Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs > Green Bugs

Old 02-21-2023, 09:35 PM
Banned

I've heard that Bow damage is also determined by STR, and not by DEX.

Isn't it supposed to be DEX?
Old 02-21-2023, 09:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsten_Tx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure what that would accomplish. My theory is that the bug causijg primary hand damage bonus, is also causing the algorithm that checks weapon skill to miss archery skill, thus throttling the damage from the range slot.

The reason i want to test BFG in primy, versus secondary, is its the 1 weapon that can be used in both.
Because if there is a big difference, both are 1HS weapons so your weapon skill would be the same and you can rule out weapon skill as the determining factor.

It's just a process of narrowing down the source of the archery damage one thing at a time.

I am trying to get the mob we all used on Live to parse archery damage because he was perma-rooted with high regen to also be perma-rooted here. Currently he is not. https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=414909

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 02-21-2023, 11:55 PM
Aviak

I dont think you are following.

When you put a bow in your range slot, with no weapons equiped your attack is really low.

What I suspect is that there is some sort of bug where archery skill itself isnt factored whent he range slot is utilized.

So what I am going to do tomorrow on the Paineel guards (high HP low level mobs) is do a parse test with BFG in primary, and then in Ranged.

If my theory is true, the bfg will perform better when used from primary, than from ranged.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:02 AM
Planar Protector

I would highly suggest reading through this thread to its entirety.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=374659

And no it isn't all about PvP archery it applies to blue too. But not much because the low damage still isn't worth it.

In essence, it is the delay on the main hand weapon.

and Weighted Ax on Troll or Ogre or Barbarian - warrior will give you the exaggerated damage change you are experiencing.

The best you can try for is the Earthshaker as a ranger.

Luclin release date was December 4, 2001
And the indication from the posts is archery damage output on live, even before Luclin - was still not worth it...... BUT was a lot more than currently on P99.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/...2&p=2#comments

P99 devs are aware of the issue and will probably fix it all servers for the red community. But you can bet the numbers seen in those posts on Allakazam won't be seen on P99... and I can't blame the Devs for not dwelling this.

Why work on something that was never really applicable until Luclin.
Old 02-22-2023, 08:58 AM
Aviak

We are aware of the primary hand damage bonus, thats been posted in other forums and not the topic of this discussion.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsten_Tx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We are aware of the primary hand damage bonus, thats been posted in other forums and not the topic of this discussion.
Ok if testing Archery misses. Use an Ice Burrower. I once saw 11 misses in a row while bow kiting it.
Old 02-22-2023, 11:34 AM
Aviak

OK tested Damage this morning and it proved my theory wrong, Damage between BFG in primary versus ranged was identical.

Therefore that it is not the issue in terms of explaining why archery damage is so abysmal.

It is however apparent that it is throttled.

As an example the Min, Average and Max hit for 23 damage (BFG + Summoned Arrows) on a green con paineel guard was 2, 31.14, and 52 respectively.

This does not include the 42 damage bonus from delay.

So essentially, not only is Archery damage "nerfed" on P99 since double damage, NOR trueshot affect our bonus (which technically doesnt exist unless we bug it with a slow primary 2 hander), but the base archery damage itself is severly throttled for reasons, I cannot seem to diagnose.

As the state of the server stands right now. IF I had someone anchor (non rooted, tanked) that same greeen con paineel guard, using the War Bow of Rallos Zek, I would of done 19,834 damage with 140 shots over the course of 319 seconds, for around 62.2 DPS. That is rather embarassing for a BIS bow, average raid geared ranger. And I am fairly certain the performance on live was far superior.

Rangers, literally face a worst case scenario right now in terms of DPS on P99. We face a slew of artificially rooted raid encounters, in addition to throttled archery base damage, AND bugged bonus damage which is not factored into double damage or trueshot.

While we should be able to decently compete in a non trueshot fashion with bow DPS, we should also be a viable "delete" option with trueshot that just isnt happening.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

Trueshot is basically only good for being lazy on CT or meme Vindi DPS. I haven't found a compelling reason to use archery over ToV 1h'ers or 2h'ers. If archery was hitting the way it was on those live logs, you'd see a whole lot more rangers with their bows out. I'm ready to replace my bow with a CT brain since I never use it.
Old 02-22-2023, 01:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by feniin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Trueshot is basically only good for being lazy on CT or meme Vindi DPS. I haven't found a compelling reason to use archery over ToV 1h'ers or 2h'ers. If archery was hitting the way it was on those live logs, you'd see a whole lot more rangers with their bows out. I'm ready to replace my bow with a CT brain since I never use it.
As a fellow ranger I feel exactly like you.

But lets be honest this is how it was in Live too until Luclin (even if archery received a slight boost.)

Mages, knights and rangers have their niche but aren't raid core classes.

The classic experience!
Old 02-22-2023, 03:13 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botten [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As a fellow ranger I feel exactly like you.

But lets be honest this is how it was in Live too until Luclin (even if archery received a slight boost.)

Mages, knights and rangers have their niche but aren't raid core classes.

The classic experience!
This isnt really accurate. Even in velious era in 2001 the Windstriker was commonly regarded as best bow in game despite priceless, primals and warbow. This was because those bows werent really around till Luclin because those mobs, oftentimes, werent killed till after SoL came out.

Having said that, it wasnt nearly as bad as it is here. I remember SoL making it so archery wasnt just an "eh" but rather a "holy shit"...