Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 02-26-2019, 04:47 PM
Planar Protector

Default A Haunted Chest

On Project1999, in both versions of Hate, I don't remember this being anything more than an ordinary warrior type mob only sought after for its potential drops, and not considered to be any great cause for concern when in camp. However, it seems that back in classic these chests would AoE dispel a lot, while also casting Deadly Poison.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=3788

Quote:
Droped
#Nov 23 2000 at 6:46 PMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
i was in there last night and killed chest and it dropped haste gloves and i got em since i was only monk there. P.S. i also got shiv boots and gloves and the visit before this one i got legs GL with chest he dispells like a *****
Quote:
u wouldnt believe what i got
#Nov 17 2000 at 4:05 PMRating: Default
Anonymous
Anonymous
these are by far my most loved creatures in the game, last night i got indo bp from this thing, tho these DO DISPELL LIKE MAD! make sure u got a lot of ppl to take away the Deadly Poisin tho.
Quote:
chests
#Jul 26 2000 at 3:37 AMRating: Decent
Anonymous
When I was last in Hate we got 2 sets of Warrior boots from these. also mark they they dispell like MAD! I am talking about a dispell that removes your 5-6 top buffs. They also cast Deadly Poison [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Yep
#Apr 19 2000 at 11:40 AMRating: Decent
Anonymous
Yeah, these guys are the POH version of the Phoboplasms in POF.
https://web.archive.org/web/20010206...ts/default.asp
Note: The screenshot itself does not load.

Quote:
2/5/2001 3:00:41 PM
A Haunted Chest in the Plane of Hate
Menteth
Very interesting mob, area of effect dispell, and it makes neat squishy noises as it's lid opens and shuts. Little things like that impress me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-27-2019, 04:07 PM
Project Manager

Good finds.

Right now, the chests have a small % chance to proc nullify magic, which seems to be incorrect.

Any ideas what AE dispell they should cast? Assuming they would proc deadly poison, and cast dispell. Hmm.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:49 PM
Planar Protector

A glare lord seems to cast a similar AoE dispell:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=718

The page lists as 'Phobocancel' as the spell, targeted AE:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=976
Quote:
1: Cancel Magic (4)
2: Cancel Magic (4)
The haunted chest page doesn't list under 'NPCs with this ability' but the page isn't listing the ability at all.

So I would guess since these mobs were created at the same time and have similar mentions of AoE dispell it should be Phobocancel. Unsure if that is in an SPDAT parse in era as I don't have those files with me here, but maybe there is an equivalent spell (beholder dispell?).

I believe you can also reference what you use on 'an avenging gazer' in Plane of Sky as those are also in era dispells.

I checked into Phoboplasm, interesting to see it also has an AoE dispel, but later potentially got changed to single target dispell, not sure if chest would also have been affected. Not exactly an out-pouring of confirming comments either way:
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/n...9&p=2#comments
Quote:
Mar 01 2000
A few things to add to Necew's post... They drop random armor that is found in both PoF and PoH. These mobs are also a buffers nightmare as they ae dispell now, so don't buff to much before pulling these.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/n...9&p=1#comments
Quote:
Aug 14 2000
Proc dispels, but are single-target, not the AE like glare lords and tentacle tormentors. Were very hard to mesmerize.
Anyways, hope this helps in making a decision.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:38 AM
Planar Protector

http://www.hyperhighway.com/bilgehun...r/used/Box.jpg

Quote:
Bethanor feels a bit dispelled.
a haunted chest says 'You will not evade me Bethanor'
Eclipsis feels a bit dispelled.
Unfortunately, there are no other screenshots of the same fight. As crowded around as the raid members are, others should have been dispelled as well which may have been the case but not enough of the text is shown. The chat also appears to indicate that haunted chests were hard to mez, perhaps they shared that with phoboplasms as well. There are websites with snippets of logs from raid encounters back in classic, but so far none that show either of the two mobs in question.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:50 AM
Planar Protector

Thumbs up

Good find, at the very least seems it should be AoE dispel and high MR mob.

In regards to more targets being hit i'm not sure. 2 people get dispel while it seems debuffing is going on. Very common to have MA / SA next to each other on a mob back then.

Also notice Ravihn casts ensnare and it lands (1.75 sec cast time) . Chest is then facing Ravihn in screenshot (assuming he got agro). A lot could happen to positioning in 2 secs in hate. MA being summoned could also have changed mob position.

Could very well be a small radius Targeted AE like Phobocancel.

You mentioned log snippets on some sites, can you link them? I always flag old log links to mine for classic data [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-28-2019, 11:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Good find, at the very least seems it should be AoE dispel and high MR mob.

In regards to more targets being hit i'm not sure. 2 people get dispel while it seems debuffing is going on. Very common to have MA / SA next to each other on a mob back then.

Also notice Ravihn casts ensnare and it lands (1.75 sec cast time) . Chest is then facing Ravihn in screenshot (assuming he got agro). A lot could happen to positioning in 2 secs in hate. MA being summoned could also have changed mob position.

Could very well be a small radius Targeted AE like Phobocancel.
It's also worth noting that the buffs from the player's first person perspective have not been dispelled, so the radius must not be that far-reaching. But again, a lot can happen within a few seconds. The player might have just came from the other direction, within range. Ravihn's snare landed but malosi did as well just before, and "finally" just as mez also "finally" landed. So as you said, it seems likely that chests had high MR and in fact one of the comments below says as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You mentioned log snippets on some sites, can you link them? I always flag old log links to mine for classic data [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
http://www.whodany.com/poh.html
There were a few others, but I haven't been able to find those yet.

