Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pretty sure the off-tick thing is because the client launcher tick is different then the server tick.
I think the real question, from a programmer's perspective, is why does the client have a tick? The server corrects it, it'll always correct it, the client shouldn't ever try to simulate the server. It's also, I'm fairly sure, the reason why the notification of critical hit damage is way off.

I don't think I've ever seen the critical hit damage announced to the area VS seeing the white damage match up.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the real question, from a programmer's perspective, is why does the client have a tick? The server corrects it, it'll always correct it, the client shouldn't ever try to simulate the server.
Not sure exactly, but you have to remember that back in the day you couldn't rely on the server being there 100% of the time: connections sucked. Most likely the client has a tick so the player doesn't notice when the server is unreachable for a few seconds, and Verant just did a better job of keeping the two in sync so we never noticed that that was happening.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:04 PM
Planar Protector

Cycle last two targets is a huge one for me. Also, /rt and /tt although im not sure if they are classic or not...
Old 05-16-2017, 02:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think the real question, from a programmer's perspective, is why does the client have a tick? The server corrects it, it'll always correct it, the client shouldn't ever try to simulate the server. It's also, I'm fairly sure, the reason why the notification of critical hit damage is way off.

I don't think I've ever seen the critical hit damage announced to the area VS seeing the white damage match up.
A lot of client-server games (such as EQ, Quake, WoW, etc...) have some amount of client prediction built in. That allows for a smoother game play from the client's perspective. The client guesses what the game state should be now, according to the information he received before and the server corrects it every once in a while, remaining the only authority all the while.

This used to be immensely more useful back when internet connections were slow and unreliable. You basically couldn't play any 3D game through the internet without good prediction built in the client.

I seem to remember that the few first versions of Quake 1 had no prediction. You could play a deathmatch through a LAN with little difficulties (by then standards), but it was entirely unplayable through anything slower than that.

You can see it, for example, when two characters run together on P99, the other character will not run very smoothly. He will warp around. That warp is when the server sends some information to the client which corrects whatever YOUR client had predicted given the other character's heading and run speed you've been notified of last.

It is possible that the mana tick mismatch between the client and the server is due to some prediction bug. The client knows the current mana regen rate of the character and works with it. When the character attempts to cast a spell, the game state is refreshed on the client and it gets the actual server-side mana amount of the character.

Maybe because Titanium is a very old client and EQEmu doesn't support its prediction as well as the more recent clients.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:10 AM
Planar Protector

/pet feign before someone snitched - had great fun with it.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:27 AM
Planar Protector

They added extra 'correction' ticks to P99 because the client is expecting rates of HP and mana regen that are too high for the era P99 is in.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:36 PM
Skeleton

I wish I could better remember the game as it originally was, but I'm getting old. Yeah, I was wondering about the "Find" button too. Why is it even there if it doesn't work? Are they planning on implementing it later?

I do like the "Link" button too although I've not used it yet. I've only been on a week and have one character at level 5 at the moment so I don't have the money yet to buy anything, lol. (I know it shows that I joined a couple of years ago, but I'd made an account before I realized that I need the Titanium discs to be able to join the game. I only just got them a little over a week ago, lol.)
Old 05-16-2017, 02:43 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldEQGamer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wish I could better remember the game as it originally was, but I'm getting old. Yeah, I was wondering about the "Find" button too. Why is it even there if it doesn't work? Are they planning on implementing it later?

I do like the "Link" button too although I've not used it yet. I've only been on a week and have one character at level 5 at the moment so I don't have the money yet to buy anything, lol. (I know it shows that I joined a couple of years ago, but I'd made an account before I realized that I need the Titanium discs to be able to join the game. I only just got them a little over a week ago, lol.)
My guess is that it was in the default for Titanium. It was a relatively nice feature that I believe made its debut around Luclin.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:28 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is literally the first time I hear of it and I played 2000-2002. Anyone else confirm this existed during Velious? That would make the current zoom in/out very classic.

(But I doubt it)
I guess I can't prove it to you and I don't suppose it really matters anyway but I guarantee you could zoom in and out. I did it all the time from when I first started playing in 99 until I quit for good sometime in the planes of power era.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess I can't prove it to you and I don't suppose it really matters anyway but I guarantee you could zoom in and out. I did it all the time from when I first started playing in 99 until I quit for good sometime in the planes of power era.
The question is, was it a zoom like on P99? With the camera chasing you, allowing you essentially 360 degrees field of view?

You could zoom back then, indeed, in some of the F9 modes, but it wasn't the same as here. You couldn't really just play zoomed out (which is the whole point).
Closed Thread