacks. In classic every time you get hit it's a separate channeling roll. Got hit 20 times while casting a spell? You have to roll for channeling success 20 times and not have a single failure to succeed. On P99 you get hit 20 times while casting, it does a single channeling roll and just modifies the success chance based on up to 5 hits (if I remember right).

For years I overlooked how I was able to oddly successfully gate quite often with 10 mobs hitting me or so easily cast with mobs hitting me. At level 20 you're already channeling at like 80-90% success rate when classic EQ would have you around 40-50%. Couldn't overlook this anymore. This central mechanic to all of EQ is trivial to fix, extremely well supported by decompiled classic client and official Sony forum dev posts but for whatever reason the P99 staff refuses to fix it.

I put all of this together in a bug report including all the code necessary to fix it and Nilbog confirmed he would investigate it when it has time. That was 12-04-2021. Then I also made a bug report on how incredibly broken the bug forums are, how shitty it is to try to contribute to P99 when the staff runs such a shitty bug/contribution process, and got silence in response. That was the last time I played P99.

Started looking into this after getting sick of P99 turning into nothing but Enchanters power level groups, soloing item drops, carrying raids, and so on. While there are several problems with Enchanter I focused in on this channeling issue as it's obviously much more impactful and central to the experience and "classic." The silence of the devs on this issue tells me everything I need to know. You can give them a C++ patch file, all the evidence, everything in a near perfect bug report and they'll sit on it for years while they add muffins to vendors or whatever. All that tells me is the idea of classic EQ on P99 is dead and the staff is just fine running a custom easy mode server focused solely on poop sock raiding.

I just come here occasionally to point this out because I'd certainly want to know that P99 isn't trying to recreate classic anymore before I put in time here. It's easy to overlook things thinking they just need the right evidence, code assistance, etc but less easy when you give them all those things and they selectively ignore it. Fully disillusioned. Also easy to say "they're volunteers, it's the best we have, etc" but really P99 as a "project" is extremely mismanaged and is doing a disservice to classic EQ at this point. That wasn't true 10 years ago when I started here and Nilbog was saying he'd make changes to be classic no matter how many people cried about it.
You seem rather perturbed. Do you still play the game or just write petitions
Old 05-04-2023, 11:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You seem rather perturbed. Do you still play the game or just write petitions
Reading isn't your strong suit.

Anyway I did want to say P99 was fun and I understand why the staff doesn't give a shit anymore. I don't either.
Old 05-05-2023, 01:27 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by azxten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I found it funny that they recently closed a bug report opened about 7 YEARS ago. I mean I don't blame them for not giving a shit anymore but they should at least let people contribute who actually do give a shit. Now it's just a black box updated at a glacial pace
Old 05-05-2023, 07:16 AM
Planar Protector

Brand new highly successful progression server, continued support of all three servers, effectively 24/7 volunteer in game support staff, continuing development and adjustment by Nilbog, frequent GM events and engagement with the raiding community....."don't give a shit anymore".
Old 05-05-2023, 09:15 AM
Fire Giant

I think peeps need to wake up and walk outside and enjoy the spring weather. The staff is seriously VOLUNTEER, they do stuff when they can, and I remember one saying the drop rate of cloth off a decaying skel is just as important as a raid boss fix. Every bug, fix, petition that neckbeards constantly spam staff with. And peeps surprised stuff is moving slow? Be happy with the box, yall are given. And most issues/drama is caused bc as a server you can't behave. Kudos to staff for doing what they want, when they want. Hell there has been what like 3 GM events in past few months? That takes tons of time, coding that these peeps have RL stuff, but still chose to help bring "fun" to game. stop being dicks! If you don't like it uninstall and play the 10 mil other video games.

What Fammaden said is truth!
Mama Vinelsier Lepermesiah Server 1st 60 Grave Lord(And only The Grave Lord)//Resilak 50 Monk//Tenchi Masaki 50 Wizard//Jaskieer 48 Bard// Heeheehee Teeheehee 57 Mage// Belll Cranel 50 Monkdrackgon 54 rogue, Cuddlezzz 60 shaman
RIP<Gathered Might>