Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 06:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivitron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You'll die plenty soloing on the enchanter too. Often people are slow to intervene not because they're laughing at you but because it's not always obvious when you're helping someone vs screwing them up, if they're even watching. If they were making mocking comments towards you, it's likely they had some kind of bone to pick with you (thought you were sniping their pulls or something).

Enchanters are good at soloing xp, highly desired by groups, great at soloing dungeon nameds, and for me charming is a ton of fun. I wouldn't be surprised if enchanters outnumber necros, but if you like the idea of charming I recommend the class.
If I did anything to offend them, I was unaware, and it was actually my first kill of the evening. I'm only a 20 wizard, taking a single spider every 10 minutes or so. I don't think I should have been any bother. But I did run up to them and literally beg them for help, and they just watched me die so they could take the kill for themselves. Made me feel really bad and I really just don't want to go through that again.

I'm not opposed to the idea of charming, I'm just really nervous about it. At this point I'm honestly leaning more toward the necromancer anyway. I can look after myself in a hostile world with that class. It seems far more forgiving, and has more "oh crap!" buttons, which means less dying, which is great for someone like me who has no cleric friends (or really any friends in general). Maybe I can learn how to charm as a necro with the safeties on so to speak, and maybe come to the enchanter later when I'm confident I have the technique down.

Edit: I'm also considering going back to mage too. It's 44 right now and it's a fun class, I was just worried about how much I'd be able to do much further past that. I heard that mages struggle greatly at soloing at the higher end, and the difficulty of their epic also seems really daunting.
Last edited by tadkins; 04-18-2021 at 06:44 PM..
Old 04-18-2021, 07:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I'm gonna be honest here, this post I made came off a really bad experience I had last night. I was on my 20 wizard killing Crag Spiders in EK. I had gotten one down to 50% but immediately got 3 nukes resisted in a row. I didn't have the mana to finish it off so I ran to a nearby group hoping they'd be able to help me finish it off. They basically just stood there and laughed while the spider beat on me, waited for me to die, and then took the kill for themselves. It made me genuinely feel horrible and reminded me that not all of this server's community is good.

So I immediately gated home and contemplated what I wanted to do next. I don't want to play a wizard anymore. I want to play something that can solo far better, can save itself more reliably, and doesn't have to rely on as many people because you can't always rely on them.

I'm currently weighing my options but atm my top two are playing an enchanter, or playing green server iksar necromancer #71890. I think I like the theme of enchanters more, but the class does seem far more daunting. Especially the idea of farming up a set of -MR gear just to give to a pet, spending all that time and money and then accidently losing it just doesn't sit well with me.
That sucks, I have never had an experience that negative with any player on Green. Normally everyone on Green is nice to the point where it’s almost weird how nice they are.

But that same sort of situation can happen with a chanter, just in a different way. It just boils down to being greedy or not. Being greedy means going for a kill when you don’t have the health or mana to handle multiple things going wrong. Usually for me it just requires being a bit more patient when medding. Although 3 resists in a row is pretty nuts and hard to plan for. Chanters can reset fights with mez/blur, which is definitely handy

You absolutely do not need to carry around -MR gear to hand to pets. My chanter has almost no problems with charm breaks at 235 buffed charisma. I acquired this much charisma at level 20ish by farming pp, you can get that much for like 2k gold. The downside with cha gear is you sacrifice a good chunk of int. I only have like 128 int, which means a relatively tiny mana pool. This means once you commit to charming, gear-wise, you will probably tend to drift towards reverse charm killing to be efficient. Because spells like slows, dots, nukes, all that stuff really taxes your already small mana pool. Reverse charming only uses mana for 2 tashes, 2 roots (more if breaks), 1 charm (ideally), 1 invis, and 1 nuke. That’s not much, and you can regen what you spent in the process

To mix things up you can always find the toughest mob around, give it haste and weapons, and send it on a killing spree. Then when it gets low, break charm, root it, blur it and watch it heal to full in a minute. Then repeat. The downside is it will be eating 50% of your exp, there’s no way you have the mana efficiency to try to do more than 50% of the damage. So this method is really more for farming pp or just having fun. Reverse is by far the best way to exp, solo
Last edited by unsunghero; 04-18-2021 at 07:53 PM..
Old 04-18-2021, 07:58 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That sucks, I have never had an experience that negative with any player on Green. Normally everyone on Green is nice to the point where it’s almost weird how nice they are.

