Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 01:46 PM
Planar Protector

Just checked my character, 174hp:102AC so you are correct.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:03 PM
Planar Protector

Kind of have to take it on a case by case basis. There might be a good argument. Rarely does something have just a ton of AC with no other stats. There are a few high AC and sv magic items in ToV. In that case it may be worth it (Fesh’s Amulet of the Storm, just an example, not advocating for this).

Hps are ideal. Pullers value sv magic. AC is going to come along with the rest but wouldn’t be my goal by itself.
Last edited by Snaggles; 03-15-2021 at 11:10 PM..
Old 03-16-2021, 04:07 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just checked my character, 174hp:102AC so you are correct.
Okay, this was a bit of a joke post about my total hp.ac on the baby sk I was playing.

I took a look at my junk geared 52 monk to see what stats I had picked for my equipment.

125 worn AC
370 worn HP
122 HP from worn STA
53 worn Sv Magic

Looks like I've gone for about 4HP:1AC.

For reference the equipment was based off a set of Crystalline Silk armor, swapping pieces out for epic/whistling fist robe/monk shackles/low tier planar/kael arena gear as I found it.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:15 PM
Fire Giant

If you plan on being hit.. AC is cool - if you plan on being hit by a raid mob while pulling.. its going to hit for max damage anyway (level mitigation) so.. hp.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami21k [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Depends on what your goals are. I know a monk with 1700 ac buffed. He can tank HoT better than my SK. For leveling etc, try to have a good mix of both.
My eyebrows are raised, when does diminishing returns kick in on the AC formula, and specifically, does AC operate differently by class or is it a flat neutral beast that affects all classes equally: 1700 AC wizard would experience the same damage per landed hit as a 1700 AC monk?(again, ignoring riposte/parry/block any skills that prevent damage, or discs).

Also I understand that itemization most likely prevents most classes from hitting AC at those tiers.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:19 AM
Banned

ac is absolutely not the same between classes a 1700 ac wizard will take hits worse than a 1700 ac monk who will take hits worse than a 1700 ac plate tank
Old 03-17-2021, 01:16 PM
Fire Giant

rAC = SoftCap + Shield + [ WornAC - (SoftCap + Shield) ]*OvercapReturn

Overcap Returns:
Warrior: 0.45
SK/Pal/Monk: 0.33
Rang: 0.17
Other: 0.02

*p99 formula likely slightly different but you should get the idea.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
rAC = SoftCap + Shield + [ WornAC - (SoftCap + Shield) ]*OvercapReturn

Overcap Returns:
Warrior: 0.45
SK/Pal/Monk: 0.33
Rang: 0.17
Other: 0.02

*p99 formula likely slightly different but you should get the idea.
Is that from the eqemu code?
Old 03-17-2021, 03:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is that from the eqemu code?
I imagine so. I'd also hope what we use here is nothing like that.

IIRC that code should be from the post SoL / PoP era AC revamps.

Classically AC was hardcapped until VERY late SoV, and after that cap was mitigated at the end of expansion the returns post cap were meant to be minimal.

Something to consider is even if we have perfectly implemented AC, we still may get non-classic results as AC works by being compared to the aggressors attack, and mob attack values are ... 'best guess' to put it nicely.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IIRC that code should be from the post SoL / PoP era AC revamps.

Classically AC was hardcapped until VERY late SoV, and after that cap was mitigated at the end of expansion the returns post cap were meant to be minimal.

Something to consider is even if we have perfectly implemented AC, we still may get non-classic results as AC works by being compared to the aggressors attack, and mob attack values are ... 'best guess' to put it nicely.
Yea, that makes sense. I remember when AC was completely broken here. It seems better now, but definitely off (generally worse) from how I remember it being on live back in the day.

I'm curious if other's experience differs, but for all the use cases I've encountered here, AC has been good, HP has been king.
Closed Thread