Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

View Poll Results: Is EXP lame compared to what you remember?
Yes 27 25.23%
No 55 51.40%
I don't care 25 23.36%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emubird [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I prefer that things be as classic as possible, so I, for one, would support making experience earning slower.
Sure that's great for you, you're already in the mid-40s.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:25 PM
Banned

It's about right early on if not even a bit too slow for the first few, but yeah later on its faster than normal.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Aviak

Its faster than it was, even taking into account the fact that we know more about the game. Red cons seem to give too much xp, while blue cons seem to give way too little. Thats about the only complaint I have, but its minor. Also a lot of the spells on this server are a lot more powerful than they were in classic. Some spells are doing a lot more damage than they did in classic, etc. That certainly speeds things up.

Anyhow, if you dont think the xp rate on live was tweaked over time, then you must have not been playing long.
Last edited by Smashed; 10-24-2009 at 03:17 PM..
Old 10-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Planar Protector

The last time I played EQLive was on the progression server, and I stopped after I got Time flagged. Perhaps my memory is a tad hazy, however - I don't remember it taking so long to level from 1 to 8.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Orc

It probably wasn't Goobles they changed the xp rates on live a long time ago now, so going from 1-10 in EQ is as easy as going 1 to 10 in WoW.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:13 PM
Large Bat

There is also the matter of the spawn rate being much quicker than I remember. My primary point of reference are the derv camps in nro. Maybe my memory is just bad, but it seems they pop a lot faster than the 18-24 minute average in classic.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Banned

Yeah on Progression I did 1-50 in about 4 days.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Large Rat

the big change in exp is the lack of player's making a lot of room for a group in a zone. I remember in 99 on my server anyway. if you went into black burrow a group got to kill about 4 mob's a spawn. each little area of mob's was a camp.
Elite ledge,water room, Snake pit, Commander room, the area below the bridge, etc etc. on this server group's run around most the time and just fight evey thing they can. i know some servers may have done things another way.
But i know it's just people knowing where to go what to kill. Also where to get gear. i know i was nude at level 9 in live lol. in 99 i made patchwork at level 4ish and then got a set of leather at 5-6 then made my self a set of banded just a few levels later. then at level 10 on my war i was making plate and he has half a set of fine plate. It's because i know how to solo or duo with my wife even at these low level's and get cash.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloronis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the big change in exp is the lack of player's making a lot of room for a group in a zone. I remember in 99 on my server anyway. if you went into black burrow a group got to kill about 4 mob's a spawn. each little area of mob's was a camp.
Elite ledge,water room, Snake pit, Commander room, the area below the bridge, etc etc. on this server group's run around most the time and just fight evey thing they can. i know some servers may have done things another way.
But i know it's just people knowing where to go what to kill. Also where to get gear. i know i was nude at level 9 in live lol. in 99 i made patchwork at level 4ish and then got a set of leather at 5-6 then made my self a set of banded just a few levels later. then at level 10 on my war i was making plate and he has half a set of fine plate. It's because i know how to solo or duo with my wife even at these low level's and get cash.
I agree with this. On live, there was way more downtime and competition for NPC's primarily due to a much larger population rather than actual experience gained. On live, for example, most of the popular leveling areas normally had several groups that claimed a named camp and would compete for blue trash mobs. This created larger downtimes for groups because experience-hungry players would get more desperate and careless with their pulls and attempt to pull more difficult and higher level mobs which often resulted in trains and wipes.

Furthermore, in classic, it was rare to find yourself free to pull whatever you want and set up a stable kill rotation. Personally, I have found it much more difficult in P1999 for a few reasons. For one, many spells do not work as they used to because of the amount of threat caused by them. Second, mobs seem to have either higher hit boxes or increased run speed across the board which makes kiting very difficult. And finally, and probably the most significant factor of my experience, is that there is a lack of high level players who sell twink weapons and gear for cheap, offer high level buffs for free or small donations (clarity, sow, SLN, etc.), or just power level friends and guildmates.

In many ways this game may seem easier than live because players have been playing MMO's for years now. For many, Everquest was their first MMO and may have appeared to be much more difficult. Although there are several differences and discrepancies on P1999, I think, after a few weeks of P1999, that the difficulty is close to par with live and that the experience gain is fine where it is at.

- Slayn
Last edited by Slayn; 10-24-2009 at 06:31 PM..
Old 10-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

The experience tables are off by one level on this server. Everyone saying that levels one to ten take longer than they should is correct. Technically every level takes longer than it should but you notice it more at the early levels. Level one for example takes seven times longer than it should, level two takes nearly three times as long, etc. This also accounts for the hell levels occuring one level earlier than they should.

In the grand scheme of things you require almost one more level than you would have needed in 1999 to get to level 50.
Closed Thread