Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 08:27 AM
Large Bat

Default Paladin in velious

Hello all,

I just recently started a paladin and really enjoying it. I just want to ask if pallies can be some form of healer in velious? The reason why I ask is because I know they get some decent healing spells and was wondering if theu concentrated on healer stats gear that they might be able to heal? The answer is probably no but I thought I would ask anyway. Thanks!
Last edited by Battik; 10-06-2014 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: wrote kunark in title instead of velious
Old 10-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Fire Giant

Unfortunately not. Their healing spells, despite getting better, are definitely outclassed by any priest (primarily clerics).

Not only that, I believe their mana pools are quite a bit smaller than the priest classes. Paladin's primary duty is to tank, and if there is someone else tanking, off-tank or assist in damage / healing.

I don't think it's uncommon for a paladin to off-heal targets in small group settings, but generally you're going to be focused on absorbing damage. A better heal in this case would be to pull aggro off those who have pulled it from the main tank and absorb the damage instead, as you're much more capable of taking it.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Large Bat

Ok I thought as much. I understand that a proper would be a lot better. I was just wondering that with a lot of WIS/mana items would a pally do well enough to heal a group? If there heals are nowhere near strong enough then I guess the answer is a big no then. Thanks a lot for replying. Appreciate it.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Fire Giant

You will be healing yourself quite a bit but you'll still want a priest for most groups. If you are using Flash of Light and stun for agro nobody will pull agro off of you with a heal. When paladin gets Superior Healing at level 57 you can heal yourself provided you have enough DPS in your crew, but you'll have to be playing with good players and not be a nub youself.

Avoid +wis gear and go primarily for dex and melee stats, mana pool is not important on blue. Star Ruby jewelery adds nice CHA for calming and lulling, which you'll also find yourself doing a bit and its worth swapping in when you have to.

You will be healing your group members often, but you wont be primary healer. Its nice to toss a pal heal on a caster that got beat up a bit or for a heal for a melee just to help the priest a bit. Really though you should be the only person taking damage, the main point of tanking with a Knight is snap agro through spells.
Last edited by Tuljin; 10-06-2014 at 10:47 AM..
Old 10-06-2014, 10:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Unfortunately not. Their healing spells, despite getting better, are definitely outclassed by any priest (primarily clerics).

Not only that, I believe their mana pools are quite a bit smaller than the priest classes. Paladin's primary duty is to tank, and if there is someone else tanking, off-tank or assist in damage / healing.

I don't think it's uncommon for a paladin to off-heal targets in small group settings, but generally you're going to be focused on absorbing damage. A better heal in this case would be to pull aggro off those who have pulled it from the main tank and absorb the damage instead, as you're much more capable of taking it.
paladin mana pool is the same as priest classes .
Old 10-07-2014, 03:09 AM
Large Bat

Ah really?? I never knew that. Many thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:51 AM
Planar Protector

Are you asking if you can play the role of a priest, but using a paladin?

i.e. medding instead of fighting, casting heals and using stuns to interrupt big enemy casts instead of to gain aggro?
Old 10-07-2014, 04:53 AM
Large Bat

Yes that's exactly what I was trying to ask. Is it possible?
Old 10-07-2014, 05:44 AM
Planar Protector

There might be some content you could do, but I doubt you'd be able to do the most cutting edge stuff for your level.

Assuming it is possible, I don't expect you'd actually particularly need to focus on 'healer stats'; unless you are having protracted fights where the size of your mana pool is important, your mana regen will largely be the same regardless of gear as it is based on how much you are able to meditate.

A bit of a wishwashy answer I know. The best thing might be to try creating a few characters, moving them to beta (where boxing is permitted), using the level buff feature and try it out for yourself?
Old 10-07-2014, 05:51 AM
Large Bat

That's a great idea I will try that this weekend. Thank you for the very informative reply.
Closed Thread