Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 03-17-2023, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, casting the spells on your spell list requires just as much innovation as creating the world's first airplane: great analogy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
thanks, glad we can agree!
Old 03-17-2023, 03:22 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Here's a simple thought experiment: let's say P99 is super accurate in most regards, but the charm success rate (or any other mechanic that affects charming, eg. the channeling success rate) is 20% higher here than on live: what would that look like?
I think we're in agreement on the goal of classic mechanics. Make channeling rates classic. Make charm resists classic. I'm for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yes, casting the spells on your spell list requires just as much innovation as creating the world's first airplane: great analogy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I know you find it implausible but I expect p99 style charming will survive updates that make p99 mechanics more classic. The classic guides we've seen here seem to support it: some enchanter guides not keeping a charmed pet suggesting poor tactics, but here a guide with better tactics saying it works great to keep a pet.
Old 03-17-2023, 03:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivitron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think we're in agreement on the goal of classic mechanics. Make channeling rates classic. Make charm resists classic. I'm for it.

I know you find it implausible but I expect p99 style charming will survive updates that make p99 mechanics more classic. The classic guides we've seen here seem to support it: some enchanter guides not keeping a charmed pet suggesting poor tactics, but here a guide with better tactics saying it works great to keep a pet.
If they "nerfed" charming so much that people didn't solo charm (or charm in groups) that would be the opposite of my goal. My goal is classic EQ, and there is clear evidence that some people did charm in classic.

There is space between "every Enchanter charms, mostly while soloing, and in the rare cases when they group ... they also charm" (basically how it is on P99 now) and "Enchanters never charm". We have a wealth of evidence that classic EQ fell somewhere in that space.

P.S I personally want to main an Enchanter in Green 2.0, and I want to solo a good portion of the time with them. I just don't want P99 easy mode when I do it; I want the classic challenge.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-18-2023, 05:03 AM
Sarnak

If I make a topic ”How classic is enchanter charm and is FSI worth it?”

You guys wanna gamble on who posts first, Loramin or DSM?
Old 03-18-2023, 09:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
If they "nerfed" charming so much that people didn't solo charm (or charm in groups) that would be the opposite of my goal. My goal is classic EQ, and there is clear evidence that some people did charm in classic.

There is space between "every Enchanter charms, mostly while soloing, and in the rare cases when they group ... they also charm" (basically how it is on P99 now) and "Enchanters never charm". We have a wealth of evidence that classic EQ fell somewhere in that space.

P.S I personally want to main an Enchanter in Green 2.0, and I want to solo a good portion of the time with them. I just don't want P99 easy mode when I do it; I want the classic challenge.
So don't stack charisma gear or tash your pet. Also when charm breaks, don't use your 1 second stun.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infectious [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So don't stack charisma gear or tash your pet. Also when charm breaks, don't use your 1 second stun.
That's not classic at all: we know that Enchanters in classic knew Charisma helped, and we know they used the spells on their spell list.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 03-18-2023 at 01:08 PM..
Old 03-20-2023, 05:56 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajbert [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I make a topic ”How classic is enchanter charm and is FSI worth it?”

You guys wanna gamble on who posts first, Loramin or DSM?
Lol this is hilarious. Let's be real though, way more plausible 2023 gamers are just built different than 2000 gamers. Everyone min maxes everything now and if you don't charm in a group you're just bad. Back then people were just happy to have c and haste. Hell people were impressed just seeing someone with an epic back then.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:56 PM
Planar Protector

Think about how bad the average p99 player today is.

Now think about how bad the average eq player was in 2000.

Thats why charm is more prevalent.
Old 03-22-2023, 01:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Think about how bad the average p99 player today is.

Now think about how bad the average eq player was in 2000.

Thats why charm is more prevalent.
I think a huge thing is we have much clearer guides on how to combo the spells to deal with things like charm breaks, etc.

Many guides, such as the one I copypasted here, clearly knew which spells to use and what to do, but really talked around the actual issue of how to do it.

We got some really good SOPS on p99.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 03-22-2023, 02:06 PM
Planar Protector

people in 1980 - It's impossible to play through this whole game!

people in 2020 - I beat that old game in 1.46 seconds, a new world record!