Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 03:24 PM
Sarnak

Default Paladin Solo/duo

A friend and I love to make characters that duo, we have several we rotate through, some incredibly effective, others... more of a challenge or gimmick. Currently one of our focuses is a Paladin and Cleric duo. We pretty much focus on killing undead, simply because our offensive capabilities are so much better against undead. We are currently level 48 and over the last few levels we have begun to accept the harsh truth we knew was coming since level 1.... post 50 is gonna be brutal. Our DMG output is low and although we can sustain through pretty much anything, we are trying to find ways to optimize how effective we are.

I was hoping to reach out to this awesome community for any tips or advice on ways to do that. Certain hunting locations with undead or squishy targets? Certain items that could change the tide IE proc weapons or clickies etc. We know it will be slow and not the greatest duo, but it is fun and we are gluttons for punishment. Our gear is, decent but as we round 50 we plan on sinking some money into upgrades, leaning towards offensive upgrades - I was looking at the argent protector for a weapon (epic isn't gonna happen), currently rocking hand wraps for a haste item as well as dwarf culture armor for most other pieces.

Thanks in advance for all the input, happy hunting.

PS. I think our end goal would be to do undead in the hole. as dwarves who follow Brell I think we are non KOS to the elementals down there, could be a fun off the beaten path undead camp, although I know they are pretty tough - is this a pipe dream?
Old 10-30-2019, 04:36 PM
Planar Protector

Easiest answer: pick up a Mage, Rogue or Enchanter for a trio.

If you're dead set on duoing, consider picking up some DS pots from a Shaman. Narandis Lance at 55 will be your best damage weapon with the nice ratio and DoT proc.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:47 PM
Planar Protector

My pick in other thread for worst trio was pally / sk / cleric due to the ludicrously low damage output.

No matter what or where you guys go, you'll be gimped by no damage even if you picked up some ToV stuff.

Having said that, upgrade your haste if you can. 22% to 36% will increase your DPS by about that much as well. Then grab a new weap if you feel like yours is bad.

BW giants are easy to melee and will give xp to 60, but will be painfully slow levelling.

Upstairs CoM might be okay too?
Old 10-30-2019, 06:22 PM
Sarnak

Appreciate the replies, as far as picking up a third, from time to time we snag someone passing by, but for the most part we are a dedicated duo, despite the obstacles that can bring. As soon as I hit 55 I plan on looking into that lance - haste item also a major priority.

Thanks all
Old 10-31-2019, 12:08 AM
Planar Protector

Yea, you have durability in spades but there is a lot of spell overlap with a cleric and paladin, at least in buffs.

I wouldn't worry about sticking to undead; your dps on those is not much better unless the cleric gets a Dawnfire (at low dex its like 10dpm, high dex twice that) or the pally has some undead proc weapon with a decent ratio (ie not a ghoulbane). Rather pick low hitpoint mobs. Town guards (Grobb or HHK for example).

If you want to hunt outdoors pick up a ranger or bard for snare duty so the cleric can fear. If you want to do indoors find a charm class and the pally can off-tank and spot the enchanter/necro.

Plenty of fun options. yea though, kill speed will not be your forte so you better find low hp/high ZEM targets or add a little fragile dps into the mix. A ranger for 500p should have a swarmcaller so you even have a decent slow.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:51 AM
Planar Protector

I’d suggest Nobles or bards/ISA til 55 big zem will offset your low dps for the levels you can squeeze out there, also like above poster said you need to focus on better haste and also get an eyepatch of plunder you could get self hasted to 56% without raid loot and that would make a huge difference in your DPS.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Sarnak

https://wiki.project1999.com/Tserrina%27s_Whip
Get your fear kite on. Proc then switch to your two handed.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:07 PM
Sarnak

Here's a random spot that you guys can try for another level or so (no need for gear upgrades): Dreadlands, near port in- Ancient Combine Outpost (Lost Valley #3)

Undead mobs, single pulls, not the best exp in the world but you two could tackle it
Old 11-01-2019, 05:22 PM
Planar Protector

Give the wiki a search for purecasters of the appropriate level. Separately, your spells shut them down; combined, their magic should be a nonissue, what with your abilities to dispel, stun lock, root around corner, etc. Casters really won't be able to utilize their spells, gimping them hard with their lower than average HP, which should counterbalance the low damage output on your end.

Also, stuns don't have to be spammed ad nauseam obviously. Pick and choose which detrimental spells to let through and which to stun/bash interrupt. Generally letting the DoTs and Debuffs land on Paladin is no problem, the Cleric can just cure ASAP and that mana trade between NPC/PC in those cases is significantly disproportionate in your favor.

Casters at the undead tower in the Hole are pretty tough/resistant as I recall. The line of sight is pretty forgiving in West Graveyard though, with the tombs blocking LoS, so even with a critical resist on lull, all of the ghosts shouldn't social. Bring a Midnight Mallet or two and a Journeyman's Walking Stick to give yourselves the edge. A third player would definitely help, but duo might be possible as you get closer to 60 with your particular classes. Drops are decent and the Paladin might even luck out with Keeper of the Tombs.

If you were both a few levels lower, drachnids in DL would've been an interesting plan B option to the usual spots--worth attempting at least, given that no one ever really messes with them. But with a large chunk of the population on green currently, there should be plenty of spawns elsewhere to claim. Odd duos and trios are always rewarding even when things go south, if for no other reason than the challenge of finding areas where they can hold their own. Good luck; have fun.
Last edited by Ennewi; 11-01-2019 at 05:41 PM..
Old 11-02-2019, 06:27 AM
Planar Protector

Also, since "solo" was included in the title, the Paladin might want to consider Earthshaker over the Argent Protector considering the proc, price difference, and recent changes to 2h damage with delay factored in.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/n...eply&p=2960066
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycohunden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was very stoked for this patch.
I was very dissapointed, my meljedins hit max at 250dmg 45/38 but my weighted axe at 45/150 hit for 350dmg...
so there is a bonus for very slow weapons but it is WAAAAAY lower than in classic, or they changed it further in Luclin.
I was looking to hit 500+ and getting my SK epic over 300dmg. No, my expectations were halted. To add insult to injury the delay on the new weapon is chared with the former weapon so you can't start combat with weighted axe, luck out a 1kdmg double attack, swap over to standard weapon and start chewing...
Guess that came in Luclin...
Glad for you guys who enjoy what you got, I'm done
Closed Thread