Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 12:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidreams [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know this probably cant be answered but just out of curiosity where do these people sell their plat? and how much could they even make all considered? Im guessing it cant be much given its a private server.
There are sites. If you Google I'm sure you can find them (as can the GMs, which people forget ...)

But as for "it can't be much", you'd guess wrong. It may be a private server, but it's a private server with thousands of players. A tiny fraction of those players (still tens if not hundreds of people) want to spend real life money so they don't have to actually play the game, and those people are definitely willing to spend some non-trivial amounts of cash to do so ...

... just so that they can get banned a month later. The funny thing is, it's only really the buyers who lose out: even after he gets all his accounts banned, and has to make new ones for the umpteenth time, Platlord (or whoever you buy your plat from; he's just the most famous RMTer) is laughing all the way to the bank. Meanwhile the people who gave him money wind up with no characters and no cash.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 06-26-2019 at 12:12 PM..
Old 06-26-2019, 03:06 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidreams [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know this probably cant be answered but just out of curiosity where do these people sell their plat? and how much could they even make all considered? Im guessing it cant be much given its a private server.
On live, for at least the first 4 years of EQ, there were RMTers that played full time and were making anywhere from $20K-80K a year. It was even featured as a news story on 60 Minutes. (Or one of those news shows.) The story segment was something like "Virtual Currency May Not be so Virtual".

So yes, Virginia, there is a cash cow in RMTing.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future."

--Oscar Wilde
Old 06-26-2019, 06:36 PM
Skeleton

If anyone can find a link to the news segment please post it.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:44 PM
Planar Protector

Make mom and dad proud kids you too can play eq 60 hours a week for cash
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri_needs_a_rez [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If anyone can find a link to the news segment please post it.
There have been many, many news articles on this topic, so it would probably be difficult to find any specific one.

But if you just want some nostalgia, here's one from 2002: https://www.newscientist.com/article...-real-economy/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFA
Castronova discovered that Norrath’s gross national product per-capita is $2,266. If Norrath was a country, it would be the 77th most wealthy in the world, just behind Russia.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaezil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Make mom and dad proud kids you too can play eq 60 hours a week for cash
Lazy peon's parents were hating on his career path, too. Now he's traveling the world doing his YouTube channel. Don't let the haters get you down. Follow the dream, not the money.

Nuggie / Celelilly / Zackattacker - not guilded <TAKP>
RETIRED Nuggiemag - <Sodden Seakings> formerly Ironborn

Nuggie - Undead Mage on Old Blanchy (Classic WoW)
RETIRED - Nuggie / Celelilly / Conavar - <Omni> formerly <Vesica Dei> P99
Duggie/Wuggie <Mythic Legends> EQ1-Lanys

On to the Future in Pantheon
Old 06-27-2019, 12:56 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lazy peon's parents were hating on his career path, too. Now he's traveling the world doing his YouTube channel. Don't let the haters get you down. Follow the dream, not the money.
Lazy Peon is also constantly depressed...
Old 06-27-2019, 03:24 PM
Fire Giant

Selling elf slippers on p99 works out to about 3 cents an hour. You're effectively turning yourself into a slave to a fat nerd in pennsylvania. You could at least drive for lyft if you're that desperate for cash
Old 06-27-2019, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We don't deserve you Llandris
Old 06-27-2019, 06:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomacles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On live, for at least the first 4 years of EQ, there were RMTers that played full time and were making anywhere from $20K-80K a year. It was even featured as a news story on 60 Minutes. (Or one of those news shows.) The story segment was something like "Virtual Currency May Not be so Virtual".

So yes, Virginia, there is a cash cow in RMTing.
Dude who taught me EQ on Live lived a whole year only off RMT some time after/during Luclin. Made like a good years salary here in Norway. Lol I remember him waking up at 08am and play to 16pm every day like it was a job. Lots of boxing and macro/showeq etc. fun times!
Closed Thread