Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 10:18 PM
Sarnak

Default I thought I would like vanilla EQ but I was wrong

I didn't discover EQ until October 2000 so Kunark was out and Velious was just two months away from release. I didn't discover Project 99 until 2018 so Kunark and Velious were part of the Blue server when I joined. So in short I have never really known game play without at least Kunark zones being available.

I thought I was going to love doing the original timeline but man I think this sucks without Kunark. It's fine for grouping when you can get a group. But soloing has caused me some issues and I prefer soloing the Druid so I can get things done around the house on my med breaks.

I had no issues soloing from 1-22. I did my normal route of Gfay 1-5, BB 5-14, oasis 14-22. It was a good flow as I was only limited by my mana pool. Finding mobs to pull was not hard.

22-29 I spent in EK. I think I did 22-25 killing griffins and wolves and pulls were pretty easy to find. 25-29 I killed crag spiders. They were heavily camped during prime time so pulls were not as easy. I could kill two per mana bar but often I was only killing one because of no spiders being up. I would basically camp one spider and sit at it's spawn point waiting for 6 minutes till it re-popped. This was not ideal but I could live with it.

I did 29-31 I did with a mix of FP groups in unrest and the stables in SK. But now at 31 I hit a friggin wall! The stables had greened out because every time I killed a blue a green would replace it. After I was there for a few hours I would green out all the stables. That meant if I stayed I would have to waste time killing greens that give no XP in order to hopefully pop more blues kind of like place holders. No thanks!

So I moved to the Aviak tree. Like the Crag Spiders the tree is heavily camped during prime time. But unlike the spiders I can't just sit and camp a single mob at it's spawn point because I have at least a 60% chance that what will pop is a no XP green. So I just do my best to find a roaming mob that gives me some XP. There are times it takes me 10 minutes of running around to get a pull. That's BS.

This is why zones like LoiO, OT, FM and Dreadlands were so awesome for soloers. You could not run out of mobs. You're biggest worry was adds because there was so many! Man I wish I had the will power to not play until kunark comes out next fall but I know I don't.

I'm struggling to find places to hunt where mobs are available and not over camped by other soloers or part of a group camp and off limits to soloers. I'm just spoiled with always hunting Kunark zones over the years. I am only used to being limited by my mana pool and med times. I am not used to struggling to even find a mob to kill.

I'll probably tough it out in SK till 34. I have no idea where to go after that.
Gavallin Wood Elf Ranger lvl 23 (blue)
Jardahni Human Monk lvl 2 (green)
Old 12-30-2019, 10:20 PM
Banned

class might not be for you man. didnt you quit als because you didnt get potg like 3 minutes after you hit 60?
Old 12-31-2019, 12:34 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtMacklinFBI [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
class might not be for you man. didnt you quit als because you didnt get potg like 3 minutes after you hit 60?
No I love the class. It's my favorite with Cleric being a close second. Besides not finding mobs to hunt is not a class issue as all classes can be affected by lack of mobs equally.

As for ALS the situation was a bit more detailed than that. There were two people in ALS, and I won't say who they are because it's not relevant, had sent me tells as early as level 55 saying they had a copy of PotG to sell me as soon as I ding 60. I had been playing crazy long hours and was flying through the 50's at this point. So we hit a 3 day holiday XP bonus weekend and I went crazy in the polar bear pits holding the upper camp for 13 hours each of the three days. So by the end of the day Monday I was lvl 59 and a full gold into that level.

I think I dinged 60 that following Friday night. During the week one of the two who said they were holding me a copy told me to tell them when I ding so we can meet up. So I ding Friday and I sent a tell. He told me he no longer had the spell. I said "ok, NP man" and I left it at that. I sent a tell to the second person and they too had sold the spell. I asked if anyone in the guild or maybe a guild bank had the spell in it and no one had a copy.

This only mattered because I wanted to max out my XP bar in level 60 and it would be nice to have PotG so I can med faster for that one last level. I never had a problem with the no twinking rule, no PL rule, no buying gear outside of guild rule. But I always thought that spells should be an exception. So I had to make a decision. Live without PotG for an unknown period of time (could be a day, a week, a month, who knows) OR I could leave the guild buy a copy in the EC tunnel and move on to another guild.

I choose the latter. I left a very classy I'm leaving, here is why and I'll miss you guys post on the discord and that was that. But I never talked bad about ALS either here or in the game.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:44 AM
Sarnak

Yeah I hear you. Try being a Ranger. LFG for days. Soloing sucks. Everyone has their clicks or would rather solo. Kunark seems to open up the game ten fold. I may try a few other classes out, otherwise just shelving the ranger til Kunark.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:04 AM
Sarnak

[QUOTE=kaluppo;3059136]But I always thought that spells should be an exception.QUOTE]

Leh sigh... WTB VOG lmfao

Gabronth
15 Human Paladin
Old 12-31-2019, 01:12 AM
Sarnak

[QUOTE=Hibbs;3059147]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaluppo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But I always thought that spells should be an exception.QUOTE]

Leh sigh... WTB VOG lmfao
Am I missing something? I don't get joke that you are laughing at.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:15 AM
Sarnak

[QUOTE=kaluppo;3059152]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibbs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Am I missing something? I don't get joke that you are laughing at.
I've been in ALS for like 4 years and sadly am still missing VoG

Gabronth
15 Human Paladin
Old 12-31-2019, 01:16 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah I hear you. Try being a Ranger. LFG for days. Soloing sucks. Everyone has their clicks or would rather solo. Kunark seems to open up the game ten fold. I may try a few other classes out, otherwise just shelving the ranger til Kunark.
Yikes. I hear ya on the Ranger. I played on on live and on Blue but definitely not on green or teal. The XP penalty not only sucks for the player but some groups won't want a hybrid because they say it'll take XP from them. Hard to solo or get a group. They only hybrid I might play is a SK. They cal solo ok and groups tend to get desperate for a tank so they probably get group invites easier than a ranger.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:18 AM
Sarnak

[QUOTE=Hibbs;3059155]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaluppo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I've been in ALS for like 4 years and sadly am still missing VoG
Holy crap! Man that sucks. I get the joke now, LOL.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:19 AM
Aviak

The ALS concept is kinda neat, but I don't understand the mental gymnastics of it being ok to get carried through raid content by allied guilds who don't follow the ALS purity rules, but it not being ok to buy a class-defining spell from someone in one of those allied guilds.
Closed Thread