Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 09-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Kobold

Default Some corrupt zone files?

When I am at work I do have some time to play. I literally watch paint dry. So I have this older computer at work that I have had P99 on for some time. And it plays the game pretty well. But I still have just a couple of issues and I'm wondering if someone can help me out with them.

Certain zones give this computer hell apparently. I can't even zone into them sometime. Sola is one of them, Highpass is another. However when I load Steamfont, Greater Faydark, and some other zones it does just fine. After about 10 tries it might let me into Highpass or Sola eventually. But man it's brutal.

Another problem I have is when I have been in a zone like Sola for awhile my computer gets really glitchy. It's like the clock speed is thrown off or something. And it makes the game run really fast and glitchy. I always shut it down as soon as I see this, because I could see how this could be misconstrued as some kind of alteration that is not allowed on the server.

I guess one question I have is if I go in and delete the zone files will the patcher reinstall them properly if my problem is simply a corrupted file? Or will I just need to reinstall the game all together?

The specs of the comp at work:
AMD Dual Core 5200
2gb of ram
Windows XP
Nvidia Geforce 8800 GS

I know that isn't top of the line but it's a work computer. And I would think far sufficient enough to operate this emulator. I have updated the graphics drivers. I have all effects off.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

Maybe try: http://www.project1999.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3609
Old 09-18-2013, 05:22 PM
Fire Giant

I had this same situation pop up a few days back. I went to log on a character in Felwithe and had the "zone files may be corrupt, try a fresh install" etc. text box pop up. Freaked me out.

I restarted the computer and had no problems. However, I logged out of the game and ran a Registry cleaner and had something like 14 registry link errors that were repaired. In fact, every time I play the game and clean the computer later I come up with a few registry errors. Simply from playing the client w/ launcher, nothing else being run.

I'm uncertain what the interaction of the client and launcher may have but I suspect that something is up. Short answer is - clean / repair the comp every week or so and see if the error keeps showing.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Kobold

I will try both of these fixes guys. Thanks for the input. I am not getting a zone file corrupted message or anything. I am just assuming that's what it is as it only does it in certain zones and the computer runs the ones I can enter just fine.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:47 AM
Sarnak

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dyna...42f&ItemID=153

this should fix your issue.