Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 12:00 PM
Sarnak

Default Quests requiring languages besides Common?

I have always wondered if there are (or were) to be quests in the game that required the player to talk to the non playing character (or target monster) proficiently in a language other than Common? The player is allowed to learn all these different languages, but short of role playing, they do not seem to have a purpose.

Is there something in the game that perhaps has been missed all this time? Yes, the code has (probably) been reviewed forwards and backwards, but still...

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2018, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

Language were nice on vallon zek...
Old 04-30-2018, 12:43 PM
Planar Protector

Languages are also commonly used on books used in quest, but thx to the wiki, you don't need to read them...
Old 04-30-2018, 01:13 PM
Planar Protector

The Tesch Val scrolls quest involves scrolls written in Gnoll, and if you want to be able to read them you need to speak Gnoll well ...

... but you don't actually need to read them to complete the quest, it's just fluff.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never knew this. How does one learn Gnoll?
Same as any other language, ie. you can either:

A) spend 100 (I think? maybe less) training points on it, although I don't think Gnoll is even trainable until you reach a certain level

or:

B) get someone who has at least one point in Gnoll to speak Gnoll at you (I think it might have to be in /say or /group, not /tell) for an extended period of time. Every time they speak you have a chance of a skill-up.

I've actually been meaning to do a "language party" in EC one of these days: everyone groups up, changes their language so they each speak something different, sets their group speech to go to a separate small UI window, then spams a macro that says "I am teaching you a language" five times. It takes awhile but eventually everyone in the group will master five new languages ... all of which are pretty much useless, but /shrug, the parties are classic and learning languages is fun in an odd way.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 04-30-2018 at 01:58 PM..
Old 04-30-2018, 02:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarlorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Delete common tongue
I definitely remember playing a server with no common language... I think it was on Vallon zek, but it might just as well be on sullon zek or fiorina vie... No common was a blast for immersion...
Old 04-30-2018, 02:29 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Same as any other language, ie. you can either:
I've actually been meaning to do a "language party" in EC one of these days: everyone groups up, changes their language so they each speak something different, sets their group speech to go to a separate small UI window, then spams a macro that says "I am teaching you a language" five times. It takes awhile but eventually everyone in the group will master five new languages ... all of which are pretty much useless, but /shrug, the parties are classic and learning languages is fun in an odd way.
Used to do this all the time back on Live while riding/waiting for the boats with people. Classic AF.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Used to do this all the time back on Live while riding/waiting for the boats with people. Classic AF.
Seconded. My wizard was proficient in almost all the languages thanks to this. I never tried reading the gnoll scrolls though...

-Mcoy
Old 04-30-2018, 02:59 PM
Planar Protector

I thought there was one quest in like Lesser Faydark that you need to speak 'Faerie' to in order to get the quest text. Unsure if doable without learning the language (like... I don't know if your 'Faerie' question gives you an item, or just provides a clue).

Saw a post about it a while ago, someone suggested it was so obscure that it must have been leaked by a dev to be completed or some kind of other devious means.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:10 PM
Sarnak

Warrior epic 1.5 requires Elder Elvish. But that's obviously not on this server. Only one I know of.
Closed Thread