Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 01:08 PM
Orc

Default wizard research

I a level 27 wizard.My research is level 45. I am still missing spells from level 24 and soon enough
, 29 too. I port around to various merchants searching for runes, I have a bunch, Just very few that bring my skill up. Any wizards have any suggestions to help my research?
Old 02-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Just ask a friendly wizard to combine spells for you. If you try to combine your own they are not trivial at the levels you need them and will often fail. The only research spells you should bother with now are Circle of Force (34) and Ice Comet at 49. Every other one is useless. I found it easier just to dump trainer points into research at 49 and get a decent number of rune of astral and rune of frost and just spam attempts (since ice comet scroll is no drop.) Those runes arent that hard to come by in EC, and if you hang out in chardok at entrance you can probably get a bunch for cheap or free from people looting the corpses.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Planar Protector

Dump all your skill points into research, what else are you going to use them for?

Blue
Tofusin - 60 Monk <BDA>
Shiroe - 60 Enchanter
Manowarr - 60 Druid
Old 02-17-2014, 01:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man0warr [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dump all your skill points into research, what else are you going to use them for?
^ This. It can cost you quite a bit in plat to max, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik
hang out in chardok at entrance you can probably get a bunch for cheap or free from people looting the corpses
I think most people let these rot. I used to save them pre-Kunark, but eventually it seemed like a waste of my time and bankspace. The Planes are another good source of high end runes.
Last edited by Raavak; 02-17-2014 at 01:30 PM..
Old 02-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raavak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
^ This. It can cost you quite a bit in plat to max, too.
The cost in plat to max out research is far less than if you take into account the time to acquire all the practice research runes and such. Plus you don't have to max research, just get it up to 150ish maybe? In theory you don't have to put any points into research, since there is always a 5% chance of success regardless of skill (I think?) and if you can get a hold of a few runes you can get ice comet. Or you can just skip ice comet if you don't want to spend money on research.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:42 PM
Orc

Thanks for all the advice folks!
Old 02-18-2014, 02:41 AM
Planar Protector

IIRC, it takes around 2k plat to skill up research into the mid 180s at the trainer.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Orc

You can always PM me here - my research is 184 on the wizard. Have lots of runes too if you need any.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Fire Giant

When I started I was having fun searching around for components. Gave me something to do. Eventually got so tedious and realized buying skill points is 1000x easier as people said. And probably cheaper than everything you'll end up paying for components. 2k sounds like a lot but remember its spread out between many levels, and probably even less than that because you only really need like 150-160.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IIRC, it takes around 2k plat to skill up research into the mid 180s at the trainer.

rite of passage
Closed Thread