But that same sort of situation can happen with a chanter, just in a different way. It just boils down to being greedy or not. Being greedy means going for a kill when you don’t have the health or mana to handle multiple things going wrong. Usually for me it just requires being a bit more patient when medding. Although 3 resists in a row is pretty nuts and hard to plan for. Chanters can reset fights with mez/blur, which is definitely handy

You absolutely do not need to carry around -MR gear to hand to pets. My chanter has almost no problems with charm breaks at 335 buffed charisma. I acquired this much charisma at level 20ish by farming pp, you can get that much for like 2k gold. The downside with cha gear is you sacrifice a good chunk of int. I only have like 128 int, which means a relatively tiny mana pool. This means once you commit to charming, gear-wise, you will probably tend to drift towards reverse charm killing to be efficient. Because spells like slows, dots, nukes, all that stuff really taxes your already small mana pool. Reverse charming only uses mana for 2 tashes, 2 roots (more if breaks), 1 charm (ideally), 1 invis, and 1 nuke. That’s not much, and you can regen what you spent in the process

To mix things up you can always find the toughest mob around, give it haste and weapons, and send it on a killing spree. Then when it gets low, break charm, root it, blur it and watch it heal to full in a minute. Then repeat. The downside is it will be eating 50% of your exp, there’s no way you have the mana efficiency to try to do more than 50% of the damage. So this method is really more for farming pp or just having fun. Reverse is by far the best way to exp, solo
I'm wondering if there might be a playstyle of enchanter that supports high INT. I have a ton of it on my wizard that I'm either going to sell or transfer to another class. I'm also a fan of tradeskilling and having a low INT for that is painful, especially given how much the enchanter class supports a tradesman lifestyle.

But that said I'm less worried about the enchanter having a chain of resists than I was as a wizard. At least the enchanter has a MR debuff, that should help things greatly on that front, right?

Are there going to be instances where I might not always have a pet to charm available, and what can be done during them? Let's say I'm off in the middle of nowhere in WK camping one of the HG spawns? There's nothing like "diminishing returns" on charming, and I can theoretically keep the same pet forever if I wanted, right?

From my experiences as a mage, sometimes I'd just let the pet take 50% of the exp depending on the situation. I'd rather kill the mob and come out alive than try to be the most efficient. As an enchanter I'd probably rather be safe and just accept 50% of the exp than try to be tricky and end up dying.

(This is precisely what I meant by having so many questions. xD)
Last edited by tadkins; 04-18-2021 at 08:00 PM..
Old 04-18-2021, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm wondering if there might be a playstyle of enchanter that supports high INT. I have a ton of it on my wizard that I'm either going to sell or transfer to another class. I'm also a fan of tradeskilling and having a low INT for that is painful, especially given how much the enchanter class supports a tradesman lifestyle.

But that said I'm less worried about the enchanter having a chain of resists than I was as a wizard. At least the enchanter has a MR debuff, that should help things greatly on that front, right?

Are there going to be instances where I might not always have a pet to charm available, and what can be done during them? Let's say I'm off in the middle of nowhere in WK camping one of the HG spawns? There's nothing like "diminishing returns" on charming, and I can theoretically keep the same pet forever if I wanted, right?

From my experiences as a mage, sometimes I'd just let the pet take 50% of the exp depending on the situation. I'd rather kill the mob and come out alive than try to be the most efficient. As an enchanter I'd probably rather be safe and just accept 50% of the exp than try to be tricky and end up dying.

(This is precisely what I meant by having so many questions. xD)
That’s part of the appeal for me. It requires on the fly decisions about using what’s around to maximum effect. The first time I killed a cyclops I had to smash probably 6-7 different green and low blue mobs in succession with it because nothing around would have been able to tank and dps it, so I had to smash everything around me with it as a pet sometimes 2 mobs at a time until it was beat up enough that I could switch charm something else much weaker and finish it off

Sometimes you’ll discover a really underconned mob in the area, charm it and drag it across the map to another area with more targets where you can go on a killing spree with it. As long as you have high cha and are selecting the right type of mobs (light-dark blues ideally depending on your cha) charm lasts minutes minus the occasional unlucky break. And there’s no diminishing returns on charm. Eventually your Tashan will fade so you will want to break charm in a way you can control, then mez (which will heal the mob back to full if it blurred), then re-tash and re-charm. You can use the same mob for 4 straight hours if you are smart enough about re-charming

