Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 01-29-2023, 08:50 AM
Sarnak

Default It appears NPC's in hate should pickup Book of Souls

https://web.archive.org/web/20001023....topic&index=6

Source: Safehouse EZboard
Date of post: Oct 9th, 2000

"Re: Book of Souls
Clerics now pick up items, and I think others do as well.

Drop some stuff on the ground when you have a cleric pull incoming. You'll get a funny message. Drop 10 things on the ground and your group will get spammed to death.

At first I thought it was hilarious.

Then I realized it was part of the Ragebringer nerf. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

So you basically can't just go up there now and get one unless the zone is clear. Any mobs that patrol near the book, even if below or above on the Z axis, will pick it up immediately."
Old 01-29-2023, 09:22 AM
Sarnak

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It doesnt like the direct link. Posting screencap.

To navigate to the post, you can do a search on the following, and filter on text/html. Look for the link ending in "topicID=4615.topic&index=6"

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http:/...s.showMessage*
Last edited by Vsai; 01-29-2023 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: additional way to access source material
Old 01-29-2023, 12:51 PM
Project Manager

There are many npcs in general which should pick up ground items. This is on a backlog for source development.

It's interesting that mechanic also expands to nodrop items.

Here's one from hate:

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Some npcs have specific pickup dialogue as well.

Jracol Brestiage says 'Look what I found! I hear there's a good market for these back in Highpass.. lucky me!

Nillipuss says 'Look what I found! What a great find! It used to be yours, but now it is mine!
Old 01-29-2023, 01:35 PM
Sarnak

Neat!
Old 01-29-2023, 05:53 PM
Fire Giant

I don't believe this to be 'classic', but the timeline was around early velious for sure when drop trading became higher risk.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:08 PM
Kobold

Book of Souls not being up sounds like a patched mechanic that would've led to this unintended behavior and probably fixed in a later patch.
Old 01-29-2023, 07:22 PM
Planar Protector

Definitely remember witnessing this for the first time in North Freeport, specifically because the passing guard announced their discovery of the valuable and the small "bag" item on the ground disappeared, much to the chagrin of a rl friend; at the latest, this was months before Velious as I quit before its release. The NPC behavior is also mentioned in the trilogy manual, page 4/5, Arriving in Norrath.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040730...logyManual.pdf

Quote:
Be aware that some merchants and NPCs are greedy and might pick up items they see lying on the ground.
Last edited by Ennewi; 01-29-2023 at 07:46 PM..
Old 01-30-2023, 12:43 PM
Aviak

i ran around dropping bat wings a while back trying to find all the npcs that pick up things, totally forgot to check plane of hate but found quite a few.

Item pickups:

North Qeynos
A sewer rat squeaks as it wanders.
Tubal Weaver says, 'Hey! Someone dropped a perfectly good thing-a-ma-jig! Oh well, finders keepers!'

South Qeynos
Byjan Timbokker picks up a discarded item from the ground and says, 'Don't people have enough respect for our grand city to not throw things onto the streets?!
Wrin Liltin picks up a discarded item from the ground and says, 'Don't people have enough respect for our grand city to not throw things onto the streets?!'
Iala Lenard picks up a discarded item from the ground and says, 'Don't people have enough respect for our grand city to not throw things onto the streets?!'
Lomarc says, 'I'm sure I have a few contacts who would be very pleased with this find.'
Barthal picks up a discarded item from the ground and says, 'Don't people have enough respect for our grand city to not throw things onto the streets?!'
Solani Dayadil picks up a discarded item from the ground and says, 'Don't people have enough respect for our grand city to not throw things onto the streets?!'
Gahna Salbeen picks up a discarded item from the ground and says, 'Don't people have enough respect for our grand city to not throw things onto the streets?!'
Moran Smith picks up a discarded item from the ground and says, 'Don't people have enough respect for our grand city to not throw things onto the streets?!'
Bassanio Weekin picks up a discarded item from the ground and says, 'Don't people have enough respect for our grand city to not throw things onto the streets?!'
Hansl Bigroon picks up a discarded item from the ground and says, 'Don't people have enough respect for our grand city to not throw things onto the streets?!'

Qcatacombs
A gelatinous cube absorbs a discarded item into its corrosive body

Freeport
Boomba the Big says, 'Me finds sumting. Goody!'
Ping Fuzzlecutter says, 'Lucky me! Someone has littered Freeport with good merchandise.'

Neriak
Tani N`Mar picks up something from the ground.

Paineel
Library assistant says, 'What is this? Just another piece of rubbish littering my library. The deceased are so much more tidy than the living!'

Rivervale
Nillipuss says, 'Look what I've found! What a great find! It used to be yours, but now it is mine!'
Mac Deeppockets picks up something from the ground.
Flyndia Deeppockets picks up something from the ground.

Akanon
Clockwork scrubber clicks as a plate slides to the side revealing a hose that extends and sucks up an item from the ground.
Duster V clicks as a plate slides to the side revealing a hose that extends and sucks up an item from the ground.
Clockwork sweeper clicks as a plate slides to the side revealing a hose that extends and sucks up an item from the ground.
^^ that message also for the clockwork rat that spawns in steamfont

misty-
[Wed May 25 14:32:02 2022] Sonsa Fromp picks up something from the ground.

NK-
[Wed May 25 16:53:31 2022] Bilbis Briar picks up something from the ground.

HHP- (Qeynos Hills also, tested both) - Same message for Gornolin
[Wed May 25 19:36:49 2022] Wyle Bimlin picks an item up from the ground and says, 'Hey! Look what I found! Another piece of rubbish for my trailer... Must be my lucky day.'

PoFear-
[Thu May 26 00:53:17 2022] Phoboplasm absorbs a discarded item into its corrosive body
Old 01-30-2023, 01:59 PM
Planar Protector

That is amazing ClassicQuest. My kind of stuff, hats off to you on all those messages.
Old 01-30-2023, 02:05 PM
Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't believe this to be 'classic', but the timeline was around early velious for sure when drop trading became higher risk.
I think this was always a mechanic? Part of Nillipuss's lore is that he picks up ground items (the jumjum stalks). And some fond memories from Highkeep guards if I'm not mistaken(?); it wasn't all npcs for sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elroz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i ran around dropping bat wings a while back trying to find all the npcs that pick up things, totally forgot to check plane of hate but found quite a few.

Item pickups:
Nice, thanks. I have a lot of these, but it would be great for eq in general to compile a comprehensive list from each zone.

Anyone can help with that on live. npcs pick up summoned items as well.