Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 11:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm an animal rights activist. I'm familiar with the group who performed this demonstration and interact with their members on a weekly basis. I know the members of this forum are smart people who realize that eating animal parts and secretions is terribly detrimental to our personal health and that animal agriculture is destroying the planet. I mean, you're all well-educated woke folks, so I don't need to explain all this in detail.

That said, I'd like to take this opportunity to ask you all a quick question. I don't personally involve myself in these supermarket funerals because I'm not sure about the efficacy of these sort of demonstrations. I see a couple "lol's" and "wtf's" and frankly that's sort of what I expect. But I wonder, what sort of demonstration do you believe would be helpful in getting you to abandon the comfort of your cognitive dissonance to start making better choices based on facts and logic, rather than defaulting to the social programming with which you've been raised?
Out of context, what the guy in the funeral procession preaches actually doesn't sound crazy to me. I actually can empathize and agree with the sentiment.

The problem is, in the context of it all preaching those words to people who culturally have been indoctrinated to eat meat, and view those bundles of wrapped chickens as the begining and end of all not realizing even what a chicken looks like with feathers that runs around as a living creature etc., it's fruitless.

Especially trying to express the feelings of these little bundles of food that are manufactured for consumption that hardly even resemble an animal at all... The majority of people cannot empathize with it. The ones who might are not going to break rank in the store and join in the protest either, as they would be ridiculed mercilessly as the protesters are.

The only way to convince people that eating meats is bad, is flood them with information regarding WHY it's bad for THEM. Sadly, the majority of people don't give a shit about those chickens. But, they do give a shit about their own lives.

As Cecily said, you can flood their brains with images and stories of how the animals are slaughtered as that can work for the few meat eaters who actually love animals and can empathize with the animals to sway their desire to eat processed meats.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Probably videos of chickens getting electrocuted or cows getting rods punched through their foreheads might be more effective.
I tend to agree. Chickens are actually hung upside on a track which carries them so that their throats are dragged across a long blade. Then they are plunged into boiling water, often still alive, before they can bleed out.

Personally, my activism consists primarily of visiting slaughterhouses and taking pictures of the animals being unloaded from their trucks. It changes people, in my experience. We do this once or twice a week. Anyone in the Denver area is invited to come along and should message me for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The only way to convince people that eating meats is bad, is flood them with information regarding WHY it's bad for THEM.
You might be surprised. I have an insurmountable trove of scary trivia concerning the personal and environmental health impacts of our flesh addiction, but people just pay it no mind. On the other hand, nobody can seem to ignore footage of a pig being anally electrocuted or a cow being hung by their ankle after having their throat slashed. Myself, I'm into non-violent demonstration and I do sort of feel like confronting people unexpectedly with the gory truth about their choices is is a violent action, but it's just so fucking effective sometimes.

I mean, I dare anyone to watch this movie and come back here and rationalize what we as humans are doing to the other species on Earth.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I tend to agree. Chickens are actually hung upside on a track which carries them so that their throats are dragged across a long blade. Then they are plunged into boiling water, often still alive, before they can bleed out.

Personally, my activism consists primarily of visiting slaughterhouses and taking pictures of the animals being unloaded from their trucks. It changes people, in my experience. We do this once or twice a week. Anyone in the Denver area is invited to come along and should message me for more info.

You might be surprised. I have an insurmountable trove of scary trivia concerning the personal and environmental health impacts of our flesh addiction, but people just pay it no mind. On the other hand, nobody can seem to ignore footage of a pig being anally electrocuted or a cow being hung by their ankle after having their throat slashed. Myself, I'm into non-violent demonstration and I do sort of feel like confronting people unexpectedly with the gory truth about their choices is is a violent action, but it's just so fucking effective sometimes.

I mean, I dare anyone to watch this movie and come back here and rationalize what we as humans are doing to the other species on Earth.
I already understand humans are violent and vile creatures. Not only versus animals, but to other humans. My point is, I hate to sound pessimistic, but, that's humans.

When it comes to personal ideologies, it's simply impossible to alter them when they are so ingrained within people.

When it comes to eating meat, you are fighting a pattern of behavior that goes back since the dawn of man. This pattern of behavior is intertwined with culture, religion, and for many a personal enjoyment.

When you top all of that off with the vast amount of money being made off the slaughter of animals for consumption, you are faced with an impossible task if you plan to stop it.

It's like fossil fuel useage. That's not good for the environment, is it? Are you also protesting that?

What about illegal wars pushed by larger countries onto the smaller ones, purely done for the profit of selling arms and/or to "rebuild" the smaller country that is destroyed?

