Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 03:18 AM
Planar Protector

Default Icewind Dale 1 & 2

Anybody played? I'm kind of interested in buying a copy, sort of. Maybe Baldur's Gate 1/2 as well. Right now I'm giving Planescape: Tormet a run, but so far it's looking too strange for me. I've read that it takes a while to get interested. At this rate, I'm afraid I won't get interested in it. Crossing my fingers.

I'd specifically like to hear about Icewind Dale, if anyone has played.

If you don't know already, these're Black Isle games. Go here:
http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/iwd/

And:
http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/bald...e2/index.shtml

That also lists Wizardry 8, another rpg that looks like it's worth exploring.

So many great single player crpgs to play.

Here is someone's top 10 for DnD-based crpgs:
http://www.dungeonmastering.com/gami...op-10-dd-crpgs

I could add to that list, for sure! Daggerfall was great. Albion is not bad. Many more.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 07-01-2010 at 03:38 AM..
Old 07-01-2010, 04:15 AM
Kobold

I liked both icewind dale games. It was fun to create a group of characters at start so you could make a party that suited your own playstyle.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:22 AM
Planar Protector

Not sure about ID but the BG's were great. Get the book too [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] (fiction section)
Played Torment, yes, was pretty good.
I'd recommend the NWN's over them if you haven't yet. NWN2 box is still found most places along with expansions. Just make sure to patch if you only get Gold, it's buggy broken w/o patch or expansion.
Last edited by Daywolf; 07-01-2010 at 05:29 AM..
Old 07-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Aviak

I still play them, awesome games. I liked them better than Baldur's Gate, to be honest. Just started a new game on IWD II with the intent on finishing on normal and HoF levels with 6, 5 and 4 chars. Couldn't get into Torment.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

NWN2 has one of the best stories I've encountered in RPGs in a LONG time. And the game play is phenom. MOTB has a great story, but several of the characters are "weak" by comparison to the characters in the OC. Storm of Zehir is meh at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Kobold

The 3 Krynn games (mentioned in the link), Champions of..., Death Knights of... and Dark Queen of... were the first rpgs I ever played on a computer. I know I started at least the first of those on a DOS only computer. I loved those games.

The only game that ever rivaled my addiction to EQ was Might and Magic VI, which I still have a copy of and which I will still play from time to time.

The Dark Queen sneers at your meaningless demise, for now nothing can stop her! NOTHING!
Old 07-01-2010, 01:00 PM
Kobold

Planescape: torment is pretty sick man. Keep playing through.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:21 PM
Aviak

I loved NWN2, playing through that with friends is simply awesome - But if you are going solo I would also suggest Dragon Age: Origins, if your looking to go for a more new-school single player RPG experience. Its similar to NWN2 due to same company developer, but they made some improvements to the combat system which I enjoyed - I liked both games a lot, but NWN2 is probably superior due to its multiplayer / DM capabilities and some of the things like owning your own keep which was fun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.].
Old 07-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Sarnak

BG1 is the very first computer RPG I have ever played and to be honest i was so young I didnt get it. After I let it sit on my shelves and get dusty for a few years I picked it up and had one of the most amazing roleplaying experiences of my life. BG1 and BG2 definitely deserve to be in the top list of RPG's ever made and anyone saying different is crazy. The ID games seriously do not even come close to touching what the BG series did and thats the same as any game that was made by a company that leached off of bioware. BG1 and 2 were awesome but interplay tried to recreate it with icewind dale and failed. Bioware makes KOTR and obsidion (the company that came from the interplay split) makes KOTR 2 and it sucks a donkey dick. Then neverwinter nights comes out and kills it, Obsidion makes NWN2 and all the work was already done for them, they just replaced the engine, added a handful of placeables and focused on a story. NWN2 did have a good story but thats because all the leg work was done in NWN which is for sure the better game. anyways thats all for my rant. Play BG1,BG2, KOTR, Jade Empire, and never winter knights and you will be playing quality games from a quality company.

Carsomyr - 55 Pally - Retired
Thalon - 49 Rogue - Temporarily Benched
Contagious - Necro - 30's and climbing
Lights - 55 Wiz - Occasional Murderer
Old 07-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Aviak

IWD had an amazing soundtrack, even if it doesn't stack up to BG2. I still enjoyed playing them all.
Closed Thread