Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 08:33 PM
Orc

Default Paladins in raid/endgame

Hi folks! Never played EQ before, but always wanted to try it out. I've always been drawn towards paladins in mmo and heard that only a few plays them on this server, only adds to the fuel. However I've heard that they kinda sucks in raids. Is this info rubbish or not? I will be content with off tanking. As long as I've a viable role to forfill, I'm happy.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:19 PM
Orc

As a Paladin, you will never be the main tank for a raid mob. At least none come to mind. Honestly, you will more often than not be a spam healer and casting Divine Strength. It's a 200 hp buff that stacks with all other HP buffs so you'll be useful in that regard.
If you are able to get some really good gear on your Pally, you could tank mobs in Halls of Testing and in Plate House.
One good thing about being a Pally is as you've said, there aren't many of them. At least not many raid Paladins. There are some damn good Pally or Hybrid only gear that you can get dirt cheap if you join a DKP guild or may just be given if you are in a guild that randoms items. So that is really cool.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:59 AM
Planar Protector

If you're content with offtanking, you've got yourself a job for life.... SKs/paladins great at that raid role in most locations.

Lay Hands is one of the best things to bring to a raid, it could be argued ^^
Old 12-26-2016, 05:18 AM
Banned

Plane of growth will be the end game encounter you play something of a real role in. Hybrids catch the growth mobs our taggers bring towards camp.
Last edited by Caiu; 12-26-2016 at 05:22 AM..
Old 12-26-2016, 11:16 AM
Orc

Heard that there were actually a lot that a pala could main tank, beside some exceptions. Well if I can get a viable role as an off tank, I'm content. Heard someone on the forum that it would be really effective to use 15 points into wisdom and the rest in Dex. Is that true?
Old 12-26-2016, 01:27 PM
Orc

And btw: is there any key bindings I should know of? And do you have tips for a completely nooby player both in general and class wise (paladin ofc).
Old 12-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Planar Protector

To give you an idea of just how good defensive disc is, my sperglord calculator suggests that to tank Derakor the Vindicator:
  • BIS Warrior with Defensive: 6.5s chain
  • HOT geared Warrior with Defensive: 5s CH chain
  • BIS Paladin: 3s CH chain
  • HOT geared Warrior without defensive: 2.5s CH chain
  • HOT geared Paladin: 2s CH chain
So you can see that defensive warriors simply crush Paladins for pure beefiness, and Paladins' superior snap aggro is completely pointless when Warriors can have 40 aggro spell charges stored on Puppet Strings, Midnight Mallets, Bladestoppers, and Prayers of Life and recharge them for 100p a click or less.

I think raid geared paladins can tank slowable NTOV dragons, but in practice no one does this and as a Paladin you'll probably face an uphill battle just to tank wurms in the Halls of Testing. Also, contrary to Swish there is no such thing as offtanking unless you are talking Hate or Arena trash that a Shaman or Ranger can handle easily.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Heard that there were actually a lot that a pala could main tank, beside some exceptions. Well if I can get a viable role as an off tank, I'm content. Heard someone on the forum that it would be really effective to use 15 points into wisdom and the rest in Dex. Is that true?
If this really is your first ever EQ toon, there may be some QoL options for stat allocation that you haven't considered. What race you going to play?
Old 12-26-2016, 03:08 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If this really is your first ever EQ toon, there may be some QoL options for stat allocation that you haven't considered. What race you going to play?
Dwarf!!
Old 12-26-2016, 03:13 PM
Orc

So what you're saying Raey, is that paladins are more or less useless in raids... damn ... then I might wanna just do a high elf Enchanter, and make my buddy play warrior.

I'm gonna assemble like 5-6 dudes that I play with, so I might just gonna do that instead.
Closed Thread