Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 04-10-2023, 09:33 PM
Fire Giant

Fungi will make getting out of the early levels super easy. After level 45, you don’t really need one though. I used the DW BP and helm after that and put my fungi back on another character.

As others have said, getting a good two hander is a pretty big priority. DPS is pretty low without a good weapon, and it can make killing feel super grindy. If you had enough plat to add a Fungi, a Reaver and some decent haste item (even a 21% item would be fine), you’ll find things are super easy. Get to 45, then you can ditch the fungi for even just a PSC and a deepwater helm, if you wanted to allocate the money elsewhere
Old 04-10-2023, 11:07 PM
Fire Giant

If you go dwarf, the cultural plate is pretty bussin for random slots. The other cultural armors, not so much, but potentially very colorful if you're into that.

Current gear looks solid, though. Raw HP/Mana is great at the low levels. I'd echo what the others have said. At a some point you will want more wis/mana once the face roll slows down a little and you have to rely on your spellbook a bit more. As others have pointed out, boosting your CHA a bit (at the very least via items to equip temporarily) can also be nice for lulling your way around. This will be familiar to you if you've ever played ench/cleric/bard.

If you raid at all I can also suggest some specific twink items.
Old 04-11-2023, 11:00 AM
Planar Protector

With the changes to the knight melee tables and the scaling damage bonus in the later levels pally dps with a reaver isn’t bad. I was smashing nobles with a reaver and DW Helm when it was whiff-city. These days with a fungi and the updates if you pick lower hp targets it’s probably on par with sk speed. Definitely better than a ranger unless you have an Earthcaller and sky cloak.
Old 04-11-2023, 02:42 PM
Sarnak

Thanks, lots of good info here. Hopefully I'll be able to find some groups but I'll be prepared to solo a lot at least into higher levels. Good to know it's not too bad with some haste and a solid 2h. I have a kobold's crown and I'll have to grab a crude stein since I gave mine away to a newbie enchanter.

I was thinking the venomous axe or jade mace will take me to level 20 and then damage cap jumps to 30 and I'll go 2h from there.
Old 04-11-2023, 07:38 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hey, I've been thinking about making a Pally but I'm clueless about the class. This is the gear I've collected so far:

* Neck: Black Sapphire Velium Necklace
* Head: Dragon Tooth Choker
* Ears1: Earring of Essence
* Ears2: Black Sapphire Electrum Earring
* Face: Crystal Spider Eyes
* Chest: Barbed Ringmail
* Arms: Crystal Chitin Armplates
* Back: White Bear Pelt Cloak
* Waist: Spike Seahorse Hide Belt
* Shoulders: Guardian Pauldrons
* Wrists1: Silver Chitin Wristband
* Wrists2: Silver Chitin Wristband
* Legs: Guardian Leggings
* Hands: Kobold Bone Gauntlets
* Fingers1: Velium Fire Wedding Ring
* Fingers2: Velium Fire Wedding Ring
* Feet: Lodizal Shell Boots

I also picked up a Ghoulbane. I could transfer a Spiked Seahorse Hide Belt from my Chanter main and maybe buy a Fungi to use temporarily, since I'll end up selling it when I can finally afford a Zheart. Looking for any suggestions on gear, particularly weapons for low - mid levels, relatively cheap upgrades or anything else useful for that journey besides Jboots MQ.
I put my recommendations into the armor spots. You won’t need the goblin skull earring till you get your HoT spell at 57 or 58. If you are able, the guardian armor is really good till you can get velious quest armor. Haste is your biggest upgrade, if not the belt, get schw
Old 04-11-2023, 08:26 PM
Planar Protector

GCD clickies and junk buffs are always handy. Probably not as necessary though (situational rapid rooting) outside of group tanking. If you aren’t slotting FoL in #1 and clicking while tanking you are doing it wrong.
Old 04-12-2023, 02:27 AM
Sarnak

What do you think of the Sword of Blessings as an option for when I'm sword and board tanking? Seems to be a decent ratio and even adds a little AC and some mana.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Sword_of_Blessings

I really know nothing about melee. Just thought of the sword because it would be pretty easy for me to farm.
Old 04-12-2023, 03:53 AM
Planar Protector

It’s really good and has a solid look (runed falchion). Likely not much worse than a massive dragonbone shard.
Old 04-12-2023, 10:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What do you think of the Sword of Blessings as an option for when I'm sword and board tanking? Seems to be a decent ratio and even adds a little AC and some mana.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Sword_of_Blessings

I really know nothing about melee. Just thought of the sword because it would be pretty easy for me to farm.
Just drop 10k on rod of faith. Sword and board with sarnak shield until you hit 50s and switch to 2hs
Old 04-12-2023, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

Rod of faith is pretty bad. 24/32 is worse than 19/25 without a single dmg bonus point