Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 02:48 PM
Planar Protector

True about the appeal being just trying to exist in a world where every other player could potentially be hostile. Having to be prepared and have your hackels up at all times is the good part. It isn't balanced of course because numbers always win and all classes work differently. It is weird when you try to do an actual force vs force competition since like you mentioned the game just isn't meant to do that.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartbrand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EverQuest PvP, at least in my humble opinion, is so fun and unique because of how unpredictable it is. The constant threat that at any moment while you're busy farming an item or a camp for EXP that some badass can show up while you're nearly OOM and finishing your kill and start raining nukes upon you. It keeps you constantly spamming /who, scrolling out and looking around, etc. Being on edge the second you see some unknown name enter the zone. Who is he? What level is he? Is he friend or foe?

This is what made the launch so exciting [despite the 10000 fuck ups], and kept me playing.

What is not particularly exciting is scheduled tournaments, and arena EQ. This is not a great PvP game for that format. These garageboxes that try to make EQ into counterstrike: kaladim edition are missing the whole point of what makes EQ PvP great to begin with.

My 2 shekels.
RoZ is trying to recreate something similar to red. Even though beta and may change the exp rate is slower than red99 right now. There isn't much custom stuff on the server outside of things like resists, pvp item loot rules, anti plug, 20 min lockout from raid zone on pvp death unless rezzed to avoid bind rushing, etc. and it is aimed to recreate the scenarios you describe.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:54 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
True about the appeal being just trying to exist in a world where every other player could potentially be hostile. Having to be prepared and have your hackels up at all times is the good part. It isn't balanced of course because numbers always win and all classes work differently. It is weird when you try to do an actual force vs force competition since like you mentioned the game just isn't meant to do that.
You would be surprised at how balanced it can actually get just by tweaking resists and something like weapon skill for hybrid melee. There will always be a rock paper scissors aspect to EQ but needing a class for PvE that is vulnerable in PvP can also add a fun dynamic.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:33 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
RIP brad, no new mmos will ever be as good as the mess you created called everquest, the amount of unpolish and harshness is what makes everquest unique and awesome.

Sadly now pantheon will most likely become like the rest of the mmos, our last hope is Rogean for a red 2.0 but i think Lite griefed him off the server
very tru
Old 11-20-2019, 06:01 PM
Banned

Will add this here too for PvP community pals:

https://youtu.be/8EcP4vQyqS8
Old 11-20-2019, 06:28 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirgon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Will add this here too for PvP community pals:

https://youtu.be/8EcP4vQyqS8
Great video, thanks post posting it.

It's strange really, I'm surprised by how saddened I am by his passing away. I've never met Brad or played any of his other games other than Everquest. It feels like a friend has passed strangely and the only reason I can think of is because of the impact EQ had in my early life. I played EQ from 1999 - 2001, being in my teens, totally immersed and still to this day regard this as one of best times of my life.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raclen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
RoZ is trying to recreate something similar to red. Even though beta and may change the exp rate is slower than red99 right now. There isn't much custom stuff on the server outside of things like resists, pvp item loot rules, anti plug, 20 min lockout from raid zone on pvp death unless rezzed to avoid bind rushing, etc. and it is aimed to recreate the scenarios you describe.

But Broo the point isn't balance. The point is strategic imbalance, and more importantly just living Norrath life warily.

SF4 and SF5 pretty good balance, all shooter...those are pretty much fair fights.

EQ is about making sure that a fight is fair...in your favor.

I dunno.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:59 PM
Fire Giant

Brad was the driving force behind alternate ruleset servers, including the red ones. He said he wanted them to be a reality on Pantheon too. Actually Vanguard had them too both FFA and Team servers.

Its because of him we had them. RIP
Old 11-20-2019, 07:25 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palemoon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Brad was the driving force behind alternate ruleset servers, including the red ones. He said he wanted them to be a reality on Pantheon too. Actually Vanguard had them too both FFA and Team servers.

Its because of him we had them. RIP
Amazing, Brad was one of us.
Let's see what those bluebies on the Pantheon dev team manage to do now that Brad is gone.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:26 PM
Sarnak

Gaming will miss people like him.

Provided many years of fun. Very appreciated.
Closed Thread