Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 12:37 AM
Planar Protector

There is a vaste improvement, yes, and then you can stack the taps
Old 01-29-2021, 12:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is a vaste improvement, yes, and then you can stack the taps
This isn't as great as people think. You have to get lucky enough to proc both weapons while the other tap is going. Even then, the stacking benefit greatly varies based on which tick the dot is on. Most of the time you will get one or the other, not both together. Greenmist is an inferior tap to Epic, so you just end up disappointed when that procs instead of Epic.
Old 01-29-2021, 01:09 AM
Planar Protector

Well, I main epic and only when it proc switch to greenmist hoping for a proc abd switching back to epic as soon as it proc or when the original tap is fading.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:01 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This isn't as great as people think. You have to get lucky enough to proc both weapons while the other tap is going. Even then, the stacking benefit greatly varies based on which tick the dot is on. Most of the time you will get one or the other, not both together. Greenmist is an inferior tap to Epic, so you just end up disappointed when that procs instead of Epic.
The greenmist recourse is 8 ticks @ 30 a tick for 240 damage but also adds ac and atk. So the greenmist over its course is only 10 damage/healing less assuming you don’t have full hp.

When soloing, I start with greenmist and then swap to epic as soon as it procs. At 177/187 unbuffed dex I am able to layer the procs fairly consistently (of course RNG prevents this from happening from time to time).

With the greenmist proc lasting 3 ticks longer than epic, it is worthwhile to start with the GM as it gives a greater chance of stacking the two. Also I don’t look at it as having to have the procs tick line up exactly perfect, it’s the healing total I care about since any healing you get from these means less mana intensive lifetaps you have to use to keep going.
Last edited by Andyman1022; 01-29-2021 at 10:03 AM..
Old 01-29-2021, 11:29 AM
Planar Protector

I’d always have the IC be a grail or active mission if you can farm the plat. The GM is great for tanking and solo but that AC debuff is 400 hate you don’t need. Plus lower dps than the 2h. Plus if you get a 1.15’ish ratio 2h and are using it primarily the epic is an easy swap-to-bash toy. I do that occasionally with the pally when interrupts are important and I’m feeling like putting in an effort beyond just aggro.

So yea, as a raider the IC has a real purpose over GM. A bit less in the group content but would still be my go-to. The GM might be better if doing mini raid stuff like tanking Fay and you have a good shield. It has 25mr on it so a 50’ish AC shield in combo is pretty great.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman1022 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The greenmist recourse is 8 ticks @ 30 a tick for 240 damage but also adds ac and atk. So the greenmist over its course is only 10 damage/healing less assuming you don’t have full hp.

When soloing, I start with greenmist and then swap to epic as soon as it procs. At 177/187 unbuffed dex I am able to layer the procs fairly consistently (of course RNG prevents this from happening from time to time).

With the greenmist proc lasting 3 ticks longer than epic, it is worthwhile to start with the GM as it gives a greater chance of stacking the two. Also I don’t look at it as having to have the procs tick line up exactly perfect, it’s the healing total I care about since any healing you get from these means less mana intensive lifetaps you have to use to keep going.
That is what I am saying, the total HP gained from stacking isn't as great as people think. This is because procing IC refreshes the DoT.

Best case scenario for stacking the DoTs is 490 HP gained if you proc both weapons within 6 seconds of one another.

If you proc IC twice, the second time after the third tick of the first DoT, you get at least 400 HP total. As you can see, the difference isn't all that much. The loss on DPS when switching to Greenmist may also lengthen the fight, which means you will get less returns on the HP gains due to more damage taken.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-29-2021 at 12:09 PM..
Old 01-29-2021, 12:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That is what I am saying, the total HP gained from stacking isn't as great as people think. This is because procing IC refreshes the DoT.

Best case scenario for stacking the DoTs is 490 HP gained if you proc both weapons within 6 seconds of one another.

If you proc IC twice, the second time after the third tick of the first DoT, you get at least 400 HP total. As you can see, the difference isn't all that much. The loss on DPS when switching to Greenmist may also lengthen the fight, which means you will get less returns on the HP gains due to more damage taken.
Have you tried using both in practice? I noticed your sk is a troll..

By the way I hear what you are saying, I may try to use epic primarily and ignore GM and see how I do... you are right, if the epic refreshes then the healing potential seems to be the same..
Last edited by Andyman1022; 01-29-2021 at 12:22 PM..
Old 01-29-2021, 12:51 PM
Planar Protector

DeathsSilkyMist does bring up a solid point there, the longer the GM goes unprocced the more the ideal "double proc" scenario fades away. Perhaps just swap it out for a tick or two and have the restraint to go back to the IC?

I did a modified version this with my warrior and the Truncheon of Doom before defensive disc. Had my own rule that I would get the mob to 80% with the ToD and if no proc just swap to the Reaver. Continuing to roll the dice on RNG when ratio is a constant you can rely on is a Gamblers Folly (IMHO, but I'm not a gambler). Then again, lady luck did shine down frequently in a first or second swing proc trivializing the fight. Id still give this a crack with the GM.

There are many reasons to have both anyways. The GM is a fun but very attainable epic knock-off. Once you get the IC it still has a purpose as a terrific tank weapon; a shame it doesn't have hps too but that is asking for a lot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Last edited by Snaggles; 01-29-2021 at 12:55 PM..
Old 01-29-2021, 01:38 PM
Planar Protector

Yep, that's what I do, epic, then switch gm for 2-3ticks after a proc.
Closed Thread