Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just want attention really.
Lol, we know.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I was playing, the first thing I did with my bard was make my /stopcasting /cast 1-8 macros. I also set them up on action bar 4(?) and bound those keys to my mmo mouse. I would typically use keys 1-5 on my keyboard and anything beyond that generally is pressed on the side keys of the mouse. Comes in handy to have them all bound though, when you're trying to poor a cocktail and kite/play at the same time.
For AoE damage spells, you may also consider

/stop
/pause x, /cast n
/stop

The advantage is it ensures you don't run around singing damage and get killed by non aggro high level NPCs, the disadvantage is the /pause/stop combo can break your rhythm if you get a skipped note.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:38 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For AoE damage spells, you may also consider

/stop
/pause x, /cast n
/stop

The advantage is it ensures you don't run around singing damage and get killed by non aggro high level NPCs, the disadvantage is the /pause/stop combo can break your rhythm if you get a skipped note.
I created macros like this.

/stopcast
/cast 1

This seemed to run songs really smooth making it so then I only had to tap each song once. I didn't add a pause in, is it really needed?

I decided I can't play bard the class is too busy on the fingers/wrist and I rather not contract carpal tunnel's syndrome. Even when simplifying the twisting, macros are a huge help - it's just too much for me.

I only add to this thread in case someone makes or has a bard and can use the tips given here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden View Post
Wow, someone actually got it right. Lhancelot gets a gold star. They are 100% set by players even though we will enforce the way Lhancelot stated above.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:17 PM
Planar Protector

/stop
/cast 1

stops any song you are singing

starts a new song

It's a great way to have a bunch of hotkeys to conveniently weave together. What I suggested was different, and really specific for AoE aggro so you don't upset otherwise neutral NPCs (the classic lvl 2 AoE DoT on city guards example).

/stop
/pause n cast 1
/stop

stops any song you might be singing
starts casting a (damage) song
stops the song again after the stated time

What this does is let you do one pulse of the AoE then automatically stop it, ergo ensuring you don't leave it on while running to the vendors/guards.

Does that make more sense?
Old 01-23-2018, 05:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
/stop
/cast 1

stops any song you are singing

starts a new song

It's a great way to have a bunch of hotkeys to conveniently weave together. What I suggested was different, and really specific for AoE aggro so you don't upset otherwise neutral NPCs (the classic lvl 2 AoE DoT on city guards example).

/stop
/pause n cast 1
/stop

stops any song you might be singing
starts casting a (damage) song
stops the song again after the stated time

What this does is let you do one pulse of the AoE then automatically stop it, ergo ensuring you don't leave it on while running to the vendors/guards.

Does that make more sense?
Yes. Makes sense good tip thank you Jimjam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden View Post
Wow, someone actually got it right. Lhancelot gets a gold star. They are 100% set by players even though we will enforce the way Lhancelot stated above.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:28 AM
Planar Protector

Great, if that makes sense to you, hopefully it makes sense to any young, up and coming bards of the future too!
Old 02-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Fire Giant

I’m a subscriber to the melee bard in group, depending on the situation. Switch in your instrument in for the particular song. With decent weapons/haste, you might not do good damage, but it adds up. If your in a caster heavy group, strict mana songs makes sense. If you play your class well, you’ll be too busy pulling/charming/CCing/buffing to be too concerned with instrument vs melee. I switch my style depending on the group.

I’ve also had my epic for so long, I barely recall my adventures before it. But, I’ve always enjoyed meleeing when it made sense, which was usually in more melee heavy groups. The breath of Harmony clicks for 5 songs was always fun for vanity purposes too.

Love the bard play style, it’s always been my favorite. Enjoy the ride!
Old 02-06-2018, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

Bard melee dps is trash. Take it from a 60 bard but with non-NTOV weapons you're looking at 10-16dps fully buffed with enchanter haste. It's just not worth it 99% of the time when grouping. With epic and NToV weapons + 41% haste you're looking at a cap of ~40dps (high end estimate). A 50+ warrior with reasonable (buyable) gear will still beat that by 20-30%. Point is, from level 50 onward the best benefit you can give the group is by not meleeing. That sucks, but it's the truth. 50+ the best bards never equip weapons unless in that exceptional group that didn't need all the other perks bards bring to the table. 50+ the best bards never equip weapons. If the group composition favors your melee contribution ... that's a group that never needed you and would be better without ya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

TLDR: bard melee dps is ass. If you your dps 'helps' they didn't need you as a bard to begin with. For all others, put the weapons away and contribute.

PS: Bard melee dps sucks. It blows. If you want to maximize your personal dps it involves dropping group songs for dots. If you find yourself doing that for your group - your group was better off without you.

PPS: use your instruments.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 02-06-2018, 01:58 PM
Planar Protector

Or be pro OCD and melee while swapping weaps at cast time =D
Old 02-06-2018, 03:10 PM
Aviak

I'm not clear on what you're trying to say, Troxx ;>

Let's post a hypothetical or two:

Scenario 1:

You're a 60 bard with epic in a melee heavy group; you have a 21 lute and a 23 horn. You can melee or instrument, and in the group you're in, you're twisting Cantana, Niv's Melody of Preservation, McVaxius Rousing Rondo (MRR), and Psalm of Warmth. For the sake of argument, you have a chanter who is doing the cc, so no worries about that.

With the appropriate instruments swapped in you're, providing 44 points of regen for everyone, str buff of 44 points, about 82 attack, 31 points of damage shield, 70 CR, 6 AC, and mana regen of 12.

With epic, you're providing 37 regen, str buff of 37 points, 64 attack, 27 points of DS, while the CR, AC, and mana regen remain the same. Your dps is about 18.

Double check my math, but it looks like you're trading 7 health regen (1 hps, roughly), 7 str points, 18 attack points, and 4 points of damage shield for 18 dps. So the question becomes, which of the two is more valuable to the group?

Interested in everyone's thoughts.

Scenario 2:
Raid group, melee types. You're there for resists and buffs, so you twist the appropriate resist songs, MRR, maybe Composition of Erjav. Group's resists are maxed at 255 whether you use epic or instrument. Might as well melee in that scenario, no? Your 18 dps is going towards downing the raid mob that much quicker without much tradeoff.

Again, interested in thoughts, agree or disagree.

Thansk!
Closed Thread