Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 09:45 AM
Sarnak

As others have suggested, once the green server reaches it end of life, have the players transfer to the blue server naked. Thus those that farm the green server for legacy items and other "phat lewt" will have nowhere to go with these items.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes.

Red99 doesn't count, because playing Everquest with a total population of 20 inbred drug addict virgins, is not classic.

Classic is playing Everquest with a ton of people, like on Blue.

(But everything in my OP actually applies to Red).
This aint RnF
Old 05-06-2019, 04:04 PM
Kobold

So what you're saying is delete blue? Or perhaps the less extreme 'give recycled greens their own server'? I don't agree or disagree because I don't care about blue or post-green, but since they will be totally irrelevant after a new green comes out it feels like a 'may as well' kind of scenario. Whether they merge it with blue or make a compost pile to dump postmortem greens into is irrelevant since only the sweatiest nerdlords will play those servers until they realize EQ with 5 people isn't EQ. Or fun. Why should Rogean or anyone else care about the 30 people who play red? The 30 people who will play blue after green launches? Trust? In what? You were given exactly what they promised.

Any trust you feel is completely one-sided and totally fictional. They have no obligations and there are tons of people who feel burned by p99 in one way or the other. Hell in one of these green threads someone was saying ex-guides stole their accounts and sold them.

All of these threads and posts talking about how green is just a passing fancy, about trust, about legacy items.. you're all just people desperate to keep your pixels that no one who has ever lived, is living or will live cares about. You're going to lose those pixels one way or the other, so if you're here playing P99 because you love EQ then you have the chance to relive the game you love.. or accept the death of your characters and move along.
Last edited by Keza; 05-06-2019 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: Sprelling
Old 05-06-2019, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

I think there's two issues here: Green being a "farming ground for Blue", and camps being dominated by groups.

The fact that many players will play on Green and do certain camps not because they want to play on Green, but because they want to farm items for Blue, is going to put a huge amount of pressure on those camps. But ultimately I don't think that pressure is the root problem: I think the rules are. It's just that when you put those rules under that pressure they reach their breaking point.

I believe the core problem is that any group of people on P99 can lock down a camp and not break a rule. Already the server rules prevent this for individual players. As long as the item they are camping is LORE (which I believe all the legacy items in question are), they are forced to move on to another camp once they acquire it.

That's a great rule: it ensures that no matter how much of a loser any one player is, every other player on the server gets a fair chance to either get in line or FTE race the mob after that first player finishes. But as soon as two or more players team up, all sanity goes out the window and that group can lock down a camp in perpetuity, in theory for the three-year or so life of the server. In fact, at that point the rules actually support/encourage such practices (if a player gets fed up with a group locking down a camp for weeks and tries to take it, they will get in trouble for KSing).

That's the core problem: no one, not even a motivated group of players, should be able to lock any camp on any server down for an extended period of time. Any real solution has to prevent that scenario ... but it also has to work for our 100% volunteer team of staff members, who don't have infinite time to track every person at every camp.

I don't know what the solution is, but I will say that one peice of it may be technological: the staff may need the dev team (or a volunteer from the player base like myself) to make a tool for them that can make tracking camp monopolizers easier.

However, no matter what tool Nilbog or anyone creates, it will only be part of the solution, and a total solution has to add some rule which solves the problem while also being viable for our all-volunteer support team. So let's get creative people! Can anyone use their imagination to dream up an easy-to-implement rule that prevents groups from locking a camp, without otherwise disrupting the game?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

TLDR;
Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can anyone use their imagination to dream up an easy-to-implement rule[, that's viable for our all-volunteer support team,] that prevents groups from locking a camp, without otherwise disrupting the game?

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

Its a problem that's as old as the game though loramin, there isn't some easy to implement and enforce rule you can come up with to stop human nature. This stuff comes along with open world non-instanced content.

There's already been so many attempts to fix such behavior around raid content, and it just resulted in more and more rule minutiae that starts to feel more ridiculous than the problem behavior you're trying to curb.

The best way to combat any of this is in coding, which none of us expect to happen in the name of classic and that's fine if that's their priority for this project. We've already seen the best suggestions over and over, retroactively nerf the items to not drop from day one, or make them no drop, and/or state clearly from pre-launch that accounts will not move from green to blue ever. That last one is probably our best and most realistic hope right now to address this issue given our expectations about their intentions for the server's classic aspirations.
Last edited by Fammaden; 05-06-2019 at 04:37 PM..
Old 05-06-2019, 04:59 PM
Planar Protector

Actually, moving characters naked could be a good compromise. This way, the time spent playing Green isn't completely lost as the characters will continue to live on Blue, but without disrupting its economy.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually, moving characters naked could be a good compromise. This way, the time spent playing Green isn't completely lost as the characters will continue to live on Blue, but without disrupting its economy.
So destroy green economy as it might marginally impact blues. Makes sense.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
TLDR;
Not classic.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:42 PM
Planar Protector

You arent special because you killed a lvl 30 mob 10 years before anyone else played. Sorry.
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Closed Thread