Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-07-2015, 10:44 PM
Planar Protector

Default P99 on a Chromebook, guide!

I recently picked up a C720 Chromebook for the purposes of having a highly portable laptop that I could learn python on and play the occasional game with. While ChromeOS isn't good for either of those reasons these chromebooks can easily be dual booted with Ubuntu and/or the OS entirely replaced with Ubuntu.

Firstly, why a C720? While it's an older 2013 model it is also the most compatible with Ubuntu and has by far the most support over at http://www.reddit.com/r/chrubuntu/ and its typically $150-200 USD.

Turns out amongst other games this beast of a calculator can run it can handle P99's Everquest just fine (probably EQlive as well), figured I'd ninja/copy/paste from other threads on how you too can get pixels in the bathroom!

Step 1, prepare the Chromebook.
(credit https://www.distroshare.com/top/# (choice between HugeGreenBug's Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Lubuntu))

- Start with a freshly recovered/factory reset Chromebook, upon intial load up hold Escape and Refresh and tap the Power button. Device will reboot into recovery mode, press Ctrl+D, after warning prompt press Enter. Device will reboot again, press Ctrl+D to load ChromeOS.
- Once prompted to, select network but don't login, instead press Ctrl+alt+ → (not the right cursor key, but the key where the standard F2 key would be).
- Terminal will load asking for login, type chronos and hit Enter (no password is needed).
- Type sudo crossystem dev_boot_usb=1 dev_boot_legacy=1, hit Enter.

Step 2, prepare the USB/SD Card with your flavor of Ubuntu.
(credit https://www.distroshare.com/top/# (choice between HugeGreenBug's Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Lubuntu))

- For windows DL http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
- Run program and install .iso of your choice from the above distroshare link to said USB/SD Card.

Step 3, Install Ubuntu on sie Chromebook.
(same credit to HugeGreenBug)

- Insert USB and reboot/open/power on chromebook
- At the developer mode screen hit Ctrl+L
- Note if you instead want to dual boot, Ctrl+D will load ChromeOS, and Ctrl+L will load Ubuntu.
- Follow install instructions, etc..

Step 4, Install Wine and EQ.
(credit https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=14125)

- On Windows PC copy already installed EQ directory to a USB/SD Card, around 4gb required for full Titanium install.
- In Ubuntu load terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) type sudo apt-get install wine
- Copy/paste EQ directory from the USB to /home/<user>/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Sony/Everquest/

Step 5, Desktop icon (if desired).
(credit https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=14125)

- Load terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and type Run Gedit
- Copy paste below script and save file wherever you like:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
# if you don't have the script's cwd set, you get XML errors
export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine/
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Sony/EverQuest

# Bind to one core of the processor and launch.
# The client will spew a lot of errors, especially every time
# you target a mob, hence the stdout/stderr redirect.
# You probably want to leave off the 2>/dev/null until you're satisfied
# everything is working.
taskset -c 0 padsp wine eqgame.exe patchme 2>/dev/null
- Load terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and type sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gnome-panel
- Then type gnome-desktop-item-edit --create-new ~/Desktop
- Point/browse to the above created script file and name accordingly.

Done and Done! You now have a light weight P99 machine you can impress your friends with at Starbucks, Macy's, and/or live a poop sock free life on the crapper.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

One issue of note that I ran into was there being no character models when I got into the game, or on char select. To fix this:
(credit to https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=132253)

- edit eqclient.ini, where VertexShaders=TRUE change to VertexShaders=FALSE

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Cheers~
Old 05-07-2015, 11:08 PM
Planar Protector

Very nice sir! Where there is a EQ addiction there is a way.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:20 PM
Planar Protector

might actually consider a chromebook now

This needs a sticky
Old 05-08-2015, 01:01 AM
Planar Protector

`C720 Chromebook `

looks like a rather low powered laptop. Assume the only advantage is weight? battery time seems poor.

is there some other advantage?

Are YOU Cleansed from the chains of digital desire?
Old 05-08-2015, 01:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeattk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
`C720 Chromebook `

looks like a rather low powered laptop. Assume the only advantage is weight? battery time seems poor.

is there some other advantage?
light weight, dirt cheap, can actually handle some pretty demanding games, or at home could just stream from main pc to it via steams in-home streaming.

for someone like me with a mortgage, new baby, bills, etc.. much easier to fit in a budget then upgrading my tower, though i'd rather upgrade the tower =\
Old 05-08-2015, 01:43 AM
Planar Protector

yes ok, but theres plenty of cheap laptops on ebay. However i realise laptops arent the easiest to fiddle with hardware wise. I will accept the 2nd hand laptop market is a minefield, especially when ordering from a distance.

do you think that gram to $ the chromebook is more powerefficient than many laptops?

Are YOU Cleansed from the chains of digital desire?
Old 05-08-2015, 08:57 AM
Planar Protector

Just scour Ebay for a month and you can find a decent laptop for sale. I got a i5 4gb gtx 640m acer aspire for 220 bucks after looking on ebay for a few weeks. Always a deal to be had.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeattk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
do you think that gram to $ the chromebook is more powerefficient than many laptops?
depends on what you want to do with it i spose, my main purpose was running a form of Linux and through that learning to code. the extra bit about being able to game on it also is a nice plus.

Linux laptops are not cheap as hardware compatibility is an issue, right out the box these chromebooks work because chromeOS is built off of linux.

it's for sure not as power efficient as an actual gaming laptop, but the fact that it CAN do a lot more then it was intended for appeals to me.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulack [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just scour Ebay for a month and you can find a decent laptop for sale. I got a i5 4gb gtx 640m acer aspire for 220 bucks after looking on ebay for a few weeks. Always a deal to be had.
but then you're stuck with Windows, if you want to run Linux you'll be spending more then 220.

Now I don't hate Windows, been using it since 3.1 (I think) with its 30 some odd 3.4" floppies, but I wanted to find lightweight both in OS and device way to work on coding and gaming and this is what I found.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
but then you're stuck with Windows, if you want to run Linux you'll be spending more then 220.
This can't be true.....