Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 05:47 AM
Planar Protector

This is a side line point to the main discussion, but if you are going to be tanking in places where there are a lot of shaman NPCs, especially while grouping, you may want to consider having an agility of circa 130.

Doing so will allow you to mitigate the worse effects of debuffs such as incapacitate, which can be rather brutal to your avoidance.

In these situations you'll also want to keep your strength a decent amount higher than your weight; when encumbered incapacitate will essentially double drop your agility; greatly hindering your movement and avoidance.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:19 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

You'd have to show me tons of parses from Velious raids at both max AGI and base AGI to convince me that AGI has 0 effect on avoidance.

The server code for TAKP and EQEmu says avoidance AC is:

(DefenseSkill * 400 / 225) + (8000 * (Agility - 40) / 36000)

It further applies to Mitigation AC:

(DefenseSkill / 3) + (WornAC * 4 / 3) + (if Agility > 75 then Agility / 20 else 0)

The only factor up for question on this is the To-Hit chance of a boss, which obviously will change from boss to boss in this game.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:56 AM
Planar Protector

I would allocate to dex so you can proc easier for all those times your char isnt fully raid buffed and for levelling
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:58 PM
Planar Protector

For players (not npcs to include pets) it is very safe to assume that any benefit to higher agility is so tiny that beyond 75 it’s not worth focusing on. Stamina/dex/resists/hp/ac - that’s where the focus should be. We have enough important crap to work on raising that agility is frankly ignorable. Regarding the buff? With limited buff space it’s generally not worth it unless there are no aoes, dispels, etc and you have tons of buff space to spare.

Now for npcs (to include pets). That’s a completely different story. Being npcs, pets do not have ac hard or softcaps. If a pet is going to tank, agility, direct ac buffs and the like have a direct linear impact on their performance.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 12-25-2018, 06:52 AM
Planar Protector

Come on Troxx break out the parses.

Classically any pet engaged against a NPC uses PC vs NPC rules so I doubt the veracity of greater gain by pets.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:52 PM
Planar Protector

Pets have always followed npc rules. They get 1:1 returns on ac buffs or gear ac they are given. It’s was always this way on live and it’s a big reason why pets eventually ended up so brokenly overpowered in expansions just before and for a few after house of Thule expansion. With mage summoned gear and relevant pet defensive aa’s pets had an insane defensive DI spread — much better than any player character could hope to achieve even with the best raid gear.

The reason why? They behave like npcs - no diminishing returns.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 12-25-2018, 01:54 PM
Planar Protector

That could have been the result of something silly as simply not parsing buffs with and without using discs. Among other things like well the fact that when Luclin shipped almost the entire original team had by then poofed. Doesn't surprise me that when handed an already overly complicated and finicky pile of code that had just been revamped in huge ways(AA's for one) that the lack of institutional 'vision' would cause once bugs now to become features. Features to bugs.

That doesn't really get into stuff like shit look at this
https://i.imgur.com/I7gap6A.jpg
OK we have base AC but who is to say there is not an ExtraAC, ExtraDefense. Gonna go with my gut and trust a druid on this. Yuck.
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40543

Anyways agility going from 75 to 255 seems to be without running a stupidly long parse 2.5-4% more misses. Is that worth it? Considering what some will do for item upgrades of similar marginal value then yeah why the heck not?
Last edited by Pringles; 12-25-2018 at 01:58 PM..
Old 12-25-2018, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

Getting 255 Str/Stam/Dex requires lots of buffs and lots of very high end dragon loot, I doubt its worth gimping your entire leveling career just so you can have more of a worthless stat when you are at the mountain top.

You are also not going to have raid buffs 100% of the time
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Last edited by Bardp1999; 12-25-2018 at 05:41 PM..
Old 12-25-2018, 06:53 PM
Planar Protector

Well if we are truly gonna backpedal to the OP then it's an ogre. All of that shit is gonna be maxed trivially on a warr ya nut. I am not advocating you go out of your way to do something silly like prioritize agility over AC. It is pretty nice with that there avoidance and it getting upped as much as any RPG allows is real chill.
Last edited by Pringles; 12-25-2018 at 06:56 PM..
Old 12-26-2018, 06:25 AM
Planar Protector

Yea I didn't really take being an Ogre into consideration I guess. My DE SK has extremely good raid gear and is not capped out w/o buffs, but there is nearly 160 point discrepancy between Ogre and DE in Str/Stam from jump street. No regerts though.
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Closed Thread