Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2021, 10:21 AM
Large Bat

Default A couple of classes and gear questions

Hello all,

1) Thinking of making a Warrior. Are they playable without a shield? E.g. if I wanted to use a 2H weapon or 2x1 handed weapons, is that doable? Or, are they expected to be a tank only? I know there are other classes (rogue, monk) that might do it better, which is why I ask. Does race matter for them a lot?

2) It is wise to spend plat on low level gear? For example, my cleric has nothing on the face and secondary yet, and I was debating spending a little plat to get something. Is it worth it or hold off? Is there a gear by lvl guide? I found a gear guide but it has everything, and I can't afford 99% of it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadewe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello all,

1) Thinking of making a Warrior. Are they playable without a shield? E.g. if I wanted to use a 2H weapon or 2x1 handed weapons, is that doable? Or, are they expected to be a tank only? I know there are other classes (rogue, monk) that might do it better, which is why I ask. Does race matter for them a lot?

2) It is wise to spend plat on low level gear? For example, my cleric has nothing on the face and secondary yet, and I was debating spending a little plat to get something. Is it worth it or hold off? Is there a gear by lvl guide? I found a gear guide but it has everything, and I can't afford 99% of it.

Thanks in advance.
Warrior needs probably at least about 400pp in gear, including full suit of banded and/or pieces of bronze. Then the rest on two one handers, or a decent one hander and a 45hp ring. Shields are not like shields in Wow where some specs absolutely need them. Warriors don't really use two handers except occasionally, and are not worthless if you get one for free, unless its pvp.

Sk/Pal need shield but they can swap them in and out and it wont destroy your character to have either or, except two handers are bad under level 20. By the time you critically need the opposite of what you have, you will be high level and can join a guild to camp what you need.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:50 PM
Fire Giant

Oh yea and if you want to group be ogre.

If you think you may solo, be troll.

If you don't like fashionquest of ogre or troll, be barb or dwarf.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:58 PM
Planar Protector

What server are you on? I’d blue a lot of solid warrior stuff likely gets handed out to those in need. Skyfire sword, Jarsath Trident, etc.

With some bandages and patience a warrior can solo. It’s just a tougher road than a bard, monk, sk, or pally.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:43 PM
Large Bat

Green server. Not really looking to solo I don't think, at least that isn't my initial thought.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:22 AM
Fire Giant

Oh yea I forgot, Bull Smasher is a good noobie quest item. I think its relatively hard for a noobie quest but not impossible. I've never done it though.

If you get scarab bp and full leather, as a paladin you could survive in groups until you get to unrest and get urself some real armor. Just be wary of undead and elementals with the hammer (Elementals only in steamfont.) You could do it as warrior but would be harder.

Need to be a shorty to use but dwarves are awesome and halflings level faster.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:30 PM
Planar Protector

In everquest, shields are not required for tanking. You will be expected to try to maximize your aggro so you will usually be using 1 handed weapons with aggro inducing procs.

You should be an ogre but do whatever you want.

You don't need any money to start. Just play and you will find what you need.

Good luck
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadewe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello all,

1) Thinking of making a Warrior...Does race matter for them a lot?
A lot? No. The best min/max warrior race is Iksar, but only if you're building a full-time raider. For most applications Ogre is great because of the high starting STR and STA. However, if you're playing for fun, it literally does not matter. Gnome warriors are perfectly viable for grouping and general play.

My advice for choosing a race is always pick the one you like looking at, because you will be looking at that model for a long long time.
Old 03-16-2021, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

I have a dark elf warrior on green. No regrets at all, definitely not min/max but enjoy it a lot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-16-2021, 04:39 PM
Planar Protector

Dwarf. Small enough size for convenience but not so small to get as badly lost in a melee pile as a gnome or halfling. Good starting stats. No major annoying racial faction concerns. No xp penalty. Good to great fashion quest and roleplay potential. And the best warrior racial bonus: barrel roll jumps. A racial that will always be fun no matter what you are doing and is never situational.
Closed Thread