Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 09:41 AM
Aviak

Yeah I guess its really personal preference since higher levels doesnt really matter what you are. I was just thinking race when starting new character, assuming no armor or money.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Sarnak

Let me preface this by saying I have no issue with people rolling a race because they like it, and that race choice will rarely if ever lock you out from completing content that a different race could have. I played a human monk and a wood elf warrior back in the day and did perfectly fine, but I did accept the fact that there are disadvantages instead of stubbornly arguing that "it don't matter at end game" to make myself feel better.

This is such a tired argument... The reality is that having 40-50 more str and 30+ more stam before even equipping gear *IS* an advantage, regardless of how easy it is to cap str. While it is indeed very easy to max str on a low str race, you are wearing str gear to do it. That means you are filling slots with str while the ogre can just focus on stam/hp/resists and pull even further ahead on stam/hp than they were already. Sure, top end velious raid gear changes this to a large degree by putting all the stats you want on the same piece of armor, but honestly how many people are going to be decked out in this equipment?

This whole "well less damage doesn't matter to a tank" or "well 300hp is only 1-2 hits from a raid mob" argument is silly. Why even equip gear, then? Another few hundred HP won't matter, another X won't matter... right up until it matters. That's why we strive to upgrade our stats in the first place, and why getting geared up makes content easier.

The frontal stun immune or regen is just gravy on top of the stat advantage.

Anyway, bravo zulu to the OP for choosing a race based on personal preference rather than just min/maxing stats. There are all too many min/maxers like myself around here.

Life's hard when you're stupid.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:39 AM
Aviak

D'aww, thanks. I planned on never raiding here anyway, and I figured I'd get groups regardless of race. If that gnome cleric can be an asset, so can I, dammit!

I really need to level him though, he has some rawhide and some banded but still sitting halfway through level 1. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Jezhir - Iksar Shadow Knight - Blue
Old 04-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by holsteinrx7 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ogre or you will quit
I'd quit if i rolled ogre.
Jezhir - Iksar Shadow Knight - Blue
Old 04-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zehrikrom [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
D'aww, thanks. I planned on never raiding here anyway, and I figured I'd get groups regardless of race. If that gnome cleric can be an asset, so can I, dammit!

I really need to level him though, he has some rawhide and some banded but still sitting halfway through level 1. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You will definitely get groups regardless of race, and no guilds will turn you down based on race. In fact, you'll probably be more welcome in groups than a SK with a racial penalty on top of the class penalty.

Early levels untwinked are probably my least favorite experience in this game. All the missing, no unique class skills... So boring! At least the XP bar moves fast.

Life's hard when you're stupid.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutsumo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This whole "well less damage doesn't matter to a tank" or "well 300hp is only 1-2 hits from a raid mob" argument is silly. Why even equip gear, then? Another few hundred HP won't matter, another X won't matter... right up until it matters.
I agree it matters, but with a caveat: It doesn't matter nearly so much as some folks seem to think. This is a class which doesn't typically main-tank raids, particularly not raid bosses, and especially not come Velious. Those few Shadow Knights who tank raid named more than once in a blue moon are the exception, not the rule. If you want to main tank raid bosses with any regularity, make a Warrior. Most the established guilds on P1999 have so many Warriors that they hardly even use their hybrids to tank trash, let alone named.

All races have sufficient stats for group or solo content that they'll do. The bottom line is that I agree the large race stats confer an advantage--and the player should be aware of it (so discussion like this is useful)--but I don't consider it enough of an advantage to justify choosing a race solely on stats. If I picked an Ogre it'd be because I liked Ogres, and I'd consider the stat advantage a nice side bonus.

For what it's worth I mostly wish my Shadow Knight (long since level 60) had better mana regen, and *no* race gets that.

Danth
Old 04-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Planar Protector

Erudite all the way.They win at fashion quest when they are tanks.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All races have sufficient stats for group or solo content that they'll do. The bottom line is that I agree the large race stats confer an advantage--and the player should be aware of it (so discussion like this is useful)--but I don't consider it enough of an advantage to justify choosing a race solely on stats. If I picked an Ogre it'd be because I liked Ogres, and I'd consider the stat advantage a nice side bonus.

Danth
Basically what Danth said. Does it matter, can it matter? Sure. Does it matter enough that someone should base their race on it? An option you will never be able to change. No.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:49 PM
Planar Protector

picked ogre cos of rallos zek and velious....[giant faction for the nuubs]

Lookin forward to dorf killin and dwagon smitin!

Are YOU Cleansed from the chains of digital desire?
Old 04-25-2015, 11:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguejm11 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Basically what Danth said. Does it matter, can it matter? Sure. Does it matter enough that someone should base their race on it? An option you will never be able to change. No.
Well said, but IF and I mean IF AC sort of does work in Velious like it should being able to shedding some Str, Sta gear for more AC would be a big help for Tanks. Probably not game changing but sort of like in a car, you can feel 15 more HP in the seat of your pants lol. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread