Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

Default Newbie Zones: Ready for Launch?

I know it's been mentioned before, but it really seems like the newbie zones are going to be practically unplayable at launch. Let's assume a population at the low end of estimates, 1000 players. You're probably looking at numbers something like ~350 on Faydwer, ~250 in Qeynos, ~200 in Freeport, ~150 in Oggok/Grobb, ~50 in Misty. Do you guys think GM's will add more mobs or have gms in different zones with /spawn command (I think someone mentioned they did this on some new servers on live.) If not, which zones do you think will be most able to handle the amount of players?

1) Freeport. Seems like a decent bet, as there are not one but two newbie yards. Dark elves will probably come here too, some will stay in nek. EC and Nro have some newbie stuff.

2) Qeynos. Probably going to be really awful. I think people will be attracted to this one with all the great newbie quests, but theres only one newbie yard, QH is relatively spaced out, and a lot of barbarian and erudite players will come here to hunt. Speaking of that....

3) Everfrost. Seems emptier of roaming gnolls and goblins than I remember on live, but we all know how reliable memory is. It's a tough start on blue for sure with hardly any level 1 roamers in those chasms. Maybe it won't be that bad on green since most mobs are level 2+ people can group and take them down, but still seems somewhat devoid of creatures to hunt.

4) Tox. Actually not as bad a newbie zone as you might think, but the current version on blue is littered with too many infected rats (75% of stuff north of the river maybe?) rather than stuff that drops armor/weapons. Seems to be a classic monster though so it's probably going to be like that at launch unless it gets fixed.

5) Misty. I don't know much about this zone, but since it's pretty much going to just be halflings here it might be a good bet. I am not familiar with mob density

6) Feerrott. Some camps here that are tough for single ogres to break, but should be doable with groups of ogres, so might not be that bad? Not sure if mob density is enough for peeps though, seems unlikely?

7) Innothule. I'm not sure there will be enough creatures here to hunt for the newbies, as you pretty much need to stay close to the wall. Unless some brave groups venture into the watery parts of the swamp, but there don't seem to be a high density of critters so I'm not sure it'd be worth it.

8) Gfay. I don't know shit about this place as a newbie zone, but it seems like a lot of people love it. How good is it going to be with 250+ (probably at a minimum) newbies looking to kill orcs. How is the monster density in this zone?

9) Steamfont. Also don't know shit about this zone, is there enough to hunt for 50 gnomes and some sprinkled wood/half/high elves that want to come here (maybe some dwarves?)

10) Butcher. Don't know much about this zone either but seems pretty spread out.

11) Neriak. Forest is ok I think, I'm assuming people will hunt the halflings on green. Probably a bunch gonna go to freeport.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-02-2019, 02:18 PM
Planar Protector

I think the first few hours are going to be pure insanity, no matter what [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But I think after that, we'll see it spill out all over the place. West Karana is full of stuff for low level players to level up on for instance. On Blue there's no reason to enter the zone until you're ready for Scarecrows or Bandits, but there's plenty of lower level animals no one even bothers to kill, because they can just go to Qeynos Hills/Everfrost (closer), or Blackburrow (has fangs) instead.

But if all those zones are full ... West Karana will be far from the only zone I think we'll be surprised to see low level people XPing in.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:19 PM
Planar Protector

Honestly, I am trying not to think about it. I am waiting to see what happens. After the outcry that happened here for something as simple as removing tab cycling targeting, I believe not as many people are actually after the classic experience and will stay on blue.

But, if it's crazy, then it's crazy. I am just going to soak it all in! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-02-2019, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

Talking

We survived wow classic launch; this will be fine too. Don't expect to make huge gains right from the start tho lol
Old 10-02-2019, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

It's going to be kill-stealing mania. No CSR is going to respond to /petition he took my moss snake.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:26 PM
Planar Protector

Rogean has stated that the server can handle the load. ToV with 400+ people was a testament to that.

Also they are getting newer hardware.

I just hope people record green launch day
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:27 PM
Orc

I'm still trying to guess what kind of numbers we will see for launch. I'm glad it's spaced out long enough away from the wow classic release as I'm starting to see some friends that play it hit 60 and will potentially return for green. My guess has been between 2-3k . Perhaps I'm overestimating p99s following. What did it look like for velious release ?
Old 10-02-2019, 02:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenagra [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm still trying to guess what kind of numbers we will see for launch. I'm glad it's spaced out long enough away from the wow classic release as I'm starting to see some friends that play it hit 60 and will potentially return for green. My guess has been between 2-3k . Perhaps I'm overestimating p99s following. What did it look like for velious release ?
Velious peaked over 2k. I estimate green will be 3k+ for the launch
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-02-2019, 02:29 PM
Planar Protector

Is there grass on the field?
Old 10-02-2019, 02:30 PM
Sarnak

Everfrost will probably be the least populated initially. Innothule and Feerrott will probably be very manageable. After that... its all downhill from there.

Assuming we have 2k people at launch, thats going to be several hundred players in each of the more popular races zones competing for kills.
Closed Thread