But yes there are situations where there aren’t 2 mobs close enough to be convenient. If you see just 1, it can be a pain, because this means whipping out the animation then ideally testing it against greens nearby to see what pet level you summoned, and keep reclaiming until you get at least the top 1-2 levels possible. This is what all the smart pet players do. Then buffing it with haste and ac then engaging the mob with it, slowing the mob, and doing some stuns as needed. It’s possible to solo kill this way, just a bit of slow setups that other pet classes with an already summoned pet wouldn’t have
Old 04-18-2021, 10:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That’s part of the appeal for me. It requires on the fly decisions about using what’s around to maximum effect. The first time I killed a cyclops I had to smash probably 6-7 different green and low blue mobs in succession with it because nothing around would have been able to tank and dps it, so I had to smash everything around me with it as a pet sometimes 2 mobs at a time until it was beat up enough that I could switch charm something else much weaker and finish it off

Sometimes you’ll discover a really underconned mob in the area, charm it and drag it across the map to another area with more targets where you can go on a killing spree with it. As long as you have high cha and are selecting the right type of mobs (light-dark blues ideally depending on your cha) charm lasts minutes minus the occasional unlucky break. And there’s no diminishing returns on charm. Eventually your Tashan will fade so you will want to break charm in a way you can control, then mez (which will heal the mob back to full if it blurred), then re-tash and re-charm. You can use the same mob for 4 straight hours if you are smart enough about re-charming

But yes there are situations where there aren’t 2 mobs close enough to be convenient. If you see just 1, it can be a pain, because this means whipping out the animation then ideally testing it against greens nearby to see what pet level you summoned, and keep reclaiming until you get at least the top 1-2 levels possible. This is what all the smart pet players do. Then buffing it with haste and ac then engaging the mob with it, slowing the mob, and doing some stuns as needed. It’s possible to solo kill this way, just a bit of slow setups that other pet classes with an already summoned pet wouldn’t have
I have to admit that I'm getting more and more nervous, as the class is sounding more and more daunting, lol. Knowing of conditions upon conditions just to get kills, and having to succeed at that hundreds of times as you level...I'm not sure I can go through with it, lol.

It's a really cool class thematically, with all sorts of neat spell effects, and being that sinister manipulator playing with mind control is a neat fantasy, but I'm heavily doubting my ability to actually go through with this. It's just sounding really difficult to actually play and no one's really going to care or want to help if I end up dying over and over.
Last edited by tadkins; 04-18-2021 at 10:39 PM..
Old 04-18-2021, 11:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have to admit that I'm getting more and more nervous, as the class is sounding more and more daunting, lol. Knowing of conditions upon conditions just to get kills, and having to succeed at that hundreds of times as you level...I'm not sure I can go through with it, lol.

It's a really cool class thematically, with all sorts of neat spell effects, and being that sinister manipulator playing with mind control is a neat fantasy, but I'm heavily doubting my ability to actually go through with this. It's just sounding really difficult to actually play and no one's really going to care or want to help if I end up dying over and over.
Iksar necro is more forgiving, but far more common as a result
Old 04-18-2021, 11:25 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Iksar necro is more forgiving, but far more common as a result
Yup, I'm just not sure what I want to play anymore, lol.

Necro mechanics are fun and forgiving but I'm not really a fan of the theme. Who wants to be around dead things all day?

I love the theme of enchanter but I feel like my butt is gonna be clenched up the entire ride, lol.

Just not sure what to do anymore.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:06 AM
Banned

look up technos deception on youtube

read the guides on wiki

boom

instant pro
Old 04-19-2021, 02:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

You’re getting too anxious about making the perfect play every time. Perfect is the enemy of the good and even suboptimal decisions can lead to progress. When setbacks do occur just try to evaluate what went wrong and don’t be afraid to devil’s advocate your arguments as often there are several layers and angles to failure.

You don’t need to know everything about the game before starting a class. A big part of thr fun is working it out.
Old 04-19-2021, 02:06 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You’re getting too anxious about making the perfect play every time. Perfect is the enemy of the good and even suboptimal decisions can lead to progress. When setbacks do occur just try to evaluate what went wrong and don’t be afraid to devil’s advocate your arguments as often there are several layers and angles to failure.

You don’t need to know everything about the game before starting a class. A big part of thr fun is working it out.
I'm only anxious because of how harsh failure is in this game. Messing up and not getting it right adds up to a lot of undone progress and I don't have any loyal cleric friends to help bail me out of that. xD
Closed Thread