Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 03-14-2023, 07:58 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloroform [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
back on live i picked qyenos which now i can see was really a bad idea. i chose North freeport for all my melee toons. Close to EC where you can get a lot of help with CRs n stuff.
In classic, I remember choosing wfp almost always and for similar reasons, though Tunare server also had gfay as its auction zone. Every character, right at the wfp gates simply as that was where casters were most accustomed to binding melees. Once a GM removed my character's PK status there as well, using a massive spell that had enough particles to cause lag issues. They might've only included the spell for flavor and used a command, idk, but that the place to be on Tunare. And iirc even the naked sit-in protests were held there.

If only there had been two bind locations, the birthplace starting city of the character (changed by extensive factioning/questing) and the normal bind spot resulting from a spell or locket. Halas would probably be the best choice in the case of the former, for those not wanting to rely on potions/ports to get to Vox.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In classic, I remember choosing wfp almost always and for similar reasons, though Tunare server also had gfay as its auction zone. Every character, right at the wfp gates simply as that was where casters were most accustomed to binding melees. Once a GM removed my character's PK status there as well, using a massive spell that had enough particles to cause lag issues. They might've only included the spell for flavor and used a command, idk, but that the place to be on Tunare. And iirc even the naked sit-in protests were held there.

If only there had been two bind locations, the birthplace starting city of the character (changed by extensive factioning/questing) and the normal bind spot resulting from a spell or locket. Halas would probably be the best choice in the case of the former, for those not wanting to rely on potions/ports to get to Vox.
They did eventually implement secondary binds in a couple of ways.

One implementation was the "Return Home" (and later origin?) button, where you could smash it at the start of a play session to log in to your character at it's original spawn location instead of whether you left it logged off for the night. Not classic, but it would be nice to be implemented just to reduce 'stuck character' petitions. All you had to do is be logged out for like (2? 6?) hours and next time you log in you'd have the option to return the toon home.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 03-14-2023, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyman1022 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Tell me you never plan anymore without telling me you never play anymore. Run out of guild options? lol
I apologize for living so rent free in your head that you had to necro an almost year old thread. You'll get through these dark days I promise.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Pre-Velious, the answer would have been TD firepots or outside of VP afaik. Would interesting to know, after Velious released, how many OG melees sacrificed having their bind spot at firepots in order to have ease of access to ToV via transloc/gate pot. It would still be super convenient to have, even now, since the draft leaves Faydedar untouched for some time, making it a pita to reach firepot room unless the player has DA.
Fire pots is a pretty bad place to bind for raiders. I would not advise binding there as a melee ever. Great for mobilizing rez bots, however. For Velious, you pretty much need to bind at ToV or you're not raiding there.

Pre-Velious we don't have translocate mind you, so your bind really only allows you to corpse cannon or eat a gate pot once in a blue moon. If you were gonna blow a locket, someplace like KC would make the most sense for access to VS/Gore and dungeon access for evacs to EJ/SF for Trak, Sev, Talendor, VP, etc. Otherwise, Oggok is still good for proximity to fear.

If you don't raid, just bind close to where you wanna hunt. If that's PoM or near PoM, go for it.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fire pots is a pretty bad place to bind for raiders. I would not advise binding there as a melee ever.
Click into Halas, run to Perma for Vox. At least worth it before Surefall port gets introduced? Click into Oggok, run to Fear for draco, golems, CT. Also would've assumed that ppl on green tried to Faydedar bomb, similar to Wuoshi, using firepots room but that would require gate pots before Velious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you were gonna blow a locket, someplace like KC would make the most sense for access to VS/Gore and dungeon access for evacs to EJ/SF for Trak, Sev, Talendor, VP, etc.
But if you aren't bound/camped outside VP, you've already lost the best dragons? For Sev, could just get bound right outside of Kaesora, no locket needed, and still be relatively close for Trak. Talendor, use OT hammer if no port. Otherwise, KC makes a lot of sense.

Quote:
Oggok is still good for proximity to fear.
Maybe? Easier to CR and throw oneself back into the fray unrezzed. But could just have lizard blood pots bagged and, if bound at firepots instead, click into Oggok.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:49 PM
Planar Protector

With the iffy schedule of DaP maybe the best spot is just parking where you would be able to do a quick run. It’s like 10’ish minutes from CS to ToV with better flexibility for going elsewhere. A WW bind and swirling smoke potion would be more ideal though, especially with like a Tolan BP.

Whatever you do is park in a decent spot with all the gate potions/caps available.
Old 03-14-2023, 07:37 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Click into Halas, run to Perma for Vox. At least worth it before Surefall port gets introduced? Click into Oggok, run to Fear for draco, golems, CT. Also would've assumed that ppl on green tried to Faydedar bomb, similar to Wuoshi, using firepots room but that would require gate pots before Velious.
You can't just gate, you have to use a 1000pp pot, so you're not 'clicking into' anywhere except in rare circumstances. If you were to blow a pot, you can use Potion of Frost, Lizard Blood Pot, WC cap, etc. for half price or less. Mind you, on a quake, you're definitely not gate potting into a Faye FTE, so this this would only be when mobilizing from one target to the next specifically when Faye is out of window, in which case you're probably with porters anyway. Not to mention, for Vox you just pre-park your 52's at perma, removing one of the main draws for firepots bind. Additionally, it was (probably still is) against server rules to Faye bomb, so that's moot. Lastly, if you aren't going for Faye first, every time you die, you have a chance of getting into a Faye deathloop and interfering with a raid mob.

