Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 01-30-2023, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSparkle001 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There won't be a victory. There will be an uneasy truce with Russia controlling some parts of Ukraine and rebel/terrorist attacks happening on the regular. It is going to be ugly for a very long time.
Agreed.

Even if Russia was able to defeat the Ukrainian military, Ukraine would just be Chechen 2.0 with all the sectarian violence. A WAY larger force too.

Ukraine is a huge country too. Russia would spend so much trying to keep things under control.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah I never thought about it but Sochi has to also be a warm water port too, right? It's nearby.

That's what this conflict is over in my opinion. Control of the Black Sea.

I mean, sure the potential spread of NATO and the West's influence over Ukraine is a big part, but losing access to the Black Sea would probably cripple Russia.
sochi freezes too

without sevastapol, russia's only year-round ice free port is kaliningrad, which isn't even in russia, its in poland/lithuania
Old 01-30-2023, 08:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexller [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
sochi freezes too

without sevastapol, russia's only year-round ice free port is kaliningrad, which isn't even in russia, its in poland/lithuania
Oh shit, then yeah, it's even more important.

But historically, Russia has never had a strong navy. There's even a story from 1905 when they went to war with Japan where Japan just absolutely destroyed their navy.

But yeah, getting blocked from the Black Sea would be a step too far for Russia.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh shit, then yeah, it's even more important.

But historically, Russia has never had a strong navy. There's even a story from 1905 when they went to war with Japan where Japan just absolutely destroyed their navy.

But yeah, getting blocked from the Black Sea would be a step too far for Russia.
you're right in 1904 during the russo-japanese war, the russian navy got their ass beat so hard that many russian sailors killed their officers, and then returned to shore, and killed more officers

their navy is so bad, that their flagship aircraft carrier (russias only carrier) built in the 70s has spent more time in ports getting repaired, than it has spent in open waters. about 80% of its life is in dry dock. pretty much everything about its design is garbage. Even when it is deployed to sea, it travels with tugboats because it is expected to fail. Serving on this ship is seen as a punishment within the russian navy. You know thats some secrets they wish they stole during they KGB heydays

good times in the russian military, glad to see things have not improved.
Last edited by Trexller; 01-30-2023 at 08:48 PM..
Old 01-30-2023, 08:45 PM
Planar Protector

I remember in the first call of duty they sent me to the front lines without a gun.

I earned my stripes that day. I have seen what it's like to stare death in the face and I took that hill.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobaber [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember in the first call of duty they sent me to the front lines without a gun.

I earned my stripes that day. I have seen what it's like to stare death in the face and I took that hill.
2nd Call of Duty (world at war)

battle of stalingrad, there weren't hills and you get a gun almost immediately

the russian army did this alot in ww2, theres no time to train, and limited rifles to go around, so you followed a guy and when he got shot, you took his gun/ammo

what an ass backwards country, here in America we'd be like, "Hey don't worry about being short on rifles, I got plenty of my own"

A japanese admiral was interviewed post-WWII who clearly stated: "We never had any intention of invading the USA, for the only reason that behind every blade of grass, is an American with a rifle"

You're god damn mother fucking right there is.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:52 PM
Planar Protector

They pretty much did the same thing during the special military operation. Just sent a bunch of people who had no idea what they were doing into ukraine, driving tanks off bridges and shit.

Imagine drowning in a tank and losing a battleship in land war.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobaber [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They pretty much did the same thing during the special military operation. Just sent a bunch of people who had no idea what they were doing into ukraine, driving tanks off bridges and shit.

Imagine drowning in a tank and losing a battleship in land war.
Probably better off without the battleship these days.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussenseiter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yeah if you don't have an entire carrier group or battle task force, any ship of any class is a useless sitting duck on its own, unless it was designed specifically to be alone, like submarines.

all surface naval vessels are designed to work in groups as a team

yet another piece of modern warfare strategy totally lost on russians.
Old 01-30-2023, 09:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussenseiter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

"Эй, где мы должны припарковать эту штуку??" 🤷