Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 05:16 PM
Sarnak

Late 90s and early 00s voice chat wasn't really a thing.

Chicks with dicks was a real problem and the population wasn't savvy enough to be guarded. I don't think that's a real thing anymore, but back then it sure was.

I knew a guy on Rallos Zek - Mirmyran/Inura for anyone who played there - who took it pretty far. Had several EQ-lationships with guys and cybered and all that.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarukShmaruk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Late 90s and early 00s voice chat wasn't really a thing.

Chicks with dicks was a real problem and the population wasn't savvy enough to be guarded. I don't think that's a real thing anymore, but back then it sure was.

I knew a guy on Rallos Zek - Mirmyran/Inura for anyone who played there - who took it pretty far. Had several EQ-lationships with guys and cybered and all that.
I guess that's one way some people got their kicks. I was somewhat insulated from some of the nastier gender politics that went on, usually by the older players in my guild. We were an all-female guild so that occasionally made us something of a target. I remember someone mentioning having an argument about it at some point in game, and lots of other players suspected we were all men playing women. It's really interesting that there were only a few men playing on female toons in the guild. The only one I knew for sure played a troll, naturally. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 07-22-2015, 07:21 PM
Sarnak

I rolled a barbarian. Fell in the water and couldnt get out. Thought the game was so stupid that I didn't play it for a month. Then rerolled a human necromancer and put all my starting points into strength so I could beat up stuff while controlling the undead. At lvl 12 I could only cast my life tap 4 times. Got that guy to lvl 30. Haha.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:22 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess that's one way some people got their kicks. I was somewhat insulated from some of the nastier gender politics that went on, usually by the older players in my guild. We were an all-female guild so that occasionally made us something of a target. I remember someone mentioning having an argument about it at some point in game, and lots of other players suspected we were all men playing women. It's really interesting that there were only a few men playing on female toons in the guild. The only one I knew for sure played a troll, naturally. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I had a friend who played a female high-elf cleric back in 1999. He was the first one out of my friends to hit lvl 50 and get epic. We were all 15 years old at the time. And to say he was the first, I really mean the only. Not only did he surpass us by a long shot (he was 50+ while me and my other friends were high 20s). He also was "good" enough to convince other older males to pay for his Everquest subscription at the time. Had the whole thing down with the "<3", "lulz", "teehee", and "OMGz".
Old 07-22-2015, 07:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancta [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I had a friend who played a female high-elf cleric back in 1999. He was the first one out of my friends to hit lvl 50 and get epic. We were all 15 years old at the time. And to say he was the first, I really mean the only. Not only did he surpass us by a long shot (he was 50+ while me and my other friends were high 20s). He also was "good" enough to convince other older males to pay for his Everquest subscription at the time. Had the whole thing down with the "<3", "lulz", "teehee", and "OMGz".
Lesson learned: Fifteen year old boys are gold diggers.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 07-22-2015, 07:46 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Best lowbie memory: Running from Qeynos to Freeport as a lvl 8 Erudite, at night. The NK bridge was epic but I couldn't appreciate it at the time because I was practically crapping my pants in fear.

Best raid memory: Wiping to Vox and then having to fight our way back in to get corpses. Again, scary as crap, but also memorable.

On a separate note: I'm a dude and I roll female characters on pretty much every game that I play, only because I'd rather look at a female body for hours on end than a male one; not because I'm trying to fake anybody out. Is this frowned upon still?? C'mon, it's 2015!
Old 07-23-2015, 12:16 AM
Fire Giant

Be real though who hasn't acted like they may be a real lady bard for free gear?
Old 07-23-2015, 10:45 AM
Sarnak

My wife played D&D with her college friends for years, until she married me and moved to my home state(we met in an AOL chat room in 1995. Married in '97)
About five years after we were married, she went home to visit her best friend and found out her D&D buddies had all stopped playing D&D and were now playing this online game called Everquest.
So she bought me a copy of the game so I would have something to do on Tuesday nights while she was out at her Curling league. Yes, Curling! My wife throws 42lb stones around for fun.
Anyway, my first character was a Human Warrior in Freeport. I was out in the newbie yard when her friend found me. She took me to the Bazzaar, gave me a full suit of chain mail, a Fine Steel long sword and a Shiny Brass Shield and 50 plat, said, "have fun!" And ran off. I had no idea how to get back to Freeport. Got disgusted and logged off. Two weeks later I decided to start again and made a Human Enchanter, again in Freeport. I had a lot of fun with him until one day I was out in EC at level 8 and someone asked me why, since I was an Enchanter, was i meleeing all my mobs with that cracked staff and where was my pet? I had gotten that enchanter to level 8 with a 1HB weapon, wearing only the cloth armor the Freeport skellies and orc pawns were kind enough to donate, and no spells besides the ones I had at the start!
Old 07-23-2015, 12:17 PM
Planar Protector

human paladin full charisma

memories
Old 07-23-2015, 12:40 PM
Kobold

A buddy of mine convinced me to try it and I remember trying to get my dad to pay the subscription which he didn't really want to do. C'mon dad you can trust Sony. My computer at the time was utter shit and would overheat and turn off after playing for 10 minutes. My only solution was to have a fan blasting into the case the entire time. I think my graphics card was shit too because I could only see shit with races that had at least infravision. I remember making a halfling druid and I asked, okay what am I supposed to do now? Buddy says go kill shit the monsters just fall out of the sky and there's bad ass players everywhere. Okay.. I didn't like it at all but started slowly giving it more chances until I was 100% life ruiningly addicted.
Closed Thread