Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 12:30 PM
Kobold

Default My thoughts about what the new server should be

Most of you are assuming that it will be a new server which follows the correct timeline for patches and expansions and you're almost certainly right. I think that's probably what it will be as well.

The thing is, that seems kind of pointless to me. I mean, yes, it would be fun to have a fresh server again for a while but we all know that doesn't last. It will end up being just another blue server and do we really need two that are exactly the same?

Maybe they are going to wipe the server every time it reaches the end of the timeline and start it over again and again. I guess that would be something but I don't know how much motivation people would have to keep doing that over and over.

Honestly, I think they should take a chance on different rule sets. Try out different things and if it doesn't work wipe it and try something else. Try a team PvP server. If the population falls to a low level then wipe it.

Try a Team PvP server with a level 30 maximum level limit and you lose a level if you die to another player.

Try a vanilla blue server with custom content.

There are lots of thing that could be tried which would not require a lot of effort for the devs. Custom content of course would take some doing but a lot of other things wouldn't take a lot of work.

If they find a rule set that is popular then hey, make it permanent or wipe the current red server and change it to the new rule set.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:31 PM
Sarnak

Isn't that pretty much eqemu already is? Not sure what you're suggesting.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:42 PM
Kobold

I'm saying that having another server which is identical to the one we already have is pointless so why not experiment with different rule sets.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:56 PM
Aviak

I think following a classic timeline for patch release and expansion will be a hugely different experience from what we have here on Blue.

Even with all the game knowledge and experience Velious will be a lot tougher on release with only seven months of Kunark gear and levels. I guess if 50% of people play clerics or rogues...
Old 05-02-2019, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

He’s right when Green reaches same patch as Blue theres 0 difference in servers outside of individual player wealth which really doesnt change a ton of the game outside of fewer twinks leveling. If there’s nothing significantly different within ruleset so the experience is different, Green will feel like a niche place just waiting to get back to where our characters are on Blue.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:44 PM
Kobold

Green server should have project M enabled.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:59 PM
Aviak

So once green offloads everyone to blue it will get wiped and the cycle restarts?
Old 05-02-2019, 02:14 PM
Orc

I want the p99 experience but with different zems. Or some kind of zem of the week.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:16 PM
Sarnak

+1 for coin-loot, team pvp server with balanced pvp ruleset (not 100% classic)

I have very very fond memories of the 1999 experience on Tallon Zek. I really like Blue, but its just not the same as TZ
Last edited by walfreyydo; 05-02-2019 at 02:23 PM..
Old 05-02-2019, 02:23 PM
Planar Protector

So, OP, your 'try this, try that' sounds good until you have to do it, as in all of the work it takes from staff. The entire point of this whole project has been to recreate as exactly as possible the original timeline and experience of EQ. Blue has been their testbed for developing the various patches and timeline events...once they have that in the can then they can replay it easily without having to put in tons of work. This project has never been about keeping players amused.
They did try a Red server but we all know how that turned out. I know some people like EQ PvP but most do not.

What I'd like to see is to have the client follow the timeline, too. Stone at first with the med book, etc.