Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 09:56 AM
Orc

Default Pick my class for me please.

Sorry, this is a long as shit post. I've been reading some about the green server and weighing up if I'll switch over to play on it when it comes. But if I do, I need help with the part of the game which is hardest for me, and that's picking a damn class to play. I've done some thinking and made some notes but the thing is, I haven't played a bunch of the different classes in classic, so I don't know how they play. So maybe there's something that you (who has played those classes) could say to convince me one way or the other.

I'm never going to raid, so how good or bad a class is in a raid setting is not relevant to me at all. I'm also kind of turned off by the gear requirements of most melee classes.

Things that I value:

Utility: Variety of play style is important to me. Being able to fill multiple rolls and do different things. Having versatility to work in a group and also solo.

Agility: Being able to move about and go to as many places as possible. SoW, Teleports, Feign Death, Invisibility, all those cool things that get you around the world quickly.

I've broken it down like this:

Quote:
THE PROBABLY NOT'S

Rogue - As someone who only knows one person on the server and plays mostly solo, the idea of taking this as a main seems gruelling. I like to play solo and this just doesn't facilitate that in any way as far as I'm aware.

Wizard - Aside from ports, they are pretty much just straight DD right? (I mean, I don't know, correct me if I'm wrong about that). I guess I never saw the wizard as a versatile class other than just nuking things into orbit.

Cleric - At the risk of offending everybody who plays Cleric... They are just pure healers right? Doesn't that get boring?

Paladin - I ain't no goody two-shoes.
Quote:
THE STRETCH MAYBE'S

Bard - I tried playing a Bard up to about level 10 and it was incredibly fun levelling so fast, but then once I hit level 10 I hit an absolute brick wall. I tried swarm kiting wisps in NK and failed and died so many times I lost a whole level and then 50% of that level before I gave up. I didn't get a single kill in that time. I just couldn't find the sweet spot to swarm kite. I either wasn't close enough for my DoT to hit, or if I did get close enough for my DoT to hit, they stunned me and then I died. Also, I'm just not sure that I found the idea of swarm kiting fun. Just running in circles. I don't know. I like the IDEA of Bard, I would bump this up if I wasn't a failure at figuring out how to not die while playing it.

Mage - I think I would really enjoy playing a Mage for their ability to solo, but I think I would also get a bit tired of the single-track focused style of gameplay. Send Pet -> Cast DD spell -> Loot -> Repeat. Do they offer anything more than that?

Warrior - Being a tank doesn't bother me, and I bet Warriors will find groups easily, and that is tempting. But it just doesn't hit the check boxes of agility and versatility in any way.

Ranger - Gets SoW right? And Snare? And Tracking! That's nice. Seems to have a fair amount of utility, but has a bad reputation? If the hybrid EXP penalty is going to be active, this is bumped down to PROBABLY NOT.

Shadowknight - Tanking, pets, DoTs, pulling. How do these guys do solo? I imagine there is some versatility in how they play and that seems fun. If the hybrid EXP penalty is going to be active, this is bumped down to PROBABLY NOT.
Quote:
THE OLD FAITHFUL

Monk - I played Iksar Monk from the Ruins of Kunark expansion in 2000 all the way up to Underfoot in 2009. Kind of a long time. I'd play it again but I feel like I should do something different. The allure is there but I don't know how much of that is actually wanting to play a monk and how much is just because it's familiar to me.
Quote:
THE MAYBE MAYBE'S

Shaman - Are there a lot of buffs to cast? Do people ask for buffs a lot? Is this something that gets annoying as a Shaman? Is your job role just to buff people all the time until you are out of mana and then med and buff people some more? How does Shaman fare solo?

Necromancer - I like DoTs, I like pets, I like being able to play solo. Has additional utility spells in things like Feign Death and versatility in playstyle to some extent (Root/Fear Rotting, Pet Tanking, Charming)
Quote:
PROBABLY ONE OF THESE UNLESS SOMEONE CONVINCES ME OTHERWISE

Druid -Variety of play style (root rotting / charming / quad kiting / healing in groups), gets lots of movement (SoW, Teleports, Invis), lots of utility. Earns sweet bucks ferrying people across the world.

Enchanter
- My only hesitation on this is that I feel like every other dude and his best friend are all going to be playing Enchanter.
So that's my thoughts. Where am I wrong? What should I pick? Help.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:06 AM
Sarnak

I'm the same. Been talking to Loramin (cause he's fucking awesome) about whether to roll Shaman or not.

It's down to Shaman, Monk, Enchanter, Magician, Necro.

I'd like to say I'd go Necro over Magician because i think it's cooler, but the ease of Mage is really tempting. What' really offputting about it though is that the Epic probably wont ever happen and it's really redundant at max level. About all it has going for it is leveling fast.

