Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 04:06 PM
Planar Protector

Default Outward

Anyone play this game? Its on sale on steam atm and I'm contemplating buying it. It seems to have some hardcore elements about it that seem very similar to EQ but with a modern survival game twist. It really looks like it could be good.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 11-28-2019, 06:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone play this game? Its on sale on steam atm and I'm contemplating buying it. It seems to have some hardcore elements about it that seem very similar to EQ but with a modern survival game twist. It really looks like it could be good.
Did you buy it? Share your experience with us? I love reading the forums as I am afk a lot ingame medding, share with us!

Been a while since I played anything else but EQ and before that was on my umpteenth playthrough of skyrim/morrowind/starbound hehe
----------------------------------
[center]
Old 11-28-2019, 07:25 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I played this game on PS4 when it first came out. I did one play through solo and 1 play through split screen with a friend which was one of the selling point of the game for me.

The game does have a little of that early EQ feel in that it doesnt hold your hand or make anything easy. You get an overall map for the zone you are in but it doesnt tell you where you are. You have to determine that by your surroundings. Quests dont show you where you need to go, have to base it on info characters tell you. There is no fast travel or horses so you do a lot of running around, but get a set of run speed gear and its not too bad.

The combat is a little like Dark Souls/Bloodborn but not quite as refined. It is fairly difficult at first but once you get the hang of it an learn what certain mobs do, its not too bad.

Death scenarios are random and you can respawn back at at town, in some random cave across the zone, right near where you died, saved by a random traveler or even end up in jail.

The food/drink and climate aspect of the game plays an important role and its something you have to constantly keep up with either through clothing or potions/food.

The graphics arent spectacular compared to most AAA games now days but I am used to EQ, so it didnt bother me. There were a good amount of bugs back when I played but they were doing patches every so often. The story was decent but the production value of automated story/cutscene type of things were bland.

Overall I enjoyed it very much, especially for the original new price of $40. I think on PC they did some additions with new bosses and equipment, maybe even an expansion already, but not sure.

For a game made by 9 guys, I got my moneys worth and hope they make a 2nd.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:00 PM
Fire Giant

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astatine [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

For a game made by 9 guys, I got my moneys worth and hope they make a 2nd.
Nice!

I have decided to look at some playthroughs on youtube ... Looks interesting enough to get for cheap.

Will add to my pc games queue, as I am a r/patientgamer and love to buy games for super cheap.

I usually prefer people on the web reviews than "pro" reviews, they are so fake these days [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[center]
Old 11-30-2019, 07:18 AM
Planar Protector

So I bought this and managed to talk both of my brothers to buy a copy as well. We’re planning on giving it a go together this weekend. I’ll post back here in a few days on what we thought about it.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:55 PM
Fire Giant

3 Playthoughs, once as a pure caster, once as rogue/ranger, once as a melee. Each time did a different faction. Great game. The dynamic weather/seasons and their actual effects in game is super cool. Graphics were great too. Loved the game, just wish there was an expansion!
Bhear Ghrillz - Level 51 Druid - Dial A Port | Oggre - Level 44 Warrior | Revenance Vampirus - Level 40 Necromancer | Mottley Crue - Level 30 Rogue | Renovatio - Level 3 Cleric | Abradolf Lincler - Level 40 Cleric | Drowning - Level 35 Enchanter | Oradan Omnipotent - Level 57 Magician | Chubbz Zilla - Level 40 Monk - Scaled Brotherhood
Old 12-01-2019, 02:40 PM
Sarnak

The best way to describe Outward is that it feels like what a D&D session should be if translated into a video game. Not the rules or concepts mind you, but what actually sitting there with friends and talking about the adventure and actions feels like.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:48 PM
Fire Giant

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawqueue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The best way to describe Outward is that it feels like what a D&D session should be if translated into a video game. Not the rules or concepts mind you, but what actually sitting there with friends and talking about the adventure and actions feels like.
hmm this sold me more into the game! ...

Now I need to wait for some disposable income and a good offer to mix up in the heavens and I will be able to own a legit copy of it for my Steam Library [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Nothing beats the feeling of a good Role Playing session! One of my pet peeves has always been enjoying RPGs with people, specially when I go into stores and run modules with complete strangers.

For a brief moment in time and space, all of us, completely different people, total aliens to each other, can share a very amazing bond of togetherness.

For me that has always been the magic of tabletop roleplaying, love your analogy! Brings back very good memories! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[center]
Old 12-04-2019, 05:12 PM
Planar Protector

We've only had two opportunities to play together and couldn't get us to connect into each others game. We got frustrated and gave up. I think we're going to give it another go this weekend.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:33 AM
Fire Giant

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We've only had two opportunities to play together and couldn't get us to connect into each others game. We got frustrated and gave up. I think we're going to give it another go this weekend.
Was discussing outward with two online friends today, they told me it was an acquired taste ...

Ended up discussing Battle Brothers!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Looove it so muchhh , give it a try if you want to waste little money and a TON of time having fun
[center]
Closed Thread