Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 03:10 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Basic Green Enchanter setup

I haven't played EQ seriously in 15 years. It was a Warrior back in the day so very basic gameplay

Fast forward to today, I now have a lvl 9 enchanter on the green server. I tried to look at guides but not many are for purely classic EQ.

What are some recommendations on spell gem order and the 6 hot keys? I have a bad habit of mouse clicking everything and trying to retrain my brain before I get into serious grouping! Thanks!
Old 11-04-2019, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

Stun, Mez, Charm, Root

Make this macro
/pause 1, /target the_pet_name_here
/pause 1, /stand
/cast #

replace # with stun, spam this when your pet breaks charm.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:34 PM
Planar Protector

Err. Being a chanter is practically the same at 60 as at 20.

Like half the spells you cast at 60 you've had since 20. Mesmerize, root, lull, calm, mesmerization, memory blur. If you read about how to use those spells in like, Loraen's guide, or watched me use them in the videos in my signature, that's basically how you use them at any level excepting for mana concerns at very low levels. Stuff like level 4 mez and level 16 aoe mez go on your bar as soon as you get them and basically never come off except when you die. Lol.

Everything else you basically just have the lower-level versions of the same spells a 60 uses. Tash, charm, berserker strength, shielding, rune, nukes. Ignore slows until like 30+ at least. In groups keep your shielding up but probably skip runes unless there's very light healing present. Magic resist buffs are great once you have them, at least keep them on the tank. When solo don't skimp on the runes but pass on the berserker line unless you know you're gonna have a tough fight and get beat on since they don't last long. It helps to pull sometimes in groups cause that tash you throw out won't generate much aggro as the initial action like it will later. Animations are solid damage boosts (pull with tash and get hit, or root a mob and stand closer to it than everyone else to get hit) until you charm, which you really should be doing before 20 but maybe not right away at 12-16.

Bind keys to your spellcasts instead of trying to use the 6 hotkeys for them. Use hotkeys for pet commands, a clicky item, etc. Baler's idea is ok unless you are fighting multiple things with the same name. Since stuff doesn't summon, make use of open space to keep your distance from your charm and every other monster too. For example, if you're solo charming to exp and you stay at max casting distance, you probably won't even need to use a stun or mez or root when you have a charm break because you'll have enough time to recharm and get your pet to pick up aggro again before the mobs even get to you.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 11-04-2019 at 03:46 PM..
Old 11-04-2019, 03:38 PM
Planar Protector

Watch Techmos's videos in his signature and listen to his advice.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:29 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Great stuff, thanks!
Old 11-05-2019, 05:08 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It helps to pull sometimes in groups cause that tash you throw out won't generate much aggro as the initial action like it will later.
Hey, regarding this. I noticed that the mobs on green do differentiate between the type of spell you cast at them initially. I have become used to pulling with tash on blue (like you describe here), but on green it seems to create a lot of agro. Was this changed you think?

For context for those that doesn't know: At least on blue previously, the first spell or hit towards a mob would only get minimal agro, while not build it. Any other hit or spell towards the mob after that initial one will take over the agro. This is good to use as a an enc as you can pull with tash without having to worry about getting beaten on for 3 rounds after, as your tank or pet can easily grab the agro.

-

As for the original question: I'd suggest not using color flux at all before you have a clicky to reset GCD. You won't get a new spell off before stun wears off anyway, just a ton of more agro and a little less mana.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:02 AM
Fire Giant

How are you guys handling no cycle npc targeting? I’ve been too spoiled on TLPs last few years trying to come back to p 99.
And yeah I’m only level 5 but if I pull with tash. No one is taking agro ever and I’m the tank.
Last edited by Velerin; 11-05-2019 at 09:06 AM..
Old 11-05-2019, 09:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by beel [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey, regarding this. I noticed that the mobs on green do differentiate between the type of spell you cast at them initially. I have become used to pulling with tash on blue (like you describe here), but on green it seems to create a lot of agro. Was this changed you think?

For context for those that doesn't know: At least on blue previously, the first spell or hit towards a mob would only get minimal agro, while not build it. Any other hit or spell towards the mob after that initial one will take over the agro. This is good to use as a an enc as you can pull with tash without having to worry about getting beaten on for 3 rounds after, as your tank or pet can easily grab the agro.

-

As for the original question: I'd suggest not using color flux at all before you have a clicky to reset GCD. You won't get a new spell off before stun wears off anyway, just a ton of more agro and a little less mana.
Not sure the issue with greens and aggro. I haven't played my ench in like a year or more. The second thing is a good tip though. Even after having a clicky to reset gems, I would never use the lowest color stun unless I was worried my longer-cast-time stuns would get interrupted... so I'd fire off flux to set up a longer stun and THEN mez. Not sure if that was really a great idea or not, but it seemed to work for me at high levels in some specific camps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velerin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How are you guys handling no cycle npc targeting? I’ve been too spoiled on TLPs last few years trying to come back to p 99.
And yeah I’m only level 5 but if I pull with tash. No one is taking agro ever and I’m the tank.
Mouse clicks and moving the camera around and using /tar sometimes.

Maybe they changed initial aggro caps? I don't think so though. I'm playing a sham on green and didn't have problems pulling with slow and other people in the group taking aggro off me easily even while I was also meleeing. At very low levels it might not feel right because you're so low, but I bet by the teens it'll feel correct.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:54 AM
Sarnak

I'm loving enchanter. I regret having waited so many years to give it a fair shot. I'm getting quite great at charm soloing thanks to resources such as Tecmos videos. I'm not finding a ton of info on determining of mem blur has stuck

Is it simply either the mob begins to regen, or it doesn't? Is there another way to tell if blur stuck for if mob is full hp? If I could figure out a way to determine if blur stuck or not 100% of the time, that would change the game for me.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiva [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is it simply either the mob begins to regen, or it doesn't? Is there another way to tell if blur stuck for if mob is full hp? If I could figure out a way to determine if blur stuck or not 100% of the time, that would change the game for me.
You can watch for it regenning 5% a tick instead of 1%. Or you can con it, because some mobs have a different con when blurred than when aggrod. Rooted mobs will also spin to face you if they are still aggrod if you circle around them, while a non-aggrod mob will continue facing straight as you spin around it.
Closed Thread