Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 12:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomacles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I tip 30 pp. Always have, always will.
People bitch about classic on P99. People tipped 30pp when EQ came out. That was the price, no more, no less.
Actually, this is kind of central to the whole issue in my mind. Blue at least has been around a decade. The server is very very top heavy. There is a lot of talk about paying 1p per level which seems reasonable if you're really leveling your first character. I think that's true. However, that's more the exception than the rule here. Further, inflation is pretty rampant with this amount of time being top heavy so it's puzzling why people think this wouldn't apply to what is a decent tip for porting.

I haven't ported for tips on my wiz for many years but sometimes I still will get random tells asking when I play him. I don't mind usually just helping people out and often don't take the plat unless I need some walking around cash for food or components. That being said I can't help but roll my eyes when a level 20 character in like 300k worth of gear puts 12p in the window. I'd rather just do it for free and ask them to pay extra to the next guy who is doing it for money.

Just thinking about some math on porting. A person porting for plat may not have a better way to make it. I'm going to throw out that maybe they port 50 people a night (I could be way off). At 30p a port, which isn't great nor is it terrible, you might get 1500p. Not exactly great plat farming numbers. I don't really play anymore so I don't know what Fungis go for, maybe 60k? In that scenario it would take a person about a month and half of porting every day to buy a fungi.

Also, monks can definitely trade gems for ports. The majority of monks know that so unless you are new that definitely isn't an excuse to give 10p or whatever.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 09-11-2020, 01:47 PM
Banned

1500 plat for porting 50 people seems like pretty good money to me, it doesn't require the time, effort, or attention needed to brute force farm that much plat by say killing guards for instance, or hill giants. It's almost akin to passively gaining plat just for being online.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomacles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I tip 30 pp. Always have, always will.
People bitch about classic on P99. People tipped 30pp when EQ came out. That was the price, no more, no less.
My fallible memory tells me it was 10pp back in the pre-Luclin days (Tunare server, mostly anyway). It also tells me porters would wait up to 5 - 10 minutes to fill out a group before porting (30pp would generally get you an immediate port, so I guess not so different from what you remember).
Old 09-11-2020, 04:56 PM
Kobold

Only skimmed the thread.. but my experience porting in DAP is an average tip for port being between 30-60. Highest was 200 and lowest (not free) port was a lvl 4 with a cracked staff.. I was sure to throw him a bunch of buffs.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:48 PM
Sarnak

I used to port on my Druid a long time ago and I was generally okay with a tip of at least 35-45pp.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:12 PM
Fire Giant

I was in DaP for a long time on my druid. I never ever specified a price for anything. Every port was a "whatever you can afford/think is fair" situation. And very rarely was I ever stiffed or payed poorly without proper notification. And in those cases, when someone asked for a port but told me up front they could only pay 5p. I might carry them around 2-3 hops before dropping them off. But I also wouldn't charge them, would just try to make it more mana efficient on myself. If your being told your cheap with 40-50p tips. Fuck those DaPs. Thats just rude. My average tip was prolly 20p. Back before green, when server had prolly 800 avg pop. And i could make 1k an hour easy.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, yes it is. Any monk worth his salt is not going to be walking around with tons of plat. If I have more than 20 plat on me at any one time it's a christmas miracle. I specifically carry a stack of dots to pay for ports and then replenish that stack from a reserve in the bank.
What are you even arguing here? dots = plat, I don't think anyone at all is saying that only plat is acceptable as a tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Porting is just providing a service. No more, no less. It's not you being mother teresa shepherding the wayward souls across all corners of norrath. You're the equivalent of a pizza delivery driver, pretty nice but ultimately replaceable.
Porting IS a service, yes. Talking down to people that do ports by calling them "pizza delivery drivers" and "replaceable" is a pretty shit attitude.

You know what they're replaceable with? The boat. Have fun sitting on the dock.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreenk317 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was in DaP for a long time on my druid. I never ever specified a price for anything. Every port was a "whatever you can afford/think is fair" situation. And very rarely was I ever stiffed or payed poorly without proper notification. And in those cases, when someone asked for a port but told me up front they could only pay 5p. I might carry them around 2-3 hops before dropping them off. But I also wouldn't charge them, would just try to make it more mana efficient on myself. If your being told your cheap with 40-50p tips. Fuck those DaPs. Thats just rude. My average tip was prolly 20p. Back before green, when server had prolly 800 avg pop. And i could make 1k an hour easy.
In DaP's Defense, I've never been told i was being cheap with 40-50p tip.

A few guildies actually said that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-12-2020, 04:46 AM
Banned

Reminder that you have not rode a boat willingly in 20 years. Next time you send a tell to DaP to avoid the 30+ minute boatride dont forget
Old 09-14-2020, 02:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You know what they're replaceable with? The boat. Have fun sitting on the dock.
They're replaceable with one of the other hundreds of druids and wizards that exist on this server and would be willing to perform the same low-effort, low-skill service for a lower price.

DaP provides something of value, but that something is not unique.
Closed Thread