As for the type of dispel itself, it seems likely that it was Phobocancel as you mentioned, considering the blue text message is the same and the only other spell that uses it is Cancel Magic.

Beholder Dispel: You feel very dispelled.
Nullify Magic: You feel dispelled.
Phobocancel: You feel a bit dispelled.
Cancel Magic: You feel a bit dispelled.

https://web.archive.org/web/20011228...7259&mode=show
Quote:
Submited by: Firion Vazaelle On: 10/7/2001 3:58:50 AM
One thing worth mentioning is they dispell people. Dunno if its a proc or a spell, but nevertheless, they do it.
https://web.archive.org/web/20010418...how&BID=127259
Quote:
Submited by: Brus On: 5/10/2000 1:37:44 AM
As for attack, I believe it does the normal hits for message and it does cast. Far too often for my taste. It is highly resistant to magics, though still castable on. The level range here seems a bit on the high side as I've seen blue chests at 50.
https://thesafehouse.org/forums/foru...-plane-of-hate
Quote:
08-10-00, 09:42 AM Haunted Chest - Warrior - They look like a bog box with teeth. They will proc a Nullify Magic, so they will strip your buffs. They can drop any armor item from the Planes of Fear, and possibly from Hate. They do not see a rogue, but do see others. They have an extremely small aggro range and are very slow. When pulling, the puller has to stay close, or the box will forget and go home. They even aggro other mobs at a very short range. Boxes spawn only in fixed locations. They are not on any other spawn table.
Old 03-04-2019, 11:44 PM
Planar Protector

Just to verify that Phobocancel is a valid in era spell, found in a 4/11/2000 SPDAT that was provided from Ele:
Quote:
Phobocancel
Cancel Magic + 4 levels
Cancel Magic + 4 levels

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classes: None

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Range to Target: 200 feet
Area Effect Range: 20 feet

Skill: Instantaneous
Allowable Targets: NPC

Resistance Check: None

Spell Duration: Instant
Spell Recovery: 2.25 seconds
Recast Delay: 10.0 seconds

Spell cast on you: You feel a bit dispelled.
Spell cast on someone: Soandso feels a bit dispelled.
Looks like a 20 unit radius around the target (so fairly small AoE). Unsure if this helps determine if it is centered around the target or the caster in this case. It does say allowable targets are 'NPCs', so not sure if it is some kind of self-targeted spell they cast? I would also assume since this is a 'skill' it is not actually being cast by the haunted chest.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, will leave it to the devs who are the vets in this case.

EDIT: Assuming since chest itself didn't receive a dispell message that it is casted on the target. Guessing the allowable target NPC thing was easily bypassed by NPC casting rules (such as Wuoshi in era being able to use Druid Charm to charm players)
Last edited by Rygar; 03-04-2019 at 11:47 PM..
Old 02-03-2020, 01:34 PM
Planar Protector

Default bump

http://web.archive.org/web/20001020055841

Quote:
Approximate Location: Submit a LOC!
Approximate Level: 48-50
Special Abilities: See Invisible, Area Effect Dispel Magic.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:11 AM
Sarnak

I find the claim that they proc deadly poison to be suspicious. Isn't that what the rats proc? Is it not likely that the people getting hit by chests are also getting hit by rats, and getting confused?
Old 02-17-2020, 03:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarity [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I find the claim that they proc deadly poison to be suspicious. Isn't that what the rats proc? Is it not likely that the people getting hit by chests are also getting hit by rats, and getting confused?
This seems more than likely to be the case. So far, nowhere else has there been direct mention of haunted chests and deadly poison, and there haven't been any screenshots on the old guild websites implying a link between the two.

From thesafehouse.org...

Quote:
Zato
Y.O.L.G
Zato

Book of Knowledge: Guide to the Plane of Hate
02-16-00, 11:23 AM

Revultant Rat - Warrior - They look like a giant diseased rat and have low magic resist, but proc Deadly Poison. Only drop is a Ranger Whip. They do not see rogues, but may or may not see normal invis (some do, some don't). They have a small aggro range.

Haunted Chest - Warrior - They look like a bog box with teeth. They will proc a Nullify Magic, so they will strip your buffs. They can drop any armor item from the Planes of Fear, and possibly from Hate. They do not see a rogue, but do see others. They have an extremely small aggro range and are very slow. When pulling, the puller has to stay close, or the box will forget and go home. They even aggro other mobs at a very short range. Boxes spawn only in fixed locations. They are not on any other spawn table.
These same warnings were later echoed by Agnarr players.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Agnarr/comm...u/poh_farming/
Quote:
Kiaro_Ghostfaced
4 points
2 years ago
Chests do have a large dispel, like 4 buff slots, and its a proc.

Tasadar
4 points
2 years ago
rats have painful dots, they make stronger enchanter pets but their dots can mess with CC and be painful for the enchanter in general, they dont drop gear but pat, in lue of an abhorrent use a rat or a ghast

Haunted chests dispel. They drop loot from fear including the amazing druid bracer. They dispell. This is fucking annoying. If you have a physical tank its fine just tank them away from the group. If you are using an enchanter pet skip them entirely.