Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Apparently this might actually happen in my lifetime. More and more I'm hearing about drugs that target senescent cells. Destroying these "Zombie" cells prevents a lot of the harm of aging apparently.
It totally might: Google/Alphabet made a $1.5 billion bet on "defeating death" with their Calico start-up (https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...ife-span-trip/). Even for Google that's a lot of cash, and you don't throw that out unless you think there's a decent chance it will happen in the next 20 years.

But at the same time life-extension involves a lot more than just killing "Zombie cells". We don't even know everything about what causes aging, but one big part of it is telomers. Those are bits of "junk" DNA hanging off the end of every chromosome in every one of your cells. Every time the cell replicates it copies its chromosomes, but that process loses a bit of the telomers every time it happens, which means that over the course of your life your cells start running out of telomers. When that happens your new cells starting getting errors in their chromosomes, because without telomers part of the "real" DNA gets lost in the copying.

We have some ideas of ways to restore telomers, but they involve side effects like massive amounts of cancer. If we can figure out a non-cancer-causing way to restore them though that alone will increase lifespans significantly.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:31 PM
Banned

if this stuff is true how many years you think red99 will go on with a population of 30? a hundred years? a thousand?
Old 12-13-2017, 10:52 PM
Banned

you know, you have to wonder about society. Like, if 10 years ago you said, "id never have a facebook" but now you post pictures of your dog when it does something funny...

eventually people are gonna be makin new things you'd say "id never put a computer chip in my face" over now but one day everyone will be like, "get w/ it ive had one since I was 4" and youll give into it too...

at what point do we all just go with the democrat style of living where we get rid of all our individuality and free thought?

Its only natural for us to fade away into computers as time goes on so..

Seems like living forever would be pretty lame.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:26 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
errors in their chromosomes
For some strange reason that little excerpt reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FgHs3D4LAo
Old 12-14-2017, 12:28 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmoranis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you know, you have to wonder about society. Like, if 10 years ago you said, "id never have a facebook" but now you post pictures of your dog when it does something funny...

eventually people are gonna be makin new things you'd say "id never put a computer chip in my face" over now but one day everyone will be like, "get w/ it ive had one since I was 4" and youll give into it too...

at what point do we all just go with the democrat style of living where we get rid of all our individuality and free thought?

Truly a modern day Socrates... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-14-2017, 12:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmoranis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

*daps foglet*
Old 12-14-2017, 02:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Independence Day franchise.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:48 AM
Planar Protector

Money lenders will sell it cheap, the longer someone in debt lives the more money the banks make!
Old 12-14-2017, 06:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurisDictum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Apparently this might actually happen in my lifetime. More and more I'm hearing about drugs that target senescent cells. Destroying these "Zombie" cells prevents a lot of the harm of aging apparently.

I think if any of it was working noticeably well we would already know (unless its some super secret formula only for the rich). But it is an interesting concept. Some think you might be able to get about as healthy as you were at 25 -- right up until you are about ready to croak.

Link to article that predicts all kinds of legislative problems. How is the insurance industry going to coup? etc...
allegedly ALCAR can emulate this effect. I have to do about 1k hours of research into the nature of the substance and possible downstream effects of taking massive doses daily, but apparently a doctor did it to himself already for a few decades. He was the original doctor who postulated ALCAR, and ascorbic acid (vitamin C) should completely retard the aging process. Naturally 30-40 years later, he realizes he was wrong about ascorbic acid but not necessarily wrong about ALCAR.

another doctor who did research in that field had the same postulation except he wanted to demonstrate oxidative stress through another mechanism. So what he did was cover 1 hand in aloe (very extreme moisturizer so obviously can't use this on anywhere else on the body unless you want to look like a plastic wrapped mummy) every day of his life for 30-40 years. The experiment worked, and the oxidative stress theory was proven. One of his hands is 40 years younger than the other hand at the age of 70. Fact.

whale its not all about Retin-A and u live in areas of very low humidity at times. I'm worried about u specifically as xaanks has the moisture of youth on his side. So the question u should be asking is, is my moisturizer game correct? Do I have a harmful moisturizer or a safe productive one? Is my moisturizer going to keep those extra 10-15 years off me?

Last word. ALCAR works by altering the function of your cellular mitochondria (a somewhat drastic change in the metabolism of the mitochondria itself). It could have potential consequences and cascade reactions when taken long term until I evaluate the metabolics of it I'm not interested just yet.

ps. ive known about ALCAR for over a decade but shied away from it.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Last edited by AzzarTheGod; 12-14-2017 at 07:10 AM..
Old 12-14-2017, 10:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
allegedly ALCAR can emulate this effect. I have to do about 1k hours of research into the nature of the substance and possible downstream effects of taking massive doses daily, but apparently a doctor did it to himself already for a few decades. He was the original doctor who postulated ALCAR, and ascorbic acid (vitamin C) should completely retard the aging process. Naturally 30-40 years later, he realizes he was wrong about ascorbic acid but not necessarily wrong about ALCAR.

another doctor who did research in that field had the same postulation except he wanted to demonstrate oxidative stress through another mechanism. So what he did was cover 1 hand in aloe (very extreme moisturizer so obviously can't use this on anywhere else on the body unless you want to look like a plastic wrapped mummy) every day of his life for 30-40 years. The experiment worked, and the oxidative stress theory was proven. One of his hands is 40 years younger than the other hand at the age of 70. Fact.

whale its not all about Retin-A and u live in areas of very low humidity at times. I'm worried about u specifically as xaanks has the moisture of youth on his side. So the question u should be asking is, is my moisturizer game correct? Do I have a harmful moisturizer or a safe productive one? Is my moisturizer going to keep those extra 10-15 years off me?

Last word. ALCAR works by altering the function of your cellular mitochondria (a somewhat drastic change in the metabolism of the mitochondria itself). It could have potential consequences and cascade reactions when taken long term until I evaluate the metabolics of it I'm not interested just yet.

ps. ive known about ALCAR for over a decade but shied away from it.
are you saying if I cover myself in Aloe everyday, my skin won't age and all I have to do is deal with a bit of excess gloss and slipperiness?