Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2022, 09:19 PM
Planar Protector

Ship of Theseus. It's not the same ship, similar but different.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That was a point I made many posts ago

Oh hey look the wheelies are freely singing weeee word salad
"I like to say quantum"

-Depak
Old 08-23-2022, 09:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ship of Theseus. It's not the same ship, similar but different.
Oh goody, identity politics! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-23-2022, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiwa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If a story is exclusionary and you tell it inclusionarily(not a word), are you telling the same story?
In my opinion, no. Original descriptions sort of cease to matter then and you have to find a way to tie in all the changes in a logical way, resulting in a significantly different story based on what was changed

I have to go. Only reason I was able to post so much is because I am sitting at an ER lobby with my 19 yr old client who had OD’d a few days ago babysitting him as he draws on his khaki pants with crayon and drinks a decent amount of pen ink despite me saying that’s not good for him, all while I wonder HTF this person is his own guardian

At least he’s at the ER so they can deal with whatever the result of drinking green pen ink is. But now he has a room so I have to go
Old 08-23-2022, 09:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiwa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh goody, identity politics! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So that brings us back around to the topic.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsunghero [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How is it pragmatic to change established characters? Not only do you have to go completely out of context with the writing but also find a way to logically explain the change. For example, what happened to all the black dwarves and elves and whatever else you created? Now you have to explain why they disappeared in later works

It’s far more “pragmatic” to come up with your own original story if you want to make diversity priority 1 rather than change established ones. That’s my viewpoint
Because the story doesn't matter or you see it as meaningless, and it's just about making money. That's the pragmatic part for revising modern content to make it appealing to your target audience. Introduce multiverse excuse, blam, previous discrepancies be damned. Let the writers sort that crap out.

When you're proselytizing to a group of warriors about your resurrected messiah your approach may be different. Can't say for sure, never tried anything like that.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:11 PM
Planar Protector

Old 08-23-2022, 10:22 PM
Planar Protector

nou
Old 08-23-2022, 10:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robayon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Because the story doesn't matter or you see it as meaningless, and it's just about making money. That's the pragmatic part for revising modern content to make it appealing to your target audience. Introduce multiverse excuse, blam, previous discrepancies be damned. Let the writers sort that crap out.

When you're proselytizing to a group of warriors about your resurrected messiah your approach may be different. Can't say for sure, never tried anything like that.
“Target audience?” LOTR is already one of the most widely circulated stories of all time. It is translated into more languages than most other stories are

What is this target audience? Black people? Yes black nerds exist and they probably already liked Aragorn before he was black. Very few black non-nerds are going to become into LOTR because some producer decided to shoehorn in a black Aragorn or black dwarves

So by target audience you must mean millennials. But really we are talking about millennials who think inclusion and diversity are the highest priority in life. That’s 50% of millennials. The other 50%, the GOP side, really don’t give a shit, they just want a good story

So you’ve actually cut your “target audience” in half, which is going to happen anytime you get political, in any business medium. It’s a BAD business decision IMO
Old 08-23-2022, 11:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake1981 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah that makes me laugh.

Again, the topic was established characters being replaced. You brought up Religion and Jesus to backup your view, the view that its all silly and doesn't matter anyway. Rogaine Kaladim then agreed with your point. The point was that its silly to get upset when established characters are replaced because religion did it with Jesus so stop worrying when your favorite franchises have this happen for solid reasons, only the best reasons like always.

Then Rogaine goes and looks up the definition after I told him what it was, same thing, he argued with it to make no point at all. Now you come in like the grace of God with your shit smelling of roses (Lol).
lol’d
Closed Thread