So that leaves Shaman Monk Necro Enchanter really.

I think Monk is my favorite thanks to Reptox and that it was my first REAL character on P99 ( Idon't count my level 22 Barbarian Shaman). Had so much fun as an Iksar Monk as a new player on P99, following in Reptox's footsteps and stuff, being hated by everyone. But I think I'd like to do something different.

Shaman is super useful, but I feel like it wont be super useful until Torpor. Loramin says otherwise so I'm thinking hard about it.

necro I have no experience with but from what I've read it can be a soloing powerhouse with things like Charm undead and Fearkiting and stuff. And Feign death! Who doesn't love Feign death?

Then obviously, Enchanter, for obvious reasons.

It's a hard choice that's for sure.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixteenmiles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So that's my thoughts. Where am I wrong? What should I pick? Help.
Enchanter if you're a try-hard, druid if you're casual.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

Ranger if you're a badass who is also a masochist.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:09 AM
Planar Protector

Enchanter is my consideration because doesn't give two shits about a guise or a manastone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But I kind of want a ranger because I want a dark elf ranger with a guardian robe lol
Old 09-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think Monk is my favorite thanks to Reptox and that it was my first REAL character on P99 ( Idon't count my level 22 Barbarian Shaman). Had so much fun as an Iksar Monk as a new player on P99, following in Reptox's footsteps and stuff, being hated by everyone. But I think I'd like to do something different.

Shaman is super useful, but I feel like it wont be super useful until Torpor. Loramin says otherwise so I'm thinking hard about it.
Monk is awesome and would be a solid choice.

How is Shaman solo? The idea of being useless until 60 is crazy to me. The journey is the game. If I ever get a dude to 60 on this server I'll pack it up and quit playing lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs86z [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enchanter if you're a try-hard, druid if you're casual.
I'm pretty casual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadetree [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ranger if you're a badass who is also a masochist.
I'm neither of these things... but I want to be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enchanter is my consideration because doesn't give two shits about a guise or a manastone [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

But I kind of want a ranger because I want a dark elf ranger with a guardian robe lol
Is this thread spreading false advertising that ranger is a good choice to make?
Last edited by sixteenmiles; 09-09-2019 at 11:57 AM..
Old 09-09-2019, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Enchanter is a lot harder now without the pet window.

Rangers got a significant buff and are, arguably, the most fun class to play in the game besides maybe monk.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Druid. Can quad, charm, group,etc. . Very versatile and still decent healer in classic. Bonus move - Lguk groups will love you if you charm the live side basilisk and bring it with you. Haste it and watch it out dps every melee class with a 10 second stun on top of that.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:12 PM
Planar Protector

I would love to write a big long essay about how versatile and powerful and subtle clerics are, but I don't really have time right now. Off the top of my head:
• Invis to Undead. In a zone of mostly undead, clerics have free access. Unrest, LGuk dead side, most of Kaesora...you can pop up at any camp spot you want to play. You can also cast it on others. With Sunskin at level 50 or 51, you can join forces with an invis class to double-invis both characters and waltz through almost anywhere undetected.
• Pacify. If the spawn points are arranged right, and the mobs are blue, you can be a ninja.
• Resurrect others...and yourself.
• Multiple stuns. Prevent mobs from healing themselves or dispelling you.
• Of course root, fear, blind, undead nukes, complete heal, strong HP buffs, yada yada
• You can be an evil cleric.

Secondly, you absolutely did not play your bard right. If you want to get hooked on bard, play one in a group. Look on the forums for how to play bards in groups. They make amazing pullers, too. They can also solo very scary outdoor mobs by fear-kiting or utilizing charm.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by feniin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rangers got a significant buff and are, arguably, the most fun class to play in the game besides maybe monk.
Will that buff be represented on day one of green? or is it something that will come significantly later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would love to write a big long essay about how versatile and powerful and subtle clerics are.
You write it, I'll read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Secondly, you absolutely did not play your bard right. If you want to get hooked on bard, play one in a group. Look on the forums for how to play bards in groups. They make amazing pullers, too. They can also solo very scary outdoor mobs by fear-kiting or utilizing charm.
Oh sure. I know I wasn't a good bard. But I was following a guide that said "Go kill Wisps in NK and you can level in one pull" but what actually happened was I rounded up all of the wisps, ran around in a circle trying to find the sweet spot where i was DoTting them but they weren't hitting me and it was either, no DoT tick, or a marginal adjustment to lessen the circle and they would stunlock me to death instantly. After dying that way 3-4 times, losing a whole level, and having to run back from Qey to NK each time, I decided I didn't enjoy the class.
Last edited by sixteenmiles; 09-09-2019 at 12:37 PM..
Closed Thread