Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 06:27 PM
Large Rat

Default Advice for newish player grouping class choice

My history: Played on live from Vellious to DoN as a Wizard, raided high end sock in hand. Of course to no shock to you all i spent nearly all my levels to 60 quading variours things CS, raptors in TD even now almost 20 later i still remember all those long grinds. Anyway, Those days are long gone now with work family i have maybe 10 hours a week to play max.

2 years ago got on here for a month or two aoe zerged a bard to 55 until my wrist gave out and quit. The huge trains were fun to destroy and very little grind but didnt really like the bard ands its basically nude anyway.

Options:
Enchanter its 18 i enjoy it but 18 is just starting out, i would also have interest in cleric or rog with the aim of mostly grouping to 60 given ive never really grouped in classic at all. My question in general of enchanter vs rog vs cleric which would be easiest to group in fastest time and or cost to twink to be effective to at least mid 50s
Old 03-11-2019, 08:08 PM
Planar Protector

cleric = enchanter >>>> rog
Old 03-11-2019, 11:14 PM
Fire Giant

enchanter: dont need gears and still can solo/duo xp or farm cash
Old 03-12-2019, 12:44 AM
Aviak

Go Cleric if you want to be in groups and raids, but takes a while to level up in the early levels (1-20) and also from around 40ish, it's tough if you do not consistently find a group to be with (killing stuff alone just becomes way too slow)

Enchanter is amazing to solo with, necro too, perhaps the necro is easier/better solo class, due to its healing abilities and FD, but they don't often get invited to groups (and why should they). I would also consider a Mage here as a fantastic solo class, but.. most people don't really see the awesomeness a mage brings to a group.

On p99 you'll find groups easilly up to around level 45is (usually City of Mist), and then that ends. People start pull back and prefer to duo, especially in their 50s.

Once you're out of City of Mist, the only two spots where PuG's happen are Karnor's Castle and Sebilis, both will get you a group fast, but the exp is really really bad in both places (well, maybe not disco camp in Sebilis)

- most people don't want to go do the Hole (amazing exp), and tower of frozen shadow is also seriously underutilized by random groups. Chardok used to be empty for exp, however after the revamp, that probably changed - great exp in Chardok.

It gets annoying at times, you'll see 2 people hacking slowly away in a camp, and not get an invitation to join them. So:

Enchanter / Necro / Mage : Will let you stay busy 1-60, regardless of groups or not, but not as great in Raids, since spells don't land much, you'll be reduce to a utility class.

Cleric: In high demand, always busy on raids, but some level ranges take long just because you're LFG a lot.

Rogue: Would be my last choice, since "all" you bring to the table is dps, and you depend on backstabbing to be amazing, can't duo well with many classes (unless it's a tanking cleric)
Old 03-12-2019, 12:51 AM
Planar Protector

For a grouping character, all three of those choices are great. Strongest healer and CC there and rogues are always wanted in groups.