Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 06:52 PM
Banned

Hitokiri (1969) [aka Tenchu!]

WOW what a good movie. This is like the Godfather of samurai movies. As in, it kinda looks and feels like it and from the same year. Basically a gangster film, about a loveable idealistic far-right fascist killing machine. Despite his own brutality, once he is in the inner circle of an ambitious crew he is too idealistic to go along with all the treachery.

Beautifully filmed, amazing soundtrack. Most realistic swordplay I think I've ever seen in a film, which actually goes FAST and is depicted grittily and honestly instead of the idealized kame-hame style where one fights many but the many kinda stand by the sides waiting to 1v1. All choreographed incredibly. Lead actor is great. His creepy boss is the star from Sword of Doom. He also has an awesome GF stuck in indentured sex slavery, with a scene so good we had to pause and screw. Movie benefits from knowing a bit of the history of the beginning of the meiji era.
Last edited by imperiouskitten; 12-13-2020 at 06:55 PM..
Old 12-15-2020, 08:59 PM
Banned

Samurai Banners aka Fûrin kazan (1969)

REALLY GREAT movie about a samurai's (Toshiro Mifune's) career from ronin to Takeda retainer during their wars with Murakami and Uesugi, from young Takeda Shingen to raising his kid, Katsuyori. Toshiro plays one of the famous Takeda generals with ruthless, brilliant tactics but a strong sense of romance and honor and love, super swoony. The romance arc is really heartfelt and fantastic.

Incredible film if you enjoy the history of this era or even just played Shogun 2, nobunaga's ambition etc and love Takeda clan. A lot of focus on military strategy, even repeatedly showing animated maps explaining the battle lines and expansion plans. Such a good military film. Cinematography is 7/10 but I'll be damned if the Takeda red armor isn't the coolest looking military uniform of all time.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongNpretty [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dang u dropped a hard "J" in there....
lol
Old 12-15-2020, 09:02 PM
Banned

btw i got all these movies on le bey de pyraht if you want to follow along. If I listed it here i downloaded it lately! Some of these movies are f'n incredible. We're chewing on a 3.5hr one right now that has these AWESOME noh scenes, I'll review it when finished (fyi most of these films are normal length, this one is uniquely long)
Old 12-15-2020, 09:03 PM
Planar Protector

Visitor Q

"the dead get wet!"

I cant recommend this movie enough.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:05 PM
Banned

Thank you! Will DL [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-15-2020, 09:14 PM
Banned

If you're bored of film you should srsly get some of these. I'm only a half size weeb, but they are a huge breath of fresh air culture wise. It gets sad not watching any theater at all. Ur GF will thank u and think ur smart.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperiouskitten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you! Will DL [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keep mind open [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] https://youtu.be/8Lgj93sT67Q
Old 12-15-2020, 09:16 PM
Banned

oh wow it looks super cool I love that handicam film style
Old 12-15-2020, 09:21 PM
Planar Protector

Its from a time where movies like that were like, holy crap someone made a movie like this?!

Same guy that made Ichi the killer, and Audition, which at least one is already ITT heh.

Audition messed me up, I went on a date after I saw it a week later with a girl and then thought she was going to put me in a burlap sack so I tanked the date and went home fast.
Closed Thread