Quote:
But if you aren't bound/camped outside VP, you've already lost the best dragons? For Sev, could just get bound right outside of Kaesora, no locket needed, and still be relatively close for Trak. Talendor, use OT hammer if no port. Otherwise, KC makes a lot of sense.
There's no competition in VP until the number one guild stops caring (e.g. Velious launches). If there was magically competition, you can bind at KC ZL and port from there. When not going for VP, spawning naked in SF as melee esp. before soulbound keys is real bad.
Last edited by Keebz; 03-14-2023 at 07:40 PM..
Old 03-14-2023, 09:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
You can't just gate, you have to use a 1000pp pot,
Quote:
that would require gate pots before Velious
Or camp out in firepots room, unless that's against the rules too. For pre-Kunark quakes, click either Halas or Oggok firepot, depending on the target called. If neither, camp out elsewhere beforehand and gate pot back to pivot to either after other targets are killed.

Quote:
so you're not 'clicking into' anywhere except in rare circumstances. If you were to blow a pot, you can use Potion of Frost, Lizard Blood Pot, WC cap, etc.
Die at raid? Click appropriate firepot for a shorter CR, rather than waiting on drag/rez or wasting a banked port potion.

Quote:
Mind you, on a quake, you're definitely not gate potting into a Faye FTE, so this this would only be when mobilizing from one target to the next specifically when Faye is out of window, in which case you're probably with porters anyway.
Majority of posts suggest Fayededar isn't in aggro range if bound in the room, barring player interference.

Quote:
Not to mention, for Vox you just pre-park your 52's at perma, removing one of the main draws for firepots bind.
"I would not advise binding there as a melee ever."

Ever includes before I have a 52 alt to park. If no 52 alt is available to park, because I'm a filthy casual or just joined during Kunark, firepots work as an option even if level 60, as any player over 52 can still help clear giants/handle adds.

Quote:
Additionally, it was (probably still is) against server rules to Faye bomb, so that's moot.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=189856

Quote:
Q28: Where are starting lines for FTE racers?
Faydedar: On the island with the Ogre camp (#1 on wiki map).
...is the only reference available from search so far and it pertains to natural respawns.

Quote:
Lastly, if you aren't going for Faye first, every time you die, you have a chance of getting into a Faye deathloop and interfering with a raid mob.
Again, presumably Fayededar isn't in aggro range if bound in the room barring player interference.

Quote:
There's no competition in VP until the number one guild stops caring (e.g. Velious launches).
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=401286

Quote:
04-05-2022, 03:46 PM
Kobold

TMO (The Mystical Order) went in first, and was closely followed by IB (Inglourious Basterds). Scoring kills on the very first day. I think there was a roll on who would get to kill which dragon on opening day, so we were assigned our requisite targets.

As time went on it was a typical race for FTE which became very heated and competitive forcing us to adopt some very innovative and interesting (at least to me) tactics some of which were some of the coolest things I've seen in EQ yet, including moving our entire raid force to an area that was essentially unaccessible and not forseen by the GMs which caused them to eventually ban using the location.

Overall it was a lot of fun. Phara Dar was a loot pinata, but I stopped playing my warrior just before it was my turn to loot a crown. Ahh well whatever.

But to really answer your question our leadership had pretty good intel on the ins and outs of the dungeon well before we went in. All that was left was to fine tune the individual engagements.
Lots of other threads about TMO and IB fighting over the zone. VP became the Class C competitive zone with Class R restricted guilds not having access to it. Your join date is older goes back even further than all of that though.

Quote:
If there was magically competition, you can bind at KC ZL and port from there. When not going for VP, spawning naked in SF as melee esp. before soulbound keys is real bad.
Bot porters bound/camped outside VP to grab those who died.

Quote:
When not going for VP, spawning naked in SF as melee esp. before soulbound keys is real bad.
Fair enough, but then guild could simply bind there during Kunark to get back into a fight quicker without rezzing, melees full health, casters full mana? Extreme, yes, but more neckbeardy things have been done on here.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:19 PM
Fire Giant

Sorry to sperg out on you there. The important pretext is "as a raider". If you are a casual do whatever you want. I just wanted to provide perspective to balance your claims a little for posterity.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Sorry to sperg out on you there. The important pretext is "as a raider". If you are a casual do whatever you want. I just wanted to provide perspective to balance your claims a little for posterity.
Nbd. It's what the forums are for...splitting hairs, poking holes, etc. Admittedly, in the current timeline, firepots would only be convenient for retired/non-raiders and small guilds that have their own version of competition, low-manning profitable targets early. Undermining my own argument, I wouldn't change my main's ToV bind to TD if it was still possible, unless full BiS and even then only because it's easy enough to get from CS rings to ToV as a bard.