Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2019, 06:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not saying I'm going to sway him, I'm saying his stated motivation is clearly not his actual motivation.
Right. He (and the others) has been 95+% consistently making mechanics classic for over a decade AND says that's what he is trying to do... but we totally should not believe him because of a handful of exceptions that are generally explained by the fact that this is a hobby and handled by volunteers.

Why didn't I think of that?!
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 12-01-2019 at 06:20 PM..
Old 12-01-2019, 06:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uuruk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're the dipshit that continued to level a class that didnt have pets past 34. We are all laughing at you.
such an insightful person.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:30 PM
Sarnak

As I write this, there are 2,474 people playing across the four servers.

Players are still playing with the wacky dynamic lighting and locked close up clip plane. Players are still playing with magicians not having high end pets. Players are still playing with drop rates pushing towards days while following a list command prompting relatively close attention to being alive or lose your spot. Players are still playing with a mixture of both classic and non-classic aspects in a ~classic~ environment.

But opening the Green server made a few headlines.

Pretty sure the devs are not in any hurry to fix anything right now.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:34 PM
Kobold

My Mage has been parked at level 24 for a couple weeks now. After some procrastination, I was willing to do the Research grind until I found out that pets didn't exist after level 34. I'm willing to put the work in, but not if I'm going to hit a wall in 10 levels. I don't care if they never put pets on vendors. I just want to be able to play my Mage again.
Old 12-01-2019, 06:42 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siege [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My Mage has been parked at level 24 for a couple weeks now. After some procrastination, I was willing to do the Research grind until I found out that pets didn't exist after level 34. I'm willing to put the work in, but not if I'm going to hit a wall in 10 levels. I don't care if they never put pets on vendors. I just want to be able to play my Mage again.
The "wall" would at a minimum be 15 levels from where you currently are. I played a mage because I enjoy playing one, I could have grouped but chose to solo at the end because I had RL stuff to take care of and needed to randomly afk.

All this mage talk has me thinking about rolling another mage. Maybe another human mage!
Old 12-01-2019, 06:54 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uuruk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're the dipshit that continued to level a class that didnt have pets past 34. We are all laughing at you.
I play a shaman actually, moron. I just said all the mages I leveled with have quit.
Zekdos - Troll SK
Old 12-01-2019, 06:59 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Right. He (and the others) has been 95+% consistently making mechanics classic for over a decade AND says that's what he is trying to do... but we totally should not believe him because of a handful of exceptions that are generally explained by the fact that this is a hobby and handled by volunteers.

Why didn't I think of that?!
Here is the problem... you are defending positions you don't agree with/don't understand by deflecting... you are explaining away instances that aren't classic by arguing why they are fine or basically saying they are making mistakes because they are volunteers or don't have time to fix it. Nilbog knows about the mage pet issue and CAN fix it now. I feel like your goal is to defend the project UNCONDITIONALLY instead of actually providing a logical argument why it should be this way.

Also to the people saying /list is classic, it isn't because it is completely changing the way people play significantly by automating it. It is literally changing player behavior and in most cases in live people respected the camp. Whether you want /list or not, it is the most significant deviation I've seen from classic everquest since I've started playing here.
Zekdos - Troll SK
Old 12-01-2019, 07:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here is the problem... you are defending positions you don't agree with/don't understand by deflecting... you are explaining away instances that aren't classic by arguing why they are fine or basically saying they are making mistakes because they are volunteers or don't have time to fix it. Nilbog knows about the mage pet issue and CAN fix it now. I feel like your goal is to defend the project UNCONDITIONALLY instead of actually providing a logical argument why it should be this way.

Also to the people saying /list is classic, it isn't because it is completely changing the way people play significantly by automating it. It is literally changing player behavior and in most cases in live people respected the camp. Whether you want /list or not, it is the most significant deviation I've seen from classic everquest since I've started playing here.
The problem is this is nilbog's show, and he's said how he wants to run it and does indeed largely run it that way, but some people aren't content enough with a volunteer-run, donation-supported hobby project that is graciously made available to them to play it without bitching that nilbog isn't running the show PRECISELY the way they want it to be run.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem is this is nilbog's show, and he's said how he wants to run it and does indeed largely run it that way, but some people aren't content enough with a volunteer-run, donation-supported hobby project that is graciously made available to them to play it without bitching that nilbog isn't running the show PRECISELY the way they want it to be run.
My answer to that is that this is the only good eq server that exists. So let's say they screw up green and it dies, that's pretty much it. I can definetly appreciate nilbog/rogean's work on this project, and back in 2014 or 2015 before velious was out I would constantly defend/praise p99 to anyone who would listen. However, I think many of the decisions made for green recently have gone against the original spirit of the project. My theory as to why that might be is that once the project was finished they wanted to keep making more changes, which is why there are a lot of things being added to the game recently that no one really wants.
Zekdos - Troll SK
Old 12-01-2019, 08:02 PM
Kobold

It's ridiculous to purposely make a class "unfinished" at server launch because "It was Classic"

Even the idiot who whined on the forums to make it happen admits they didn't think it through. They were bent on getting the class nerfed and didn't give a black steer's tuckus on a moonless prairie what the actual consequences would be for EVERYONE who wants to play the class and just lvl it normally to 50 with access to it's most critical and basic spells.

I really don't understand the reasoning behind launching the servers with mages in this state. It's got to be the most shortsighted decision I've ever seen made in an MMO. Let me go play Forensic Forum Search and find some ambiguous claim 20 years ago that "X Class" didn't have their most critical spell during x and x time. Hopefully Dolalin is playing that class and it gets whacked.

I also find it ironic that mages can't get a proper pet after lvl 34, yet chanters still enjoy OP Charm. Talk about rubbing a dog's nose in *&^%$ lol

There have been plenty of non classic changes made because leaving them in their current state was game breaking. This is irrefutable and immediately negates any "It was Classic" argument out the window. It's self serving at this point to try to straddle that high horse PUHLEASE

Especially when this class has been working perfectly fine on the same project for 10 years. It's not like mages are part of the Trinity. Come Kunark 95% of them will get COTH and become summon bots anyways. They aren't going to make or break any raid on these servers because they have their pets.

There were so many factors that contributed to the state of the game at Classic release. Most of them had nothing to do with the game itself. We're talking about SOE here. A company that was notorious (B I G) for releasing products much earlier than they should have with unfinished class mechanics and content.

Why would we recreate a broken game because some jackass in marketing 20 years ago wanted to push the game before it was ready for release?

Give mages their entire spell line of pets. If they have to be researched, fine, whatever, but give me break. The servers should have never launched like this. Bad decision. Huge mistake. I get it. The server is free and we're all thankful, but can a class at least have access to all of it's most critical spell line in some way?

I don't think that's asking too much. Anyone trying to argue that mages should be knee capped like this are a bunch of losers, scouring decades old forums trying to play detective, probably putting more work into gimping other classes than they are actually putting into the game.
Closed Thread