Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Do you think this is a good idea?
Yes 61 54.46%
No, I like 3x more zones than players 51 45.54%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:23 AM
Large Bat

How about making it that so anybody who attacks somebody else in many old world zones and a few Kunark zones is subject to no level limit pvp (and people who attack them are not subject to this, but can be attacked back by the player they attacked)? This might cut down on low level twinks harassing people by making their lives more difficult.

Also, why do spells have a 2% chance to land not 5% like it was on Live against people with high resists? I know this is a minor thing, but doesn't this stack the deck in favor of existing players with good gear even more and discourage new people from joining?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squabbles123 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only PvP server I would play on again in EQ is a team PvP server.

Team PvP was pretty cool on live, it didn't last long, but the concept of "controlling territory" was very fun.
^this. I played on Sullon Zek back in Velious/Luclin era and loved it. IMO delete red and release team pvp server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Mechanical changes such as (early on in the server's lifecycle) taking exp loss upon a pvp death, implementation of the global ooc which allowed toxicity to spread game-wide, yellow text which caused a name-and-shame element to pvp (all of the preceding were not classic, btw) inhibited player growth and retention.
I never thought about it but I think the yellow text name-and-shame might be a big factor in the servers toxicity because it give incentive to pvping via the leaderboard. There was nothing like this back in the day which would drive people to PVP more other than they just felt like pvping (not for points). I think this drives some of the main r99 players to always search for others to kill to try and top the leaderboard. Just something that stuck out to me form your statement. I don't think there would be as much PVP without the yellow text and the 3rd party leaderboard, and possibly not as much greifing. But alas that might be something that the die hard r99 people love. I still greatly enjoy pvp, just wish there was a teams server (race or diety)
Old 05-19-2017, 12:10 PM
Sarnak

Man, u forgot
C: don't save red
Old 05-19-2017, 02:15 PM
Planar Protector

There are are other servers with 1-10 players. Red is 100+ pop daily.. It's not dead.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Planar Protector

How do you know if it does or doesnt need saving if you havent tried it? Looking at the pop and makong the decision based on a number isn't getting the whole picture <3
Old 05-19-2017, 03:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There are are other servers with 1-10 players. Red is 100+ pop daily.. It's not dead.
Obligatory ...
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:29 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
making the decision based on a number isn't getting the whole picture <3
That is actually a superbly valid point. And I hope anyone who is just going to QQ BS reads this.

There are private mmorpg servers with population incredibly low. However where they make up for population is the 1 on 1 interactions between players and or staff. When the population is so boiled down everyone knows each other and it gives a greater sense of community. This is significantly apparent on roleplay servers. I've met some of the nicest, coolest and genuine people on low population servers. Who otherwise would fall to the wayside on a high pop server. If you want to be gritty about it,. Compare fast food to a friends and family get together meal.

Stop looking at low population like it equals gloom and doom. Take a moment to absorb the bigger picture and embrace that which you may be missing out on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Obligatory ...
<image>
lol well played [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 05-19-2017 at 03:33 PM..
Old 05-19-2017, 05:08 PM
Kobold

My crazy suggestion:

Have a sort of soft level cap at around level 30ish. What I mean is everything works normally up to level 30 but beyond 30 if you die you drop back to level 30 (or whatever specific level they decided would be best).

This way most of the population is kept close to the same level so that PvP is more fun. It keeps high end loot from proliferating and being dumped on low level twinks (at least slows it down). Add to the post level 30 risk by allowing item loot on anyone who was above level 30 when they died.

Preferably put in some kind of points earning system for PvP kills. Points could be used to buy no-trade items from a special vendor.

Oh, and make it a teams server.

And if all of this doesn't work, wipe it clean and try a different rule set.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:09 PM
Banned

Best answer to save red is to wipe it and disable PVP
Old 05-19-2017, 07:50 PM
Aviak

Here it is. The reason. The problem. The solution. Are you ready?

It's the community. It's the players on the server.
Closed Thread