Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:03 AM
Orc

Default Hello! Pre-Kunark (99-02) player returning

Hey everyone. I just wanted to make a short post and say how much fun I've had the past two evenings playing on the blue server. My brain works in mysterious ways and about a week ago, I started thinking about the classic game and did some research on its current status. After getting the game setup, I now know why I enjoyed it show much in my early 20's. It did take me a few hours to get the hang of the UI and game mechanics again, though! I've even gotten my cousin hooked who played through the beginnings of EQ2. The people I've interacted with have been friendly and helpful.

If you see a Halfling Cleric named Drakkhim, say hello! I hope to see you in the game.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:29 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Ya, we must be on the same wavelength...I was thinking about it as well last week and looked it up. I had tried the Daybreak Live very briefly a year or so ago, and was not impressed. after checking into it last week, I happen to see posts about some "Project 1999" thing and researched it...I was floored to see my old beloved game returned the way it should be..so I gladly came back. Its actually better now..cause your not having to "claim" a 3-4 pop "camp" cause the entire zone is so crowded like it was when it first came out. Oh, and I see you live in WV as well!!
Last edited by Kadaru2; 11-01-2017 at 11:32 PM..
Old 11-02-2017, 07:52 AM
Orc

I'm surprised that in evenings on the east coast in the USA that there are 1000 people on. The zones I've been in so far aren't nearly as populated as before, but there's always a few people running around. The days of there not being enough large bats for everyone due to the number players is over, although I worry about grouping opportunities for myself who's still at a low level. Even though I played for over three years, the highest level character I had was a 47 Troll Beastlord. Luclin was the last expansion I purchased, as I didn't have any characters that could benefit from Planes of Power. I've actually never done a raid or been to a super high level zone. You could say I was a part-time player back in the day, but I did put some hours in.

It's nice to see someone else from the ol' WV! Please add me in game if you'd like. Take care.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:16 AM
Large Rat

Hi all,

Just registered so am new to this site.

But I'm not new to Everquest. Or at least, I wasn't in 1999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Like the above posts, for some bizarre reason, I just started thinking about EQ again last week. I had a look around and worked out what I needed and now have a copy of the Titanium edition which I'm going to install asap.

It's been a *long* time since I played. My original character was called Vinylblair Valhooligan, a high elf cleric, and I think I stopped playing when he was around level 38. But my memory is worse than it was [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] One thing I do remember is camping for Jboots in Najena. I have mental scars about that [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Basically, I cannot wait to get re-started again, and the first place I'm going (when I'm level 12!) is the Estate of Unrest. I absolutely love that place. If I can find it again.

I have no idea what character to roll, and no idea where I'm going, and no idea what I'm doing, but if you see a character called Vinylblair running around aimlessly, feel free to say hello!
Old 11-10-2017, 05:14 AM
Large Rat

Hi all,

Just registered yesterday after finding out for the first time about P9999. And for some bizarre reason recently, I was hankering after listening to some of the old midi files from vanilla EQ - mainly Greater Faydark (took me a while to remember that place!)

Anyway, after leveling a high elf cleric to around level 38 in 1999, it's now 18 years later and I'm ready to try another character!

Have so many fond memories of EQ, and can't wait to see it all again.

My plan was to roll something in Faydwer, as I *have* to go and see Unrest again [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Anyone else in the UK timezone playing this? I have absolutely zero idea what I'm doing so any help will be greatly appreciated! Whatever I roll, it'll be called Vinylblair after my old cleric, so say hello if you're passing!
Old 11-12-2017, 03:27 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Gotta chime in and keep this thread going. I had played P99 long ago and now that winter is setting in I decided to fire it back up. I am currently playing a lvl 29 ranger named Bloodrain. I can't play too often but feel free to add me to your friends and look me up. I'm down to explore new places and I should have SoW in a couple days! =)
Old 11-12-2017, 07:48 AM
Sarnak

There are always lots of players around gfay and unrest. No need to beg someone to play with you. Just dive in and talk to people in-game. Unless you start as a barbarian in which case beg for a port out of halas on the forums :-p
Old 11-13-2017, 07:03 AM
Large Rat

Haha, thanks for the advice.

Yes, I noticed that at around peak time, there are approx 1000 people on. Encouraging to see people still playing it. I had no idea P9999 was even a thing until I stumbled onto it.

Also, agreed - there are quite a few people online in Gfay.

I've rolled a half elf Druid to begin with, as it starts in Kelethin, which is pretty much the only place I can remember, just to get to grips with it again.

I had forgotten how slow you level too, although I'm not exactly a fast leveler, being new to it all.

Note to self - do not try to run to unrest just 'to look at it again' at level 3. First, you're unlikely to make it, and on the rare attempt you do - you can't even get in! Lesson learned [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Still not sure if I'm going to stay druid, but will see how it goes.

Great to see friendly players both on this forum and in game too.
Closed Thread