Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 12-06-2023, 08:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This isn't P99 specific but it will give a good idea how live parses work.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Excellent.

As a nit-picking, I tanked Mayong Mistmoore many times in the past and had (files lost long ago … many hard drives ago …) where I never received any DI over 17. I was in content appropriate gear with full ac augments in every slot. I do not recall what my ac was at the time but I was serverwide in 2nd place behind another warrior by a pinch. Granted I was also a warrior and not a shadow knight so that skewed things in my favor vs parses by a shadow knight.

What I do know is that it was. At that time, possible to statistically eliminate any DI over 17 on raid targets and anything over like DI11-12 on hard group content.

It was the equivalent of an “I win” button. Tank swaps were never needed and the damage was smooth and predictable enough that clerics wouldn’t have to pay attention. Spikes were more or less eliminated.

Average dps doesn’t kill tanks. Damage spikes and back to back bad rounds kill tanks. That was true then and remains true for p99. Early on in the debates I was the weirdo … the problem child. Clerics who grouped with me and raids that healed me did take notice that the big heals may hit for less … but only because the damage intake was steady and predictable.

A+ document file! I favorited it on my browser for future reference.

Unfortunately I cannot speak for p99. I would love to gather parses but it would be impossible to do so reliably with current rule set … and p99 on my anecdotal observations seems very different than live was.

Ultimately, I can say that AC is important at any level of the player and across all levels of content. Without the kind of customization that augments allowed, you’re kind of locked in to typical gear progression regardless. With few exceptions (like these earrings) the best choices are obvious and have both high ac and high hp.

Edit: in closing, total hp has always been the dick measuring metric. Personally I’d rather have a tank with 100 more ac than a tank with 300-400 more hp (p99 AoW notwithstanding)
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 12-06-2023 at 08:52 PM..
Old 12-06-2023, 08:54 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don’t know if/when a Reaver will out-damage a SBoZ/BoC combo but one is 6k and the other is like 150k(minimum).

At 60 the Reaver is a 2.85 calculated ratio.
The SboZ in main hand is 1.833 and BoC in offhand is 1.30. Your OH is only going to swing about .75 ratio to the MH so discounting that it’s prob a combined ratio of 2.808.

Outside tanking I’d go Reaver. Triple attack favors 2h. It has svs. You won’t die to enrage flips or damage shields. If you can get good 1hs for dps it’s cheaper to buy a solid 2h, generally.

As mentioned though, I’d join a casual guild that’s active on quakes. Sock some points and spend on a Shovel, Eashen 2h, Vyemm 2h, or Meljeldin. Anything 1.15+ would just wreck.
Thank you for the analysis! This makes it very clear, I'm going Reaver. What I realize now is that, when switching between ToD and DPS weapons in a solo situation, the best part about BoC/SBoZ - the 200 HP - is not in play because it doesn't add to your current health, only to your max.
Last edited by poxxy; 12-06-2023 at 08:57 PM..
Old 12-06-2023, 09:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxxy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you for the analysis! This makes it very clear, I'm going Reaver. What I realize now is that, when switching between ToD and DPS weapons in a solo situation, the best part about BoC/SBoZ - the 200 HP - is not in play because it doesn't add to your current health, only to your max.
Yeah at your level - ToD and the best ratio 2 hander you can find. Proc slow then swap over. You’ll do more damage, take fewer ripostes and profit. Depending on what and where you’re fighting a snare weapon might be recommended, but honestly I never needed it. If you choose your zone and mob right, you should be able to finish it off before it might wander into an unfriendly.

Soloing a warrior these days is much easier. Any velious bp gives stellar returns on between fight recovery and you should have enough ac/hp/dps to engage a good mob with 70% health and reliably beat it down.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 12-07-2023, 12:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ss gloves, legs, arms all great if you can swing it.
Torture yourself with scout rolls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Please do not buy SS greaves on a warrior. They're not close to BiS and you can't resell them which makes them a waste of PP.

I recommend Blood Runed Greaves because you can sell them once you're closer to BiS.

I also recommend Iksar Hide Cape over hierophant's cloak if you're close to STA soft cap (205 with shaman buff / 185 if a shaman in your guild has PE hammer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(p99 AoW notwithstanding)
AoW definitely deserves more than a footnote here because it's the only thing that really matters in the conversation. Everything else is pretty much trivial even in OPs current gear. This alone makes AC is irrelevant and HP is king.
Also its pretty hard not to post after you.. not because you have a stimulating(sic), but because you are constantly patrolling RnF and filling it with your spam.
Old 12-07-2023, 12:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
AoW definitely deserves more than a footnote here because it's the only thing that really matters in the conversation. Everything else is pretty much trivial even in OPs current gear. This alone makes AC is irrelevant and HP is king.
The conversation was about soloing specifically for a while, that is why we were discussing AC. I don't think anybody here has tried to claim that AC is better than HP on AoW.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:30 AM
Aviak

For those who raid, how hard is it to buy loot rights to Rekeklo's War Sword? I'm assuming it just rots every time.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:49 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxxy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For those who raid, how hard is it to buy loot rights to Rekeklo's War Sword? I'm assuming it just rots every time.
Riot doesn't really sell LR, consider apping
Old 12-07-2023, 09:54 AM
Sarnak

honestly just get a truncheon of doom, herbalist spade, and reaver and you got all your basis covered... you could probably get all of those just by selling your sboz. those 3 are more than sufficient to grind to 60 on, and will be cheaper and more effective than any loot rights you gonna buy.
Old 12-07-2023, 10:11 AM
Planar Protector

So, on topic, where is a good spot for a warrior approaching 50s to solo?

I have a 47 warrior with iksar chestplate, belt of contention, frostbringer and skean. Greater kobolds are largely xp green now, but sonic bats are still off the menu.

Where to go?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Last edited by Jimjam; 12-07-2023 at 10:13 AM..
Old 12-07-2023, 10:32 AM
Fire Giant

Spirocs in TD are good, relatively chill. Couple spots you can just kill 3-4 every cycle.
I was using a spade/seahorse belt/fungi so you may not be able to kill as many.