Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 11:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallicker [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if tank says assist me with whatever just stay on that mob
Old 03-15-2020, 06:31 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alshadar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Assisting the tank seems to be the expected thing to do in groups. Why is this? Back when I played during the classic era there was the tank and there was the main assist(MA). The MA picked the targets and everyone assisted them. That way the tank was free to switch targets as needed to manage aggro. Does anyone do this anymore?
To me, that set up only makes sense in a raid situation.

There's no reason to have a tank and m/a unless the tank is pulling in which case he/she ins't there to assist as.. they're pulling

If a group wants to run it that way, sure ok. But there's a few ways to skin a cat, as they say.

tl:dr different folks have different play styles.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:14 AM
Planar Protector

If you have a Ranger in your party he should ALWAYS be main assist. Rangers naturally know which enemy is to be favored. Call it the favored enemy sense. Now I know what you are thinking: what if the Ranger dies? Well, the truth is, if your Ranger dies, everyone should lay down their weapons and accept death, for all hope is lost.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:44 AM
Planar Protector

I agree, don't assist the MT unless the MT calls the shots. Usually trhey will with a hotkey, at that time, assist them. otherwise assist whoever you feel like is the MA. If there is no MA, be the MA you would want to be and don't break CC.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:52 AM
Sarnak

You assist the tank for efficiency of the group all around, when he calls it of course. Cleric won’t have to use as much mana, chanter won’t keep getting hit from the mez’d mobs, you can burn mobs down properly. It’s a tool to enable the group to run smoothly instead everyone acting like autistic children and not acting like part of a group. Sometimes their is a MA as the tank needs to switch to multiple targets but this is the overall jist of things.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:15 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alshadar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Assisting the tank seems to be the expected thing to do in groups. Why is this? Back when I played during the classic era there was the tank and there was the main assist(MA). The MA picked the targets and everyone assisted them. That way the tank was free to switch targets as needed to manage aggro. Does anyone do this anymore?
I mean, if CC is doing their job then tank shouldn’t need to switch targets. But if there is a reason to switch targets then it makes sense for a tank to also be MA so that everyone can quickly swap targets and CC can lock down the old target.

Having the MA and tank be different characters opens up too many possibilities for miscommunication I think.

Find me Monday, Wednesday and Friday @ https://www.twitch.tv/elhefe
Old 03-16-2020, 12:17 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Carryover from Warcraft mostly where the tank commonly triples as the puller and the group leader. I feel in normal groups a person shouldn't have to /assist at all and instead use his own mark 1 eyeball to see what needs to be done, but a lot of players are far too lazy to put forth actual effort and really just want to be carried. That's also carryover from Warcraft where most groups demanded a competent tank, competent healer, then two or three random stooges who could follow simple directives.

Danth
Uhhh... Nah man, that’s how you give your enchanter an embolism. 0/10 idea.

Find me Monday, Wednesday and Friday @ https://www.twitch.tv/elhefe
Old 03-16-2020, 12:19 PM
Planar Protector

best groups I am in are totally silent, no one spamming hotkeys, we all just know what to do, even when train happens, everyone stops to cc, get merbs under control, charm stuff, peel with appriate non-dot spells etc
Old 03-16-2020, 04:10 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Hefe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean, if CC is doing their job then tank shouldn’t need to switch targets. But if there is a reason to switch targets then it makes sense for a tank to also be MA so that everyone can quickly swap targets and CC can lock down the old target.

Having the MA and tank be different characters opens up too many possibilities for miscommunication I think.
that in itself can be a problem. The group should stay on the original target unless the ma/tank calls for them to attack a new mob.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:44 PM
Planar Protector

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you have a Ranger in your party he should ALWAYS be main assist. Rangers naturally know which enemy is to be favored. Call it the favored enemy sense. Now I know what you are thinking: what if the Ranger dies? Well, the truth is, if your Ranger dies, everyone should lay down their weapons and accept death, for all hope is lost.
After > 8 years I have at least seen a post on these forums worthy of of an upvote. Thank you sir for your fine contribution.
Closed Thread