Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
edit: sorry folks, but AC is still the best game ever made....no contest...EQ is a good enough substitute.
Did you mean vanguard: saga of heroes?
Old 04-17-2019, 02:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DromalPhrenia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That said, it does sound like some things in live have been trivialized - mercs apparently make soloing things far easier and more viable for all classes.
If you're raid geared for that expansion, and actually know your class (which, again, most people don't because they play like it's 2001) you CAN solo with a merc, but don't expect to get any good drops or take on any namers unless you're one of the few solo classes.

So...basically like it used to be, except if you get more people, you don't have to wait on a healer because usually everyone has one.
Quote:
Which is b The little I've read does indicate that modern Live raids are much more complicated than tank swaps and CH chains though.
Vastly.

Strats and cohesion aside, the individual also has to know how to maximize their DPS output, or you just plain won't do enough damage, even if you're doing everything else right.

p99 is more unforgiving in the early game, but actually being a good player on Live is harder in any way you want to talk about, even without getting into things like AA counts and gear.
Old 04-17-2019, 02:49 PM
Kobold

ITT: people that didn't start with p99.

in all honesty OP, you are a rare breed. i can count the amount of players i know that started with p99 on one hand. its disappointing really. most people cant get past the graphics.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumpz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
most people cant get past the graphics.
Every single time I have tried to get someone into EverQuest they can't get past the dated graphics. It's kind of depressing.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:07 PM
Planar Protector

Same experience here as the former two posts, most folks from newer MMOG's that I've introduced to P1999 typically didn't mind the mechanics but couldn't accept the outdated appearance. I can still play Atari VCS games and enjoy 'em for what they are so I guess I'm part of the minority.

Danth
Old 04-17-2019, 06:36 PM
Kobold

These posts about people bouncing off the graphics are real sad [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] EQ definitely isn't the prettiest game but so many of the graphics are full of personality! Games like FFXIV and ESO allow for a ton of pretty princess dress up, but no character in those games has the personality of an Ogre with a goofy face, no monsters are like goblins and their godawful posture and their buttcracks... nothing in those games can make me laugh like a little gnome in a robe with a giant specter ready to fuck you up.

No doubt some of it is nostalgia, maybe even a lot of it, but I think EQ has personality that a lot of MMOS (old and modern) lack. I have friends who decided to check out the classic Anarchy Online server and DAoC server, and I've played both of those games, but holy shit your character is just bad looking. I remember thinking DAoC was cool for having cloaks but man I cannot imagine caring about my character in that game at all.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:44 PM
Sarnak

I started as a wee child in 01 I think.

Missed classic in both unfortunately

Hopefully I'll be ready for Green.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:53 AM
Fire Giant

Never played EQ before p99 now im a scummy elflord who rules these lands
Old 04-18-2019, 01:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played Asheron's Call in the 99-04 era, hopped on the WoW train w/ everyone else in '05 and did vanilla / BC / little bit of wrath.

Took a long break from MMOs due to the way the whole industry was going.

RL buds kept harping on me to try p99. Said fk it, what class do we need?

Almost 3.5 years later I'm still here and loving it.

edit: sorry folks, but AC is still the best game ever made....no contest...EQ is a good enough substitute.
Awesome story! People discovering P99 without ever having played EQ are my favorite type of people.

Out of curiosity, is there a legacy AC project and, if so, why aren't you playing that over EQ? Glad you're enjoying this awesome game either way!
Old 04-18-2019, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyborg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Awesome story! People discovering P99 without ever having played EQ are my favorite type of people.

Out of curiosity, is there a legacy AC project and, if so, why aren't you playing that over EQ? Glad you're enjoying this awesome game either way!
I played on Darktide (pvp server). There are private AC servers but there has yet to be a server run by players that aren't tarnished by greed and wish to have an advantage over other players.

Too many exploits, cheats, etc on the private servers to have a fair pvp environment.

Our motto back on DT was always "exploit early, exploit often." It was the most ruthless, savage, unforgiving gaming environment ever conceived. Aside from some guild alliances / truces, it was essentially kill or be killed. We looked down on EQ players to be honest.

P99 is a super chill, friendly environment with all the glory of an old school MMO included. Exactly what I was looking for as an old washed up gamer.
Closed Thread