Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 12:01 PM
Planar Protector

If this is your first character on this server, consider a class like necro, enchanter or Druid. Paladins are a lot of fun, and not nearly as gear dependent as a warrior, but still gear dependent nonetheless.

Also, being able to solo is a big deal on this server, as I have noticed that the pool of sub 40 players is shrinking. You will of course still be able to find groups, but it's not like how it was when I started 4 years ago here.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:43 PM
Planar Protector

Sorry, but don't buy into this gear dependant thing... You can fulfill your group role with a 100p ec weapon and a set of banded to 30-40...
Old 07-21-2018, 02:56 PM
Planar Protector

Paladins are poorly regarded on P1999 mostly because they're specialized towards a job (group tank) that most players don't care about. Paladins solo only slowly, aren't a critical raid class, and aren't generally great at making money, either. If you like the group tank role well enough to want to dedicate yourself to it then the Paladin gives excellent service, but as a main it's definitely a class for a niche portion of the player base. Since the Paladin is at its best during the leveling portion of the game it also serves well for those players who want a tank-type alt to play around with now and then, especially if said alt is cheaply-equipped.

Danth
Old 07-21-2018, 03:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwing [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sorry, but don't buy into this gear dependant thing... You can fulfill your group role with a 100p ec weapon and a set of banded to 30-40...
Can it be done? Of course! i never discriminate against poorly geared players, most of the time I try to give them upgrades if I have anything, and they aren't ALS. But there are a lot of jerks that would prefer to pass on a Paladin, a poorly geared one at that, in favor of every other class.

Not to mention that casual players tend to not have the time to put together a full group, so solo, or duo is where it's at. A poorly geared paladin is going to suffer greatly as a solo practitioner.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paladins are rather superfluous at level 60 here. [list][*]Alunova overtuned every Velious raid encounter in an attempt to prevent P99's multiple overgeared zerg guilds from wrecking Velious on day one (needless to say, he failed). Knights cannot even rampage tank Vindi here.[*]"Competition" forces everyone to zone pull raid bosses and kite adds, so there is no need for the Knight's traditional trash tanking job[*]In theory something like a HoT crawl should be ideal for Knights, but in practice the mobs there are substantially overtuned as well (most quad when they should only double or triple) and Warriors can use the Bio Orb to generate almost as much hate (proc hate should be capped at 400).
So I've got better gear than other paladins but I've rampage tanked Vindi a lot. I've main tanked Vindi plenty. I've at some point tanked most ToV dragons (notable exceptions Vulak and Vyemm).

Things are over tuned for sure, but I still think in HoT Knights are usually better tanks than warriors if you are trying to burn through mobs.
Some other toons
Formerly of TZ
Old 07-21-2018, 04:04 PM
Large Rat

Paladins got kinda week in velious. More chance of grouping with a cleric.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:58 PM
Planar Protector

Are ___ really bad? You can fill that blank with "rangers, paladins, and shadow knights" on a raid level. If you're min-maxing then the pure classes put them to shame and they are left with a few buffs to add to the raid party mainly.

If you are looking for some means to solo, fun duos, and awesome grind group contribution they are great classes. For a first class your utility spells can make up for not having the best possible gear. For example...at level 45 you can heal for free with a Deepwater helm and they cost about 400p.

For your first class I'd probably go pure caster. If you can grind a necro or enchanter to 50'ish you will have a boat load of money to start the hybrid off right.
Last edited by Snaggles; 07-21-2018 at 06:00 PM..
Old 07-21-2018, 07:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmas [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I TANK
I was remembering this and this. And Skyder getting banned for RMT.

If you have figured out how to make it work since then, more power to you!
Old 07-22-2018, 12:57 AM
Planar Protector

Yep, vindi and harder melee mobs are clearly out of the range of sk/pal... You can rampage at best, but you need to be lucky on the rampage procs...
Old 07-22-2018, 02:59 PM
Sarnak

My first character was a Paladin. I could not stand the idea to invest time in a character I don't want to play to gear up a character I want to play.

Started my journey in Qeynos and hunted many beetles. Then gathered a lot of pelts off rabid animals. Did this till lvl16 or 17. Earned me about 400 plat. Got some hp rings, banded, baton of faith. At lvl15 you are able to split with lull, so I did bandits in WK. Lot all the sashes and earn even moar money and kill any rabid animal that roams by (you have cure disease now so rabies won't bother you anymore). You can kill Scarecrows as well if Bandits are busy. Cleanse the UNDEAD!!!!

After that I journeyed to Mistmore (at lvl22) got to lvl30. By this time you should know if the Paladin is for you since you know have your stun, root, and FoL. A toolset which will make you the best snap aggro tank of them all. You can CC, you can save anyone who ends up getting attention, you will not plague chanters/bards with dots, and you can heal (which is useful for getting heal aggro if adds join the fight or after a stun).

Plenty of dungeons out there (especially kunark) house undead. Unrest, Kaesora, CoM, HS, etc.

If you keep at it and end up raiding you should accept you are a support tank. Control adds till enchanters sort them out, save them when charms break, spot heal DPS and the MT when things tense and you have a raid saving ability called Lay Hands. Meanwhile do as much damage as you can and step up if asked to tank trash.

Today I have some more solo friendly characters for a change of pace but the Paladin is the one I keep returning to. Like others have said Paladin (and cleric for that matter) is a social class. So find a party and inspire them with your righteous wrath and purge Norrath of evil! RAWR! (I even have a druid to act as taxi to get people moving :P ).
Closed Thread