My point is humans are awful creatures and I hate the majority of what we have done to this planet. If I sat and thought on all the evilness humans inflict on this planet I literally would enter a depression I'd never exit from.

I respect your plight and fight for animals, but I feel it's about as effective as having 100 mile an hour winds blowing into your face and trying to spit.

You are riding this train, the tracks have been laid and nothing you do will alter the route you are going.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:28 PM
Kobold

98% of people don't even technically count as conscious as in that everything they do is driven by the most biological and primal drives to satisfy immediate needs, trying to get them too understand hypocrisy or cruelty is equivalent to trying to teach an aboriginal calculus

activism is a spook mates
Old 10-28-2017, 12:38 PM
Banned

I had chicken and fish for lunch, thanks thread.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I already understand humans are violent and vile creatures. Not only versus animals, but to other humans. My point is, I hate to sound pessimistic, but, that's humans.

When it comes to personal ideologies, it's simply impossible to alter them when they are so ingrained within people.

When it comes to eating meat, you are fighting a pattern of behavior that goes back since the dawn of man. This pattern of behavior is intertwined with culture, religion, and for many a personal enjoyment.

When you top all of that off with the vast amount of money being made off the slaughter of animals for consumption, you are faced with an impossible task if you plan to stop it.

It's like fossil fuel useage. That's not good for the environment, is it? Are you also protesting that?

What about illegal wars pushed by larger countries onto the smaller ones, purely done for the profit of selling arms and/or to "rebuild" the smaller country that is destroyed?

My point is humans are awful creatures and I hate the majority of what we have done to this planet. If I sat and thought on all the evilness humans inflict on this planet I literally would enter a depression I'd never exit from.

I respect your plight and fight for animals, but I feel it's about as effective as having 100 mile an hour winds blowing into your face and trying to spit.

You are riding this train, the tracks have been laid and nothing you do will alter the route you are going.
I hate it when you do that thing where you skip a line after every sentence. Paragraphs, man. Paragraphs!
Old 10-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Planar Protector

I'm sorry some of you guys have had such poor experiences with other humans. I find that many people are willing to listen and learn. I mean, I spent thirty years as an omnivore and then I changed, so I give most people the benefit of the doubt.

And honestly, huge change is already occurring all the time regarding animal rights. The dairy industry is flat out dying. Meat consumption is waning and plant-based replacements are growing in authenticity and therefore popularity among meat-eaters. Lab-grown meat is right around the corner, too, which while still causing cancers and heart disease and diabetes will at least require less suffering on the part of animals and the environment. The fashion industry is moving away from fur. SeaWorld is breathing its last gasps. Veganism is predicted by several business journals to be the mega-trend of 2018. So, change is happening, but like any social movement this is a long, hard road.

But the best people I know are animal rights activists. People who are just fucking on fire, possessed by their need to get involved. I trust that one day soon they'll end these cruel and destructive practices completely.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:47 PM
Kobold

Quote:
I'm sorry some of you guys have had such poor experiences with other humans. I find that many people are willing to listen and learn. I mean, I spent thirty years as an omnivore and then I changed, so I give most people the benefit of the doubt.

And honestly, huge change is already occurring all the time regarding animal rights. The dairy industry is flat out dying. Meat consumption is waning and plant-based replacements are growing in authenticity and therefore popularity among meat-eaters. Lab-grown meat is right around the corner, too, which while still causing cancers and heart disease and diabetes will at least require less suffering on the part of animals and the environment. The fashion industry is moving away from fur. SeaWorld is breathing its last gasps. Veganism is predicted by several business journals to be the mega-trend of 2018. So, change is happening, but like any social movement this is a long, hard road.

But the best people I know are animal rights activists. People who are just fucking on fire, possessed by their need to get involved. I trust that one day soon they'll end these cruel and destructive practices completely.
you're projecting a 2% mentality on the other 98%, pure ignorance tbh fam
Old 10-28-2017, 12:47 PM
Banned

Animals are meant to be consumed. Bring me the sushi asap.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaino [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
you're projecting a 2% mentality on the other 98%, pure ignorance tbh fam
I don't know if your numbers add up. I'm just saying, I actually leave my house and talk to people about this stuff and they're more receptive, particularly in-person, than you'd guess. I admit though, I don't typically participate in a lot of internet "activism" because--believe it or not--people are way more likely to get defensive when you challenge aspects of their identity online, despite the benefit of anonymity. Or maybe because of it. It's fascinating.
Closed Thread